Screamers

If you want to hear some awesome screamers, listen in to DCA-Joey Pero (surprised nobody's mentioned him yet from his BD days, although I don't remember which years he was with them) and some of those from years past-Frank Ponzo, Ritchie Price, and of course "Screech" Arietano.

Was thinking of Ritchie in 1974 Buccs and the late 70s Rhode Island Matadors crew. IMO, not a lot of screaming going on, just in the right places to add to the effect. 1977 and 1978 Matadors can be found on "that" site that rhymes with "Boo Rube". :blink:

Think Screech was the one closing out Suns concert of "God Bless the Child" by lipping up to "only dogs can hear" range. Helluva effect for late 70s.

DCA last few years, can think of Joey with Empire, Renegades and Music City Legend (don't know names).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone looking for awesome, CONSTANT (haha) trumpet screaming is bound to love Madison 88.

You're kidding right? I certainly hope so. Madison's lead soprano line in 1988 was not even close to one of the best examples of their lead lines. I could come up with 6-7 years of better examples of Madison's lead sop lines.

Very Close. I would say from E above high C is where I consider the start of DOUBLE, because it's a bare nekkid note that is very squirrely on most horns .. on old G bugles it was a false note on almost every model built.

the fundamental pitch on any horn is low C, one step up is low D, then low E and so on.

one octave up is middle C, then middle D, etc

2 octaves above the fundamental is high C, next note is high D, and so on.

3 octaves above the fundamental is double C, next note is double D...

One of my favs .......... 84 Avante Garde. When I first heard that recording ...... was when I realized I needed to push my playing to the next level. Great soloist and screamer work in that show, and some incredible brass arranging going on there!!!

One of my favs .......... 84 Avante Garde. When I first heard that recording ...... was when I realized I needed to push my playing to the next level. Great soloist and screamer work in that show, and some incredible brass arranging going on there!!!

Absolutely agree! The arranging for this corps was great. Tony Gambaro was the sop soloist. Still playing strong to this day!

the fundamental pitch on any horn is low C, one step up is low D, then low E and so on.

one octave up is middle C, then middle D, etc

2 octaves above the fundamental is high C, next note is high D, and so on.

3 octaves above the fundamental is double C, next note is double D...

Who cares, Just do it. Most people didn't know they couldn't play the notes they did. Because they weren't told that they couldn't. So they did it. But now, it has to sound concert. Boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lip trill? Just shake the horn a little , helps alot. Then people learn from there. Sometimes people listen to teachers too much. And it holds back on being exceptional.

Was thinking of Ritchie in 1974 Buccs and the late 70s Rhode Island Matadors crew. IMO, not a lot of screaming going on, just in the right places to add to the effect. 1977 and 1978 Matadors can be found on "that" site that rhymes with "Boo Rube". :blink:

Think Screech was the one closing out Suns concert of "God Bless the Child" by lipping up to "only dogs can hear" range. Helluva effect for late 70s.

DCA last few years, can think of Joey with Empire, Renegades and Music City Legend (don't know names).

IIRC, I believe about 5 yrs or so ago, Joey, Ritchie AND Screech were soloists for Empire at championships (I'm positive that at least Ritchie & Joey were soloists). Screech was also a soloist for Sky during their last couple years as a competing Open corps. If you've never heard Ritchie's version of "Star Spangled Banner", you can't truly appreciate "only dogs can hear".

IIRC, I believe about 5 yrs or so ago, Joey, Ritchie AND Screech were soloists for Empire at championships (I'm positive that at least Ritchie & Joey were soloists).

My first year at Finals since :blink: was the last year at Scranton. Didn't realize it was Ritchie until I overheard someone mention his name. :bigsmile: Think my wife was more impressed that he marched when I did. :bigsmile: He's on my list of "corps people I want to meet" but some others in my corps know him from the RI and York, PA days.

Who cares, Just do it. Most people didn't know they couldn't play the notes they did. Because they weren't told that they couldn't. So they did it. But now, it has to sound concert. Boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lip trill? Just shake the horn a little , helps alot. Then people learn from there. Sometimes people listen to teachers too much. And it holds back on being exceptional.

I was just responding to some other posts that were concerned with terminology. Personally, I don't need to know the names of notes I'll never be playing :)

I think if you focus on producing a good sound, you'll have all the range you need.

But if you focus too much on range, you'll probably never have a good sound, and, ironically, you might psych yourself out of having good range as well.

noticing a trend....

is it easier to scream on a G bugle, or do they just not write and scream parts for Bb trumpet anymore?