What's going on with Crossmen?

ah but it is like a sport....it IS a competition.

and, like someone else in here said, why keep doing the same things when you get the same results?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B.S. the money is secondary. Forget I mentioned money I think the point still stands. It is in incredibly poor taste, in my opinion, to be naming individuals and publicly calling for their dismissal in the context of drum corps. Politicians, public administrators, sure. Drum corps caption heads, not so much in my opinion. I think our willingness to do that sort of thing is largely an unfortunate reality in the online world.

I could not disagree more. The public has a right to complain about individuals who they deem to provide substandard service whether it is an NFL coach with a million dollar salary or the counter help at McDonald's. The management can evaluate our complaints as valid or bull and act accordingly. If there is someone with more talent than the arranger or guard tech or even the volunteer cook (if you are lucky enough to be choosy there), that person should have the opportunity to produce a better product for the audience and even “for the kids”.

Edited by OICMR corps

I

could not disagree more. The public has a right to complain about individuals who they deem to provide substandard service whether it is an NFL coach with a million dollar salary or the counter help at McDonald's. The management can evaluate our complaints as valid or bull and act accordingly. If there is someone with more talent than the arranger or guard tech or even the volunteer cook (if you are lucky enough to be choosy there), that person should have the opportunity to produce a better product for the audience and even “for the kids”.

We have the right to do lots of things. That doesn't make them all the right things to do.

we'll have to agree to disagree. aside from the other issues Crossmen have had since the move, which vary from year to year, you can not deny the one consistent complaint since they moved is the arrangements

We have the right to do lots of things. That doesn't make them all the right things to do.

We aren't going to agree but if I wasn't clear, I believe it is the "right thing to do" to give the person with the most talent the job.

We aren't going to agree but if I wasn't clear, I believe it is the "right thing to do" to give the person with the most talent the job.

No, we agree on that point. :laughing:

B.S. the money is secondary. Forget I mentioned money I think the point still stands. It is in incredibly poor taste, in my opinion, to be naming individuals and publicly calling for their dismissal in the context of drum corps. Politicians, public administrators, sure. Drum corps caption heads, not so much in my opinion. I think our willingness to do that sort of thing is largely an unfortunate reality in the online world.

well, I will just disagree then.

This is a discussion forum where theories are floated and discussed. Drum Corps make staff changes every year. IMO it is not out of line to speculate what those changes might be, or say what you hope they might be.

well, I will just disagree then.

This is a discussion forum where theories are floated and discussed. Drum Corps make staff changes every year. IMO it is not out of line to speculate what those changes might be, or say what you hope they might be.

Exactly. DCP is the sports talk radio of the drum corps activity. As long as everyone understands that, I don't see a problem. As long as the corps, their staffs, corps members and fans understand that, I don't see a big deal with speculation and discussion.

Here is what I have to say. Since I have been very vocal about Guidry in the past. I always said I would give him another chance. The previous years he has not had the greatest drum corps heads around him. He hasn't had people willing to work with him. This is the first year the Crossmen have a crew actually willing to work together as a whole. They have some great programming minds on their team now and Guidry is listening to their advice and I honestly have to say that this years arrangements are worlds better than what the Crossmen have had in the past. It is still a learning process for everyone. Once Guidry figures out what he is missing in his Crossmen arrangements I think they will be find. The whole thing is finding what is missing. I saw the show a couple times so far this year. I was entertained. My biggest issue was performance. It is a really young hornline since a lot of vets jumped ship ( which I have no problem with their reasons for doing so). The Crossmen know they put themselves in a deeeeeep hole after last years design nightmare and probably the best talent they have had in years. A lot of that talent is spread out accross your top 5 or 6 now.

The only thing they need to do is clean things up and fine tune some design things. The best way to get into finals is having a cleaner show than the people around you. Scouts got it down.. easy show... #### cleans up fast start out strong, never look back. And they probably had an easier time recruiting thanks to their staff.

Crossmen.. easier show than past years.. but a very immature corps (especially the hornline). They got their work cut out for them. And they know that.

Just clean it up and perform the #### out of it bones. You have a vehicle this year more so than the many years before. There will be doubters... I was once.

Could the arrangements be better?? Yes.. but we are also comparing things to the awesome metheny shows of the past. I don't know... i just think opinions will change about this show as things clean up. When I saw it last horn were rough.. stuff was still dirty. Its hard to like some parts when there are gross individual stickouts.. but I know that will change.

This years horn line reminds me a lot of '08 and they had a lot less of a show to work with. And you saw what they did. Cleaned up to have a great brass sound.. IMO a lot better than many corps around them. They just gotta get rid of the distracting ticks. They will go away... opinons will change. There is still a good chunk of season left. Do it up BONES.

Look at me being Mr. Optimistic.