One show from each decade that molded the direction of DCI

Zingali was doing it with Quasar before he brought it to 27. He wasn't copying Emmons by any means.

I saw you were replying, and I wondered what your opinion would be. I was thinking along those same lines, that the 1980 27th Lancers were more innovative than SCV, which featured a Zingali drill all the way.

Not that my dumb opinion matters, but:

1976 Blue Devils - their style of REPEATING their best tune year after year was copied by all of that era.

1983 and 1984 -Garfield Cadets - I had to include both, because it was the FIRST TIME EVER a championship corps had thrown out their ENTIRE repertoire from the year before and did an all-new show, and the all-new show won. EVERY CORPS to this day follows that "all new show every year" style.

1990's: Star of Indiana - their style and the concept of TAKING CHANCES is still seen in every winning corps today.

2000's - Cavaliers 2002. For the first time ever DRILL replaced music as the key to winning a championship

Edited by wvu80

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the quintessential shows of the 70s, you have to back much earlier to 1971-73 SCV. Those shows raised the bar in terms of both visual and musical sophistication more than any other corps in the 70s. Other corps were exploring new directions in 71, but SCV's vision is the one that resonated with the judges and the audience.

In the 80s, it was Garfield '82 that raised the bar in terms of visual design. It set the stage for all of their championship shows.

71-73 SCV and 82 Garfield were more innovative in their respective time periods than anything I saw in the 90s.

The most innovative shows of the 2000s, for my money, were Spin Cycle and Machine. But so far, nobody has attempted to imitate them, so I don't think you can say they changed the direction of the activity.

For the quintessential shows of the 70s, you have to back much earlier to 1971-73 SCV. Those shows raised the bar in terms of both visual and musical sophistication more than any other corps in the 70s. Other corps were exploring new directions in 71, but SCV's vision is the one that resonated with the judges and the audience.

In the 80s, it was Garfield '82 that raised the bar in terms of visual design. It set the stage for all of their championship shows.

71-73 SCV and 82 Garfield were more innovative in their respective time periods than anything I saw in the 90s.

The most innovative shows of the 2000s, for my money, were Spin Cycle and Machine. But so far, nobody has attempted to imitate them, so I don't think you can say they changed the direction of the activity.

You need to ask yourself. Did the activity change in 1983 after 1982 Garfield Cadets ?? The answer is no. Did the activity change after the Garfield Cadetds in 83 ?? The answer is absolutley.

G

I saw you were replying, and I wondered what your opinion would be. I was thinking along those same lines, that the 1980 27th Lancers were more innovative than SCV, which featured a Zingali drill all the way.

27 didn't have any asymmetry in their '80 show.

There was a fair amount of rotating the 50 off it's axis and mirroring on either side of that.

Where Zingali out did SCV was with the sheer amount of movement and the velocity at which the show was performed.

As well, 27 was using the marching technique and style that Zingali would bring to and "perfect" with Garfield.

Edited by dckid80

You need to ask yourself. Did the activity change in 1983 after 1982 Garfield Cadets ?? The answer is no. Did the activity change after the Garfield Cadetds in 83 ?? The answer is absolutley.

G

that's only because 82 was so far ahead, it took 2 years for everyone to catch up :)

Seriously, 82 was the "statement" year for the Cadets. It had all the elements of their later shows and was a clear departure from anything in 81. To me, it was a better show than 83. Remember their finals performance and how they surged from 5th to 3rd? One of the most electrifying performances I've ever seen. They might have been the best corps on the field that night. BD was unbeaten that year, but if Garfield had been a bit cleaner they could have challenged.

you also have to consider that Cavaliers, from 83 onward, were a major innovator in the 80s due to Brubaker. And that would have happened with or without Garfield.

that's only because 82 was so far ahead, it took 2 years for everyone to catch up :)

Seriously, 82 was the "statement" year for the Cadets. It had all the elements of their later shows and was a clear departure from anything in 81. To me, it was a better show than 83. Remember their finals performance and how they surged from 5th to 3rd? One of the most electrifying performances I've ever seen. They might have been the best corps on the field that night. BD was unbeaten that year, but if Garfield had been a bit cleaner they could have challenged.

you also have to consider that Cavaliers, from 83 onward, were a major innovator in the 80s due to Brubaker. And that would have happened with or without Garfield.

Agree 100% in regards to Cavaliers...I think the 85 Cavaliers are the underdogs of the influential game....regarding Garfield ? Not so much : )

Loved 1982, still remember that like it was yesterday and I did enjoy it more than 83, it was actually cleaner than 83....but by finals night, SCV and Blue Devils were untouchable.

G

Im sorry, but this is not even on par of what Garfield did in regard to influencing the activity. All one has to do is simple, see what happened to the activity in 1981, and then 1984.....its night and day and Garfield deserves their credit. 1980 SCV was a radical show with much inovation and new ideas on the field, but it didnt mandate the rest of the activity to follow it in 1981. Its not even close.

G

I'm with you, G. This is one thing I noticed on the videos from '83 to '84. The drill for everyone CHANGED and it was noticeable. The velocity increased as well. That was the year in the '80s that changed everything. :blink:

Not that my dumb opinion matters, but:

1976 Blue Devils - their style of REPEATING their best tune year after year was copied by all of that era.

1983 and 1984 -Garfield Cadets - I had to include both, because it was the FIRST TIME EVER a championship corps had thrown out their ENTIRE repertoire from the year before and did an all-new show, and the all-new show won. EVERY CORPS to this day follows that "all new show every year" style.

1990's: Star of Indiana - their style and the concept of TAKING CHANCES is still seen in every winning corps today.

2000's - Cavaliers 2002. For the first time ever DRILL replaced music as the key to winning a championship

I almost called you out ( in a nice way ) on that one until I reread that you said '83 and '84. I was thinking '82 to '83 when they did repeat Rocky Point Holiday. Ooops my bad!

However, SCV had been known to play the same piece from one year to another all the way to '89 and The Cadets did go on a Bernstein/Copland/Holsinger kicks...

SCV

'83, '84 On the Town

'85, '86 Festive Overture

'86, '87 Pictures at an Exhibition

'88, '89 Phantom of the Opera

Cadets

'83, '84, '85, '86 '94 '2009 Bernstein

'87 - '88 Copland

'92 - '93 Holsinger

'90 Bernstein

Blue Devil

'84, '85 - Karn Evil 9

'86. '87 Spanish Fantasy/Dreams

The repetition has improved, but it didn't change during those years.

'80 SCV was the first corps to perform an entire show without regard to Side 1 or Side 2. If you don't think that's revolutionary, I don't know what is.

Due respect, because I love that show, but a lot of that drill, beautiful as it is, is pure symmetry. OPener coming out of the corner to the end, virtually all of the drum solo, and most of 'I Vow to Thee My Country' is symmetrical. Doesn't diminish the Evita build to the concert curve set, and the moving planets, and I get the Side 1/Side 2 reference, but it is a drill with a lot of symmetry.

27 didn't have any asymmetry in their '80 show.

There was a fair amount of rotating the 50 off it's axis and mirroring on either side of that.

Where Zingali out did SCV was with the sheer amount of movement and the velocity at which the show was performed.

Don't make me look this up! :smile:

I remember just off the opener the drum line marched on the oblique from the left 30 towards the 50, while two lines rotated from a center axis to allow them through. I won't argue with my betters on that point, but that's what I remember which I call "asymmetrical."

As well, 27 was using the marching technique and style that Zingali would bring to and "perfect" with Garfield.

Absolutely!

Young people, take note.

Edited by wvu80