G7 Thoughts/Alternatives

I don't really care what people think either way. I know some like it, and I know some hate, especially after the G7 stuff came out.

I don't go around defending DCP to the drum corps world. I recognize it's plusse and minuses, and have commented on them. Trust me, and Mike New and John D can tell you...at times there has been no more vocal critic of this place and how it's been run ( a lot less since John took over mind you) than me.

But most of your posts DO knock DCP, yet you always try to CYA by throwing in a quick little compliment to it.

so which is it...you like it or you don't? You're so quick to point out how people "laugh at DCP"...yet you're here. if it's so bad...why?

my suggestion is this...DCP is what you make of it. The less time you try to figure out what's good and bad, and the more time you make it what you want it to be for yourself, the better.

Because for every person you claim knocks it, I can claim just as many like it. it is what it is. Just like any chat forum out there, it has plusses and minuses. so make it what you want it to be, and don;t give a flying #### what others think. if you enjoy it, post here and have fun. if you think it's a waste, then stop. it's that simple...and IMO, you spending more time saying it's a waste in others eyes than you say anything else.

What did I bash Jeff. Pointing out others opinions . Is that not ok because it differes from you or goes against DCP. hmmmmmmm ..as you say very funny and predictable

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really care what people think either way. I know some like it, and I know some hate, especially after the G7 stuff came out.

I don't go around defending DCP to the drum corps world. I recognize it's plusse and minuses, and have commented on them. Trust me, and Mike New and John D can tell you...at times there has been no more vocal critic of this place and how it's been run ( a lot less since John took over mind you) than me.

But most of your posts DO knock DCP, yet you always try to CYA by throwing in a quick little compliment to it.

so which is it...you like it or you don't? You're so quick to point out how people "laugh at DCP"...yet you're here. if it's so bad...why?

my suggestion is this...DCP is what you make of it. The less time you try to figure out what's good and bad, and the more time you make it what you want it to be for yourself, the better.

Because for every person you claim knocks it, I can claim just as many like it. it is what it is. Just like any chat forum out there, it has plusses and minuses. so make it what you want it to be, and don;t give a flying #### what others think. if you enjoy it, post here and have fun. if you think it's a waste, then stop. it's that simple...and IMO, you spending more time saying it's a waste in others eyes than you say anything else.

Youre right !!!!!

Ten years ago GH claimed that Rosie O'Donnell convinced him that downplaying the military by eliminating rifles was the direction of the activity. Today his corps salutes corps vets who are military vets. Strange, isn't it?

Was it 9/11 that made the difference? I believe Hopkins' comments preceded that tragedy. Compare "Juxtaperformance" in 2001 to "An American Revival" in 2002. (Mind you, I prefer the former.)

Was it 9/11 that made the difference? I believe Hopkins' comments preceded that tragedy. Compare "Juxtaperformance" in 2001 to "An American Revival" in 2002. (Mind you, I prefer the former.)

I used the wrong word. It's not strange, it's illustrative. Just when you think you know what the future is something will come along and prove to you that you were wrong.

If the G6 takes over DCI, and then that unexpected event happens, there's no structure for the activity to go back to. They'll either have to change it again (ala rifles) or let it die (ala BLAST).

IMO, it's not worth risking the whole activity on a hunch.

All this anger and indignance over the Orwellian concept that "all D&BC are equal but some D&BC are more equal."

None of this is new, you know, and D&BC could have used some of this anger and indignance back in 1970 when the first rumblings of elitism were raised in our then-ecumenical D&BC family.

Drum corps was really on a roll then. Oh, we might have looked over our shoulders at the new Midwest Combine to see what all the fuss was about within that bunch of upstart malcontents. Still, we didn't worry about it much, although we heard that the MC considered all the rest of us non-invited bourgeoisie "crap corps". Hey, the rest of the D&BC in America were all basically happy at the time, with upwards of 500 D&BC competing every week and recruitment at an all-time high. Little did we know at the time in our happy ignorance.

Today D&BC is at its lowest ebb, and the only solutions that its leaders can think of -- beside adding woodwinds and vocals -- is to fracture the remainders of the activity once again. I'm reminded of Pete Seeger's song of being "knee-deep in the Big Muddy and the Big Fool says to push on."

Maybe soon "G-7" will also be what DCI exclaims when counting what's still left on its membership roster: "Gee! Seven??"

All this anger and indignance over the Orwellian concept that "all D&BC are equal but some D&BC are more equal."

None of this is new, you know, and D&BC could have used some of this anger and indignance back in 1970 when the first rumblings of elitism were raised in our then-ecumenical D&BC family.

Drum corps was really on a roll then. Oh, we might have looked over our shoulders at the new Midwest Combine to see what all the fuss was about within that bunch of upstart malcontents. Still, we didn't worry about it much, although we heard that the MC considered all the rest of us non-invited bourgeoisie "crap corps". Hey, the rest of the D&BC in America were all basically happy at the time, with upwards of 500 D&BC competing every week and recruitment at an all-time high. Little did we know at the time in our happy ignorance.

Today D&BC is at its lowest ebb, and the only solutions that its leaders can think of -- beside adding woodwinds and vocals -- is to fracture the remainders of the activity once again. I'm reminded of Pete Seeger's song of being "knee-deep in the Big Muddy and the Big Fool says to push on."

Maybe soon "G-7" will also be what DCI exclaims when counting what's still left on its membership roster: "Gee! Seven??"

Excellent sentence (the last).

The rest of it? Ummm...not so much. What are you trying to say??