Looks like VK wont even make finals

As of this morning the following corps (all of whom are going to Indy) have higher scores than the Velvet Knights

BDB, Legends, Oregon Crusaders, Spartans, 7th Regiment, Colt Cadets, Revolution & Raiders

That's 8 spots

Stentors had a 66 - only .5 away from the 66.50 VK had last night

Forte, Music City & Genesis have yet to compete

VK is drastically behind last years pace. On 7/12/09 they had a 71.0 to this years 66.5 on 7/17.

Things are not looking promising for the Velvet Knights. If they manage to pull it together and squeak into a finals spot the corps will still have lost momentum. Imagine if the 3 Cal. OC corps who are spanking them (SCVC, Gold & Impulse) were going to Championships? So what gives?? Is this a different staff? Did management do a poor job holding onto the nucleus of the 2009 membership? Insufficient recruiting?

Back in the Winter it was easy for the Director to talk trash and all the VK wonks came to her side......it is very very quiet out there now........

As of this morning the following corps (all of whom are going to Indy) have higher scores than the Velvet Knights

BDB, Legends, Oregon Crusaders, Spartans, 7th Regiment, Colt Cadets, Revolution & Raiders

That's 8 spots

VK is drastically behind last years pace. On 7/12/09 they had a 71.0 to this years 66.5 on 7/17.

Things are not looking promising for the Velvet Knights. If they manage to pull it together and squeak into a finals spot the corps will still have lost momentum. Imagine if the 3 Cal. OC corps who are spanking them (SCVC, Gold & Impulse) were going to Championships? So what gives?? Is this a different staff? Did management do a poor job holding onto the nucleus of the 2009 membership? Insufficient recruiting?

Back in the Winter it was easy for the Director to talk trash and all the VK wonks came to her side......it is very very quiet out there now........

You need to wait until these corps head out this week and next as they all head to Indy. Once corps start going up against each other on a steady basis, things will fall into place a little better.

As for your hate for VK, we get it. This is why people laugh about the OC corps sometimes, it's this kind of baby stuff that shows some people still are not ready to be part of the big picture. The fact that VK is on the field is plenty of proof for me that they are trying to rebuild a proud organization. It may not happen for a few more years, but they are out there and they are doing more than a lot of other corps that have come and gone in this activity.

Edited by CT-Horn

Actually, whoever this 3rd and 10 dude is, and regardless of any of his/her prior posts (which I haven't read), it seems that it's a reasonable question, and one that's asked about World Class corps who have shown promise and then fallen.

CT. It's unnecessary to defend VK. It is perfectly legit to wonder what has happened. It's a corps' job to provide kids with a positive/successful(and I don't mean just competitive) summer activity. If from the outside it looks like things are going sour, it's reasonable to ask the question, "what's going on?" I'm sure potential members to that organization would like to know - before they drop $2000 or so on their summer.

And 3rd&10... Be cool. Competition drives rivalry, but apparent glee at a corps' hard times isn't drum corps. It's not welcome in this thing we do.

Edited by acecannon

That's 8 spots

I have made this statement before, the VK show is one of the most entertaining that I have seen this year. And I have been to around 10 events. They are the first show to make me laugh with their humor, and in 2 separate spots. (the solo and the mirror). I will not comment on their scores, except to say that there is more to Drum Corp than scoring high. Go VK, I wish you the best of luck.

I have made this statement before, the VK show is one of the most entertaining that I have seen this year. And I have been to around 10 events. They are the first show to make me laugh with their humor, and in 2 separate spots. (the solo and the mirror). I will not comment on their scores, except to say that there is more to Drum Corp than scoring high. Go VK, I wish you the best of luck.

VKNOW!

They have more problems than their score.

This past weekend, their director cut the cymbal line from the field and from the corps. What is going on doesn't seem to be good and the feeling seems to be that it all falls onto one person. Things need to change there real fast, really loudly and really really soon or the latest incarnation of VK will also become a corps of the past. I hope this does not happen as I have a personal connection to VK and really want them to succeed. To those that are still marching there, you're doing great. Keep it up and have a great finish to your summer.

Why were they cut?

Wow - that is sad news.

I've seen VK twice this year and although the show is entertaining and the performers trying their best, I don't think they have any hope for finals.

Sad.

I wonder what is going on over there.