Carolina Crown and Bluecoats

Crown's brass charts are my favorite of the year, if not the past few years. They could stand still for eleven minutes on the field and I wouldn't care at all.

Bluecoats show is interesting to me and enjoyable while watching, but it doesn't create any indelible marks on my musical "minds eye".

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<<< HOMER. Bluecoats. period.

Love Crowns brass line and the arrangements are fantastic but the show is bland at times. Their guard is great but drumline is struggling. Gotta go with the Bloo this year for sheer entertainment. Klesch is great but I think the Rarick/Thrower team have put together the musical program to beat this year. All sections are strong. All guns firing.

The WHOLE package = Bluecoats 2010.

The future IS now.

The only thing I dont' like about Crown's show is the Rachmaninoff after the Mahler reprise. Everything up to there makes sense in a "traditional" drum corps sort of way - opener, production number, ballad, reprise... then something completely new? It feels like it should be reversed; the Mahler should be the end of the show. Or if not, then how about a closing segment that's a reprise of all of the tunes from the show? You know, a second chance at it... :smile:

Mike

This year's Bluecoats show is, for me, one of those elite shows that starts GREAT and just keeps getting better and better and better all the way to the end. It is a show that is totally balanced in terms of outstanding brass and percussion moments. The guard work is awesome and the intensity of the visual is a perfect match to the music.

This show, again for me, is THE SHOW for the 2010 season...followed closely by the Cavies.

(Crown is good too.)

Bluecoats hands down. Crown has a classic hornline but all that dancing and "body movement" just doesn't do it for me. Never will.

Agree.... Bluecoats hand down. They have all the look, feel, sound, ethos that still says( to me at least ) "Drum Corps ". Bluecoats may not win percussion this year, but I think they have the best sounding snare drum line in all of DCI this year. I love their drum parts, and the stuff the snare and tenor line does is the coolest in all of Drum Corps, imo. too.

Carolina Crown ....great brass line...'have loved their shows in the most recent past, but this show, while still very good, just lacks the excitement generated over some of their more recent shows. Like you, I 'm not a fan of their body movements on the field either.

Edited by BRASSO

Bloo is redefining excitement with their show. Crown is redefining great brass sound but nothing else. I just can't sit through Crown's show anymore, Bluecoats is one of this years shows I just can't get enough of.

Yeah, I find myself wondering why I'm watching Crown, when this show is so obviously meant to solely be listened to.

Bluecoats hands down. Crown has a classic hornline but all that dancing and "body movement" just doesn't do it for me. Never will.

Yeah, I like marching in my marching music ensembles, too.

Crown's brass charts are my favorite of the year, if not the past few years. They could stand still for eleven minutes on the field and I wouldn't care at all.

I like the brass, too. Sound-wise, awesome. Arrangement-wise, not as complex as I prefer it, but that's just a personal preference. Pit and battery could use a lot of changes to match the brass better.

Too much standing still in the show as is. It's a marching activity, for crying out loud! I don't care if they sound good in an arc, that's not very impressive to me. I prefer to see the hornline booking it from one end to the field to the other, playing fffffff with long phrases and no "bouncing" in the sound (see: Phantom Regiment running hornline on YouTube). THAT'S drum corps!

Edited by JamMan

Wow...incredibly gratifying that Bluecoats are finally getting the props they deserve on here. Interesting statement that was relayed to me by my son: while all the attention is very cool this season, and certainly deserved, the Bluecoats haven't changed a THING about how they prepare, rehearse, compete, and perform. That's a credit to the staff.

Combine that with an incredibly layered, artistically unified direction to the show itself -- and the movement this activity demands WHILE the show is being performed -- and you have the magic we've been experiencing this year.

I'm biased, of course. :smile:

Oh, and for anyone who's interested, pictures I took during San Antonio rehearsals and the show are on the Bluecoats facebook page. Feel free to check, tag, etc.

http://www.facebook.com/lowflams#!/Bluecoats?v=photos

Edited by CoatsContraDad

I haven't seen both together since July 9th in Akron. Based on that...

Bluecoats have a more fun program to watch. They are squeeeeky clean already aside from the gaurd and transition drills. I think they have the best overall enseble and play so great as a group. They have a lot of tough timing sections in the show and they play great together front to back. Most corps are still rough with this at finals but the coats are solid, yet those caption scores never reflect that. But I'm not wearing a green polo so what do I know!

You can't help but love it when Crown's brass bludgeons your ears to the point of blood. But they just don't seem as clean this year. The music is probably tougher in areas. But I'm with SFZFAN, the odd body girations don't do it for me either. Star used to drive my nutty for this reason but at least their movement tied into the program. Crown seems to do it just to make you go HMMMmmm. Everyone has different styles, so that's probably good. It's just not what I prefer to see. I go to be entertained and the dance is not what makes me pay to watch a show.

I love both but I personally feel the bluecoats will get 4th, and Crown in 5th, behind the Cadets. But who knows, it's early! :smile: