The White Pants vs The Black Pants age old question

Frankly, I can’t imagine SCV ’87 marching that show in anything other than white pants.

That show was tremendous in white, but red and green works well for Christmas, yes?

Black pants all the way for me.

I really don't know if it's the black, or the green, or what, but just watch Cavaliers 2003/2004....my god, looks so good.

Black hides dirt in the feet the same way that black hides fat on the hips. It won't cover either up completely but it gives the appearance of being better than it really is.

• Like 1

Nice to see others chime in on this as this has aggrivated me in recent years. Agree with pretty much everything posted thusfar. I think black pants are a cop-out and when you see a corps change its design to go to black its obvious to me why they are doing it.

You fail to realize that certain corps may like to maintain certain corps colors and traditions and perhaps that is WHY they are not white and NOT a cop-out.

Since everything old is eventually new again, maybe we can hope there will be a return to white for some of the corps with the guts to do it.

I'm not sure how you can add a value argument here. How does guts enter into this. I don't get it. For myself...I marched with black pants with a red stripe down the side..WHITE shoes with black trim on the heel and welt. Talk about exposure for your feet. It doesn't get much more exposed than that I'm afraid.

It's not a cop out in any sense of the word.

White pants= emphasis on feet.

Black pants= emphasis on form.

This translates to a COMPLETELY different style of drill design. Cavies/BD are able to pull off their kaleidoscopic and curvilinear drill so easily because all you see is their plume/upper body. If Crown or Cadets tried the same, the form is lost because seeing the feet moving muddies up the form. White pants look most impressive in pinwheels and block forms, while black pants can pull off all sorts of micro details (something like the diamond cutter would be a complete wash with PR or Crown's current unis, even if done cleanly.)

You fail to realize that certain corps may like to maintain certain corps colors and traditions and perhaps that is WHY they are not white and NOT a cop-out.

I'm not sure how you can add a value argument here. How does guts enter into this. I don't get it. For myself...I marched with black pants with a red stripe down the side..WHITE shoes with black trim on the heel and welt. Talk about exposure for your feet. It doesn't get much more exposed than that I'm afraid.

That's why I explained what I meant. I said when they CHANGE from white to black, not when that's BEEN their colors all along.

Guts means NOT AFRAID to take longer to clean for the reward of it looking WAY BETTER in the long run.

We had black pants with white shoes and a stripe on the leg as well. If you're doing that then I agree with you that's gutsy. I would love to see some of the corps with black pants who don't have one add a stripe.

This is more of a question for myself.

How many World Class Corps have a stripe going down their pants leg? I know the Cadets of course, but any others?

This is more of a question for myself.

How many World Class Corps have a stripe going down their pants leg? I know the Cadets of course, but any others?

Blue Devils have the one stripe down the left leg. Other than that I don't know too many other corps marching with the stripe. I think it looks best with the Cadets because they teach straight leg technique and actually pull it off. It's the straightness of the stripe during marching that's appealing. If a corps has a bent knee technique and a stripe, I don't think people would think it's as aesthetically pleasing