One show from each decade that molded the direction of DCI

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep....Zingali was already doing it up in Revere.

G

I think you confirmed his answer. Would Zingali do it if Emmons didn't do it first. He might have done it later But SCV did it first. The only reason it didn't catch on was a 7th place finish by a perenial top 3 corps.......Just saying

Gotta disagree with 80 SCV. If I had to choose "one show" that had the most influence, it has to be 83 Garfield. After 80 SCV, there were more corps than not still hugging the 50 yardline. Not until 83 Garfield took what they started in 82 and maxed it out, did the activity follow suit. All one has to do is watch 84 prelims, high camera and 85 prelims..if you werent there to see the Zingali/Garfield influence first hand.

Yes, SCV 80 was revolutionary, or visionary, so to speak, but did not influence the rest of the activity nearly as much as the Garfield Cadets of 1983

G

I haven't read the rest of the thread so this may have already been said.... but I'm willing to bet that Garfield would have marched symmetrical drill in '83 if it hadn't been for SCV in '80.

Did Garfield take it to the next level, setting the standard for years to come? Yes.

Did they change the activity in the same way that SCV did... or even to the same degree? No.

This is all speculation, of course.

1979 Blue Devils - Wide open flowing drill, and amazingly controlled brass

1982 Garfield Cadets - This is when the evolution of drill started occurring. Touring with them in 1979, they told us they were on the 3 year plan to win (and we laughed). 1981 was still a more straight-forward approach. 1982 is when they TOTALLY changed the face of drill-writing in my opinion ... not 1983

1993 Star of Indiana - WAY ahead of their time as far as the decade of the 90's is concerned

2000 Cavaliers - When they changed their own style as far as show design is concerned, this began a decade where it seemed like they were the corps to beat ..... at least in the early to mid 00's

Great thread! Lots of interesting reads .....

Edited by bdlykdad

My picks....starting with the 80s:

Garfield Cadets 1984

Star of Indiana 1993

The Cadets 2005

Blue Devils 2010

I haven't read the rest of the thread so this may have already been said.... but I'm willing to bet that Garfield would have marched symmetrical drill in '83 if it hadn't been for SCV in '80.

Did Garfield take it to the next level, setting the standard for years to come? Yes.

Did they change the activity in the same way that SCV did... or even to the same degree? No.

This is all speculation, of course.

Again, question was what one corps from each decade changed the activity......While SCV did present a non-symetrical dril in 80, you didnt see the activity change after it. After Garfield had success in 82/83 the entire activity, down to the class"A" level altered their design approach. The corps with the most influence, not the "pioneer" would be Garfield 83...or 82 - 84. Lancers 79/80 had the beginnings of said design, Zinglai was also doing it when Pete was doing it too...

The case can be made for both, its not really a black and white answer, I go based on the question.

G

Edited by GMichael1230

The first corps that came to mind for the 1970s was 1976 Blue Devils.

Then I thought about it some more.... and figured the 1973 SC Vanguard might also top that 1970s list. "Young Person's Guide" alone was a groundbreaker. (It, as Gail Royer once said, was inspired by an earlier groundbreaker, the "Requiem for an Era" production first done in 1969 by DCA's Yankee Rebels.)

The disecting of full melodies along with the intentional added agression to arrangements......other corps have followed and its the BD mainstay now. THe way the percussion/brass alternate finishing the phrasing and then echoing the same musical sentiment....

G

Agreed. The hornlines incredible intonation and tone quality in that show was simply haunting and revolutionary for the activity.

Just my personal taste, but I believe Cadets '93 was more revolutionary as far as arranging goes. The 'play' between brass and percussion is amazing. There are percussion features galore but you don't notice because they weave in and out of what the brass is doing.

The disecting of full melodies along with the intentional added agression to arrangements......other corps have followed and its the BD mainstay now. THe way the percussion/brass alternate finishing the phrasing and then echoing the same musical sentiment....

G