Your input needed

The Best Years  

102 members have voted

1. 1. When exactly was drum corps at its artistic best?

• Before 1965
    • 1966-1970
    • 1971-1975
    • 1976-1980
    • 1981-1985
    • 1986-1990
    • 1991-1995
    • 1996-2000
    • 2001-2005
    • 2006-2010

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's possible to judge which drum corps era is more "artistic." Like all things drum corps changes from year to year so judging 2000 era corps' to corps' of the 70's is a foolish task. So many different guidelines and judging techniques between those years and different styles for sure.

I don't think it's possible to judge which drum corps era is more "artistic." Like all things drum corps changes from year to year so judging 2000 era corps' to corps' of the 70's is a foolish task. So many different guidelines and judging techniques between those years and different styles for sure.

You may be correct however people still have opinions and that’s what this poll is about.

86-90 for me ......... I look at it like this...

Today's corps has rudimental elements that weren't available before 1990. These rudimental elements were explored and developed from 84-90. I would say close to perfected most of those elements by 1993 and the rest is history.

Zingali, Brubaker, Sylvester, Prime, etc etc etc. This was the time when they were all turning the "art" of drum corps on it's ear. Not much new has come since ...... just different flavors and twists.

new sig: Pyware killed drumcorps

Didn't think too hard about it, but I think 91-95 was AMAZING. Consider some of these:

SCV 91 - Miss Saigon, the guard, the flag, the drums!!!

Star 91 - Roman whatever, mello line, reflective things, drill!

Cadets 91 - ABCs, very brave

BD 91 - Bflat, also pretty brave

Cadets 92-93 - Holsinger years, terrific design of wind ensemble music

Crossmen 92-94 - Planet Earth series

VK 92 - Mystery Tour Part 3, with shark!

BD 94 - became what they are today

Cavies 94 - Rituals, very interesting show

SCV 94 - Red Poppy

BK 94 - Trittico!!

Cadets 95 - WW2 show, props, Swing swing swing, and Iwo Jima

Crossmen 95 - Scandal

SCV 95 - Not the Nutcracker (wtf?)

Coats 95 - Another WW2 show

Appreciated.

But I can counter at least some of that with the previous block (86-90).

SVC...an incredible 5 year stretch of excellence (beats Miss Saigon by a longshot)

Star...on the rise and becoming dangerous (can't question the fact that the early 90's were their heyday, however)

Cadets...Appalatian Spring and Les Mis...two great shows, two great drumlines, and they won in 90 to boot

Crossmen...emerged from near extinction to make finals again

BD 88. Nuff Said

VK with their two best shows of all time 87 and 88

Florida Wave nearing finalist status (didn't quite make it)

Suncoast Sound at their very best (86 and 88 and 89)

Spirit of Atlanta kicking ### and taking numbers in 86 (also beating the winner early on in 87 after having done so in 86 convincingly)

27th Lancers swan song

BlueCoats on the rise

SkyRiders best show ever (86)

Phantom Regiment best show ever (89)

Sky Riders BEATING Phantom Regiment (86) lol.

Some of the most amazing drumlines EVER...BD 86, 87, 88, 90, SCV 87, 88, Cadets 86,87,88,89, Phantom 88, VK 87, 88, Star 89, Crossmen 90

On EDIT: how could I forget BD 86, truly the last of the old school great shows!

Boston Crusaders making their first legitimate run at finals (90)

and, of course, the rise of the Cavaliers from back of the pack to top three (setting up their first win in 92)

plus Madison winning their last title (so far?)

Edited by WestCoaster

Appreciated.

But I can counter at least some of that with the previous block (86-90).

SVC...an incredible 5 year stretch of excellence (beats Miss Saigon by a longshot)

Star...on the rise and becoming dangerous (can't question the fact that the early 90's were their heyday, however)

Cadets...Appalatian Spring and Les Mis...two great shows, two great drumlines, and they won in 90 to boot

Crossmen...emerged from near extinction to make finals again

BD 88. Nuff Said

VK with their two best shows of all time 87 and 88

Florida Wave nearing finalist status (didn't quite make it)

Suncoast Sound at their very best (86 and 88 and 89)

Spirit of Atlanta kicking ### and taking numbers in 86 (also beating the winner early on in 87 after having done so in 86 convincingly)

27th Lancers swan song

BlueCoats on the rise

SkyRiders best show ever (86)

Phantom Regiment best show ever (89)

Sky Riders BEATING Phantom Regiment (86) lol.

Some of the most amazing drumlines EVER...BD 86, 87, 88, 90, SCV 87, 88, Cadets 86,87,88,89, Phantom 88, VK 87, 88, Star 89, Crossmen 90

On EDIT: how could I forget BD 86, truly the last of the old school great shows!

Boston Crusaders making their first legitimate run at finals (90)

and, of course, the rise of the Cavaliers from back of the pack to top three (setting up their first win in 92)

plus Madison winning their last title (so far?)

Hm, you make good points from competitive standpoints, though in my head at least, I was going for the 'most artistic' quality...

Hm, you make good points from competitive standpoints, though in my head at least, I was going for the 'most artistic' quality...

Percussion-wise, I'd say "most artistic" definitely applies.

I understand where you're coming from though (I loved the Miss Saigon show, and Cadets 92 and 93, and Star was at the top of their game, and it was overall some great years to say the least!).

86-90 for me ......... I look at it like this...

Today's corps has rudimental elements that weren't available before 1990. These rudimental elements were explored and developed from 84-90. I would say close to perfected most of those elements by 1993 and the rest is history.

Zingali, Brubaker, Sylvester, Prime, etc etc etc. This was the time when they were all turning the "art" of drum corps on it's ear. Not much new has come since ...... just different flavors and twists.

new sig: Pyware killed drumcorps

What do you mean by "rudimental elements"?

All of them but in very different ways.

This is where I fall.

When we look at artistic endeavors from all previous eras, we see how one artist influences another, how some styles are adapted and changed, and sometimes how some styles come along and break molds but never take hold for long periods of time. We also know that many people who were artists in their own time never really come to be seen as greats, but they still contribute to the body of work and the carriage of traditions and styles forward.

If you think about this in musical terms, for example, you can hear where Brahms reflects the work of greats like Beethoven and Bach. But when the serialists came along in the last few years of the 19th C. and the beginning of the 20th C., they totally broke the mold. Serialists and many of the more esoteric atonalists of the early 20th century did not write music that was aesthetically appealing for most members of the audience, but their work broke the mold of the tonal/theoretical rules that had been evolving and in place for more than 300 or so years. Was their work valuable? YES. But few of us would say that these works are "masterpieces" in the more colloquial sense.

To bring this back to drum corps terms: We've seen creative people breaking molds in drum corps forever. Most of us are not well-versed enough in the early periods to know who the pre-DCI era revolutionaries are and what they did, but we see the long shadows of their efforts on our own fields today. As we get into the DCI era, more and more of us know some of the names of the people who influenced artistic changes in the activity and we see even more directly the results of their efforts. But as we get closer to our own era, it is hard to know exactly what artistic benefit will come from more recent changes. Time will help decide. And in the mean time we will argue on DCP about the pros and cons of all of it. :ph34r: