Now that more people have seen them head to head

100 members have voted

1. 1. Who is solid for 13th and will challenge G-Men

• Troopers
    • Academy
    • Some other corps laying in the weeds.
    • G-Men are the 12th place corps this year.

There was discussion about Academy not being for real, but all comments coming from last night's broadcast generally point toward this show being a monster and can really score high if "tamed." Troopers offering this season looks much cleaner right now and has a great visual opening.

I think Academy gets cleaner and the entire package gets them to 13th and really closes the gap if not oevertakes Glassmen by the time the dust settles in Allentown.

What are your thoughts this morning after viewing the first head to head among the three?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glassmen will be 12th. IMO

I dont know if Academy can do it, but they have the vehicle to do it. I'm totally perplexed as to how they didn't beat the Troopers with room last night

I loves me some Troopers, but I'd have to say Academy for now, unless Troopers can spice things up. Both and Gmen are right there.

I dont know if Academy can do it, but they have the vehicle to do it. I'm totally perplexed as to how they didn't beat the Troopers with room last night

According to the folks who get the free DCI polo shirts, two areas are killing them right now. Brass performance and Ensemble Performance had them in 8th place in both categories, this would be behind Pac Crest. They have to get more out of the Ens. Performance from all areas, but I have thought all season long that the brass had a young sound and had tons of intonation issues in the mellos. It was very evident to me in the octet about midway through the show...the lead mello player was about a quarter of a pitch off. It made my ears scream....listen and tune.

I go back to younger players have a difficult time learning to pitch each note. This is just something a player must master and takes hours and hours of practice with a tuner...the old Yamaha tuner with the lighted dial was what I used in high school and college...thank you Mr. Ellis for letting me borrow it in the summer! Those things were very expensive back in the day. Now a decent digital tuner can be had for about $100 and EVERY brass player should have one. Period. The only way to be in tune is to practice being in tune.

So, the horns and ensemble performance are holding them back from being further ahead of Troopers according to the judges. Clearly, the G-Men got a big nod from the judges in almost every category outside of GE. So, we'll see what the next two weeks bring. A reminder...Academy does not generally practice in heavy air. Humid for Phoenix is about 35%...not the 90% of the southeast this time of year. It's the old "not the heat it's the humidity" argument. We'll see how it pans out in and out of Atlanta.

There's an assumption with this post that the Glassmen will not get better. Year in, year out, they are underestimated. They are always given up for dead and they always manage to come in just under the wire. I like Academys show a lot, but I just can't help but think that they will lose a little steam as they travel more. They've had a pretty easy schedule thus far and as they get east it will slow their progress.

I'm impressed with the progress Troop has made and see them getting even better. I'll jump out and say Academy 14, Troop 13, and Gmen 12th.