Retreat opening

Retreat opening  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like retreat's opening last year?

• Yes
    • I'm indifferent
    • No
    • No. I was on the field and it was embarassing.
    • Hell No. M*ley C*rus and smoke machines can suck it.
    • There was a retreat last year?
  2. 2. How would you like the opening to retreat?

• The same
    • No smoke machines
    • No dumb J*stin B*eber music
    • 2 & 3
    • 4 + clips from classic drum corps
    • No music, video, or smoke machines
  3. 3. Rate last year's retreat from 1-5

• 1 (Even Helen Keller thought it sucked)
    • 2 (My eyes and ears are still bleeding)
    • 3 (I could do without either smoke or music)
    • 4 (I didn't care)
    • 5 (I loved it)

I do agree that it takes a huge chance that members will have fun but remember to behave and YES it can get out of control..JMO though I just didnt care for those stuffy retreats. I did my performance for the people, how much more do they have to have....I guess it's a subjective choice just like all of this activity . JMO

My point is that it was not fun for the members, or at least the ones I talked to.

I've just always felt that as long as you are in uniform in front of a crowd, you are on, whether you're performing your actual show or not. That's what being a performer is about. Now I agree that retreat at every single show was too much, but some events like finals and the large shows need some degree of dignity and decorum to round out the festivities. What they don't need is Miley.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point is that it was not fun for the members, or at least the ones I talked to.

I've just always felt that as long as you are in uniform in front of a crowd, you are on, whether you're performing your actual show or not. That's what being a performer is about. Now I agree that retreat at every single show was too much, but some events like finals and the large shows need some degree of dignity and decorum to round out the festivities. What they don't need is Miley.

MIley I agree with ya..lol...as far as the BIG show , all the more reason to party..its the end of the year, its all about them at that point. But I understand where you are coming from I just don't agree but thats cool.

Even the closing cermonies at the Olympics is a big party and all about the athletics ( not so serious ). Again JMO no biggie.

Can I put in my input as a member that was ON that field last year?

I understand the longtime fans disdain for the change, it even caught me off guard. BUT, I loved it. The kids I was talking to in the tunnel loved the vibe, thought the sights and sounds were awesome. We felt like TRUE rockstars, grand arena style. I have many sights and sounds that I won't soon forget,

but the feeling I got when I saw the screaming fans and those sights just floored me.

I personally found it a nice close to season AS A MARCHER. (and it lightened the mood for us)

I understand the longtime fans disdain for the change, it even caught me off guard. BUT, I loved it. The kids I was talking to in the tunnel loved the vibe, thought the sights and sounds were awesome. We felt like TRUE rockstars, grand arena style. I have many sights and sounds that I won't soon forget,

but the feeling I got when I saw the screaming fans and those sights just floored me.

I personally found it a nice close to season AS A MARCHER. (and it lightened the mood for us)

[/quote

The point Just in my opinion i was making. Not sure where you marched. doesnt really matter BUT you should feel like a rock star , especially at that point in time of the year. It's a reward you will never forget. It's great to hear all that for your show BUT at that point in my eyes its all for just you and for a great job no matter what your show was or what your staff did for you. ALL ABOUT YOU and our thanks. again JMO

Congrats and thanks

The point Just in my opinion i was making. Not sure where you marched. doesnt really matter BUT you should feel like a rock star , especially at that point in time of the year. It's a reward you will never forget. It's great to hear all that for your show BUT at that point in my eyes its all for just you and for a great job no matter what your show was or what your staff did for you. ALL ABOUT YOU and our thanks. again JMO

Congrats and thanks

I think last year was an experiment. Some people liked it - or at least a few aspects of it - and many people did not.

I trust that it will be different this year. We'll see this weekend - there is a full retreat scheduled for the Atlanta show.

Couldn't they replace the music and video with clips of the big hits from each corps? Remind the audience why these corps were in finals in the first place, and for once let the corps actually see a portion of their performance on the jumbo tron.

i have seen clips of retreat last year, and saw WGI retreat.

I gotta be honest, in many cases, it looked like members were making fun of it

i have seen clips of retreat last year, and saw WGI retreat.

I gotta be honest, in many cases, it looked like members were making fun of it

I can only speak for guards at WGI and I can tell you its the opposite. They love i t. So many of the younger guards would love what the World Class finals has.