Retreat opening

Retreat opening  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like retreat's opening last year?

• Yes
    • I'm indifferent
    • No
    • No. I was on the field and it was embarassing.
    • Hell No. M*ley C*rus and smoke machines can suck it.
    • There was a retreat last year?
  2. 2. How would you like the opening to retreat?

• The same
    • No smoke machines
    • No dumb J*stin B*eber music
    • 2 & 3
    • 4 + clips from classic drum corps
    • No music, video, or smoke machines
  3. 3. Rate last year's retreat from 1-5

• 1 (Even Helen Keller thought it sucked)
    • 2 (My eyes and ears are still bleeding)
    • 3 (I could do without either smoke or music)
    • 4 (I didn't care)
    • 5 (I loved it)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't actually paying attention to the music being played so my only problem was that, after the last score was announced, there was no mass horn line performance. I missed that. To me it's one of the most impressive things ever to hear 12 World Class hornlines playing together. I hope they bring that back. I don't mind the smoke machines. But ... bring back the full retreat performance. :smile:

What was so wrong with the U.S. Marines Drum & Bugle Corps playing the finalists onto the field in an Olympic style retreat, as has been the case for the last ? years (for those not in attendance, the Marines WERE there and performed earlier in the evening in exhibition, as has also been the case for several years). As for the massed horns, that absolutely should be brought back...despite the debacle from 2008. Corps and their members should be forewarned and the guilty should be appropriately disciplined if they cannot conduct themselves as the young adults they are.

As much as I HATE J.Bieber music or Miley S. . If the show is for the paying audiance why can't the retreat be about the members ( Fun / Party ) after all it is about them, at least at that point. I remember hating those long boreing, award for everything possible ( Kinda like DCA ). retreats. Just a thought.

As much as I HATE J.Bieber music or Miley S. . If the show is for the paying audiance why can't the retreat be about the members ( Fun / Party ) after all it is about them, at least at that point. I remember hating those long boreing, award for everything possible ( Kinda like DCA ). retreats. Just a thought.

Actually, I disagree. It's not about the members during retreat. It is a natural state of adolescence to be very "self centered" while learning to navigate the world. Drum corps, and retreat is a rare environment in which setting aside the individual self for the good of the whole is expected. This is one of the most important lessons that drum corps can teach, IMO.

Secondly, retreat is a last moment for the audience to observe the bearing and tradition of each corps member in uniform before the summer is over. In the spirit of this, members should remain focused on the whole rather than their personal desires. The party begins after scores are announced, and even then members need to remember they are STILL in uniform.

Lastly, from the people I've talked to who were on the field as members at finals retreat, they were like "WTF?!?!?" with the smoke and the music. A live drum line would have satisfied them.

Actually, I disagree. It's not about the members during retreat. It is a natural state of adolescence to be very "self centered" while learning to navigate the world. Drum corps, and retreat is a rare environment in which setting aside the individual self for the good of the whole is expected. This is one of the most important lessons that drum corps can teach, IMO.

Secondly, retreat is a last moment for the audience to observe the bearing and tradition of each corps member in uniform before the summer is over. In the spirit of this, members should remain focused on the whole rather than their personal desires. The party begins after scores are announced, and even then members need to remember they are STILL in uniform.

Lastly, from the people I've talked to who were on the field as members at finals retreat, they were like "WTF?!?!?" with the smoke and the music. A live drum line would have satisfied them.

You dont have to tell me about kids I teach them every day and I know how self centered they are BUT when is it about them? Those old retreats ( JMO as a past member ) were horrible...couldnt wait for them to be over.

I wasn't actually paying attention to the music being played so my only problem was that, after the last score was announced, there was no mass horn line performance. I missed that. To me it's one of the most impressive things ever to hear 12 World Class hornlines playing together. I hope they bring that back. I don't mind the smoke machines. But ... bring back the full retreat performance. :smile:

Exactly. This was the only thing i didnt like. The miley song was... appropriate... for the drum corps experience.

I don't know . . . telling the members that this is a special fun party moment just for them while in full uniform in front of an audience seems to go against everything drum corps is supposed to be about.

That, and I haven't talked to one CMM who did not absolutely loathe last year's retreat. Whatever consultant thought up the idea apparently did not consult them. But I doubt it was really meant to appeal to the members. It was most designed to appeal to the band audience DCI is desperately courting . . . and it failed there, too.

I don't know . . . telling the members that this is a special fun party moment just for them while in full uniform in front of an audience seems to go against everything drum corps is supposed to be about.

That, and I haven't talked to one CMM who did not absolutely loathe last year's retreat. Whatever consultant thought up the idea apparently did not consult them. But I doubt it was really meant to appeal to the members. It was most designed to appeal to the band audience DCI is desperately courting . . . and it failed there, too.

I do agree that it takes a huge chance that members will have fun but remember to behave and YES it can get out of control..JMO though I just didnt care for those stuffy retreats. I did my performance for the people, how much more do they have to have....I guess it's a subjective choice just like all of this activity . JMO