Balloons

This will probably cross into the pre-1989 historical section, but I need to know what drum corps shows featured balloons (especially big balloons). The University band that I work with wants to use balloons for part of their show, so I'm trying to figure out some logistics and creative ways of using them.

Thanks!

They were used relatively recently (2008?)and IIRC, I think it was by Glassmen (they weren't "big" balloons, however). I could be wrong about the corps and year, but it was definitely within the last 5 or 6 years and by a Finalist.

They were used relatively recently (2008?)and IIRC, I think it was by Glassmen (they weren't "big" balloons, however). I could be wrong about the corps and year, but it was definitely within the last 5 or 6 years and by a Finalist.

Yeah, glassmen '08 used small balloons

I know this is crossing into another activity, but Kings High School 2010 indoor percussion used balloons in their show. It was titled 99 Red Balloons (yes, they used the song), and it was one of the shows on the floor this year that actually had me entertained for its entirety.

1988 Blue Devils. The guard released the balloons.

My WVU Marching Band (400 piece) releases balloons before the pre-game show starts while on the field. Search for that on Youtube, maybe you will find some ideas. The crowd loves it btw.

Sr/All Age side but:

CT Hurricanes 1975-76 (think both years): Corps had two packing crates at the back sideline with a guy at each box. End of the show ("Star and Stripes" IIRC) the tops of the crates were opened and the balloons came out. Interesting BITD tidbit, the guys had to mark time when the rest of the corps marched and stand still during the times the corps didn't move (concert number). Funny watching the M&M judge looking back at them once in a while.

Toronto Jolly Jesters (early 60s): Each corps member held a balloon on a string and let go as they started the show (or so I've read).

Whatever you do, make sure you get the latest "green" balloons that aren't harmful to the environment.

If I recall correctly (and I could only know this from the DVD, never having seen the show live), in the Sky Ryders Wizard of Oz show of 1985, a balloon was mocked up as a miniature version of the movie's concluding hot air balloon. Clever if rather cheap looking.

1988 Blue Devils. The guard released the balloons.

My WVU Marching Band (400 piece) releases balloons before the pre-game show starts while on the field. Search for that on Youtube, maybe you will find some ideas. The crowd loves it btw.

I was in the WVU band in 2004 and 2005. When did they start doing that??

Whatever you do, make sure you get the latest "green" balloons that aren't harmful to the environment.

Good call. Do they have a specific name?