Federal Judge says Cheerleading Not a Sport

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, drum corps aren't associated with universities and they aren't offering any scholarships to members so Title IX has nothing to do with them and this thread is completely unnecessary.

Spoil Sport!! :laughing:

Drum corps isn't a sport

Well, it requires incredible athleticism, it is team based, and the team with the highest score wins. Sounds like a sport to me.

Well, it requires incredible athleticism, it is team based, and the team with the highest score wins. Sounds like a sport to me.

Like a time-based scavenger hunt, you mean?

Someone once described a sport to me as "any athletic activity where one team can affect the score of the opposing team." I really like that definition. So no, drum corps is not a sport; it's an athletic activity, just like figure skating and some track & field events.

So track and field and figure skating are not sports either then ?????

-not sure if I agree with those examples..... would golf or bowling not be sports then either ???????????

I thought cheerleading (in high school) was about popularity and being cute.......

PLEASE do NOT put cheerleading and Drum Corps together in a topic......

Drum Corps is by far MUCH MORE superior to cheerleading !!!!

I would have to say anything with an OBJECTIVE winner. Sure referees, umpires, officials etc... influence a game but not quite to the degree of drum corps (gymnastics, diving or figure skating for that matter). I don't think athleticism has anything to do with the requirement of a sport. I would say chess, bowing, baseball, golf are better candidates for sports.

I would have to say anything with an OBJECTIVE winner. Sure referees, umpires, officials etc... influence a game but not quite to the degree of drum corps (gymnastics, diving or figure skating for that matter). I don't think athleticism has anything to do with the requirement of a sport. I would say chess, bowing, baseball, golf are better candidates for sports.

I think you used another word that might be more appropriate for that.... anything with an objective winner could be called a 'game'.