One show from each decade that molded the direction of DCI

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

76 Bridgemen more than 76 Devils. Devils were the apotheosis of the California style of the 70s, but Bayonne came out that year with an attitude and approach that redirected drum corps away from the military-style and toward dance/movement/theme direction that it's been headed since. From that standpoint, they had a greater impact on the whole direction of drum corps than did the excellent BD corps that year.

Edited by mobrien

How so? (That's a genuine question, not a slight! I love that show, but know nothing about arrangements.)

The disecting of full melodies along with the intentional added agression to arrangements......other corps have followed and its the BD mainstay now. THe way the percussion/brass alternate finishing the phrasing and then echoing the same musical sentiment....

G

I stand corrected, then! :tongue:

nah...not corrected, its a very credible choice. Just a tad more "enlightened"

G

heck...one can even make a strong case for 1985 Cavaliers, they were already starting to revolutionize the visual advances Garfield were doing. before Garfield was even finished...if that makes any sense.

Edited by GMichael1230

Gotta disagree with 80 SCV. If I had to choose "one show" that had the most influence, it has to be 83 Garfield. After 80 SCV, there were more corps than not still hugging the 50 yardline. Not until 83 Garfield took what they started in 82 and maxed it out, did the activity follow suit. All one has to do is watch 84 prelims, high camera and 85 prelims..if you werent there to see the Zingali/Garfield influence first hand.

Yes, SCV 80 was revolutionary, or visionary, so to speak, but did not influence the rest of the activity nearly as much as the Garfield Cadets of 1983G

'83 really took the next step up from '82 but I think it was '84 where they really maxed things out and set the standard for how most corps have programed their shows since. In '84 they established an overall theme for their "production" and the concept that audio and visual were equal and should be intertwined throughout the entire show.

'83 really took the next step up from '82 but I think it was '84 where they really maxed things out and set the standard for how most corps have programed their shows since. In '84 they established an overall theme for their "production" and the concept that audio and visual were equal and should be intertwined throughout the entire show.

Yes,I can see that

G

couldnt we put Phantom '08 in this discussion? The character driven/story arch model has not yet seen its end.

couldnt we put Phantom '08 in this discussion? The character driven/story arch model has not yet seen its end.

But was used and expanded on way before 08 Phantom Regiment. Even they used that style in 06 with their "faust" show......Cadets had a character in 91, Suncoast Sound had one in 88....etc, etc.....

G

Edited by GMichael1230