What happened to the scores?

I still have my yearly complaint ...................

If 2 or 3 or 4 corps deserve the same score according to the sheets .. then give them the same score.

Whether it be an 8.0, 9.0 or a 9.9 ... I don't care. IF they're all deserving, then that's what their score should be.

Rank and Rate has always been and will always be a thorn in my side.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or is it a G7 effect ??????

It looks like most all corps dropped in scores. Just the top six stayed up. Even a couple dropped. from 6 to 23 everyone dropped except for a couple. What happened? Mass penalties?

Corps that are put into a larger mix of Corps, ( as happened this weekend ) with a wider degree of performing talent, routinely will see shifts in their scores. This is not unusual at all. It has happened for decades. Just go back and look at the scores from the last few years to see dozens and dozens of illustrations of this.. For example, a Corps might come in 5th out of 7 Corps in a show and score a 78. Then they compete 2 days later, with ( say ) 12 Corps, do a BETTER performance and yet their score drops by a couple of points. What happened, some fans want to know ? Well what happened was their performance( and thus,their score ) was being compared to a new mix of Corps.... more, and better Corps... than it was 2 days earlier when they got the score of 78. This is why comparing scores from around the country is fun and all, but essentially meaningless.

Edited by BRASSO

OK Brasso you go with that. But I am calling foul. I maybe wrong. I have been watching and in corps for over 30 years. Again I could be wrong. But I think there was a big error made. If they score close?/???? Then let them. That is how it should be.

Edited by Jimisback

geluf actually talked quite a bit about this in the "West Coast Inflation" thread.

Less corps in the same score range competiting against one another leads to more normalization of scores happening when more corps of all score ranges go head to head.

Then why has Spirit not moved up even after such improvements over such a long period of time??? No west coast involved. If all improved on the low scorers on the east coast, then all should have improved.

Edited by Jimisback

OK Brasso you go with that. But I am calling foul. I maybe wrong. I have been watching and in corps for over 30 years. Again I could be wrong. But I think there was a big error made. If they score close?/???? Then let them. That is how it should be.

Huh ? No comprende.

Edited by BRASSO

Huh ? No comprende.

What I am saying is why adjust scores? That is what seems to have happened. Are the judges going by different rules from coast to coast? Just explain to me why this happened. But make it sound convincing.

Don't feel bad; I've been trying to comprende Jimmy for 30 years.

[j/k -- love ya Jimmy!]

Must be Mike, Love ye too Bro. KSA Spirit.