Gadsden, AL

I heard that the Cavaliers were putting in their new ending tonight, if that indeed was the case im sure that impacted the scores, especially from a guard standpoint. I know they had been working on the ending last week but had decided to wait for this very reason. Its all part of the process, two steps forward one step back. Its all about the big picture and the second weekend in August, not one contest.

I agree. Nobody will remember the scores in July in Gadsden, Alabama. But they'll remember the scores and placements at Finals.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it though. I think Crossmen's percussion has the best chance at breaking that sweep. The horn line is a bit behind right now, and their issues will bring down the ensemble score. GE music... I'd say the horn line is dragging ### again there for bones.

Overall (not seeing the show tonight, I'm judging from my couch and FN hehe, shame on me) I'd say bones has way more room to improve. Show design is iffy for both corps. Sprit could really afford to clean up their feet... Crossmen can clean up the pictures, Spirit has MUCH LESS to clean and improve on, especially musically.

I'm speaking mainly from a performance standpoint. Designs... I would put Crossmen over top of Spirit (I know MANY disagree, I'm looking past the performance issues that are really messing with a lot of peoples perspective of Crossmen's design... understandably). NOW I'm not saying Crossmen has a far superior design... I'd be stupid... they both have their issues. Crossmen's show is cleanable.. if they don't clean it.. Spirit will beat them. Spirit has an easier but much cleaner show.

Regardless I see the two corps being pretty close to each other for the rest of the season. Finals??? It's a STRETCH. I'd have to do some more armchair judging, hehehe. I'll try to make it to a few shows out east here.

AGREED>

I agree. Nobody will remember the scores in July in Gadsden, Alabama. But they'll remember the scores and placements at Finals.

100% with that

Look at Spirit vs. Crossmen on the recap. Clean sweep for Spirit in all music captions, clean sweep for Crossmen in all visual...... even the effect captions..... even every sub-caption. Pretty rare for two corps separated by only 0.4 in total score.

Looks like this was the show that The CROSSMEN PASS SPIRIT. but they had some ensemble issue's.

Visual Numbers will beat music numbers indoors.

I have a review up if anyone is interested. Good show tonight. The Coats -Cavies-Crown battle is going to come down to finals.

We will see if the winner there can challenge BD in the process..

Just pulling in from the show. Some impressions, for whatever they are worth.

1. Crowd was pretty flat tonight.

2. Boston has exciting brass moments, but the guard had a tough night. Which happens.

3. Really like the BK show, but it was pretty dirty.

4. The GE score BS vs. BAC may have had a great deal to do with the fact that a couple of the guard misses came at very crucial points in the drill.

5. Jeez. It was so hot today. But pretty nice once the show starts.

6. I don't get SCV's show. I love the Vanguard. Phantom of the Opera is in my top 3 DCI shows ever. I thought, although it was not as clean as some that SCV had the most musical and crowd pleasing show last year. I teared up last year in Gadsden. But boy, it was clean but controlled, controlled, non-emotional, and I'm not sure what it's trying to be. Cute? I don't know.

7. People in the stands (and me) loved them some Blue Coats.

8. Pio made some nice music.

9. Spirit has a better show than last year.

10. I like the X-Men's show, but they don't benefit from being spread out 10 to 10. Lots of phasing issues.

Not surprised at the score, but don't be surprised if BAC scores 1.5 points higher tomorrow night.

I have a review up if anyone is interested. Good show tonight. The Coats -Cavies-Crown battle is going to come down to finals.

We will see if the winner there can challenge BD in the process..

Not really a review when you miss the first 4 corps.

Someone is going to have to explain to me how in the course of 3 days, the Cavaliers' Color Guard score goes down by a whole point. Did half of them stay on the bus? I understand bad nights and how scores can flux, but seriously, that much difference in a single caption. Anyone at the show witness an epic destruction of the guard program that could possibly explain this?

Well it could be that the judge gave SCV their score at 9.2 & 8.8 for 18.0 leaving room for the next two corps, then Bluecoats went on and the judge saw they were better than SCV and scored them 9.4 & 9.2 for and 18.6. this still left room between SCV and Bluecoats as well as above Bluecoats. However, I'm guessing when the Cavies went on the judge didn't feel they were quite on par with SCV's performance so he then had no choice but to score them lower than the numbers he gave SCV so they got a 9.1 & 8.7 for 17.8.

So it's not about Cavaliers doing significantly worse than their previous performance in Color Guard and more about numbers management by the judge. Since he probably assumed Cavaliers would be better than SCV in color Guard he left room by scoring SCV low enough to be able to reasonably put Cavliers ahead of them. But he didn't see that and had to give Cavaliers a score under SCV, and since both numbers were just .1 below the SCV numbers it really makes me think this is more the case.

It's all about the spreads, and Rating/Ranking between corps. Actual score from show to show is really irrelevant.

with that said, it is great to see Bluecoats winning shows in late July that have Cavaliers, SCV, Phantom, and Cadets in them.

Way to Go Blue, you are making all of your alumni very proud.