Explain the Stories Behind These 2010 Shows

Would it be prying to ask what 709 means?

THIS. Also, I think all of these shows convey their respective titles very well and without a ton of "research". Mad World, is obviously mad, crazy, etc. Toy Souldier couldn't be more obvious. The impression of Metropolis is easily there with the musical and visual style. Second Chance is all over the drill, music, guard outfits, etc. A show can have a concept without having to be a story. Though, I think Mad World and Toy Souldier are the most successful shows at telling a story this year. Houdini is the only other world class show I'm familiar with this year that sets out specifically to tell a story. Having a conceptual title for a show does not mean it has to tell a story, only that it should convey the concept.

Edited by Cron

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BD09 and Coats09 are two shows off the top of my head recently where I had NO CLUE what was going on with the premise.

Would it be prying to ask what 709 means?

I don't think it's "prying" to ask - i don't think it's a secret - but I don't think I could completely explain it by typing. It goes back to an event on Bluecoats 2002 tour. A school in Wichita. A new security system in the school went off... over and over and over for like 2 or 3 hours. It had a repeated a voice message over the PA system. "Seven, Zero, Nine". It was the most annoying thing you've ever heard. Some kind of code i guess. It subsequently became a metaphor for ANYthing that was an emergency. "Get your stuff off the busses! 709!" Then it started to mean anything that was "serious". "Tomorrow is 709 in Murfreesboro". Then it became anything "awesome". "That tenor break is totally 709!" Then it just became ANYthing. "This potato casserole is 709". You know how tour is - something like that sticks with you and becomes a "hype".

I am HYPED right now.

Go BLOOO

7 - 0 - 9

wow

has no one ever read, or seen metropolis?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_%28film%29

Theo Von Harbeau? Fritz Lang?

...anybody?

and you call yourselves old school. :grouphug:

Edited by comeonfhqwhgads

wow

has no one ever read, or seen metropolis?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_%28film%29

Theo Von Harbeau? Fritz Lang?

...anybody?

and you call yourselves old school. :grouphug:

Or the Queen Radio Ga-Ga music video!

So how does the show tell the story of "Metropolis?"

It doesn't, of course; it's just easy to slap some Art Deco stuff up on a poster, come up with some vague thing about "futures" and go from there.

Were some corps to do something truly based off of "Metropolis" it would be virtually impossible to pull off . . .drum corps doesn't do dystopian futures very well. :grouphug:

My point is just that most corps' themes and stories are so half-baked and ill-conceived that they don't make the show more enjoyable to anyone except for the most small-minded....

Funny - the term "small minded" usually refers to people who insist that things be a certain way, that there's only one 'correct' way for things to be done. :grouphug:

Cadets - Toy Souldier

Carolina Crown - A S3con4 Chance

Cavaliers - Mad World

Bluecoats - Metropolis

I challenge any of you to build, from start to finish, a cogent narrative of what exactly is being portrayed by the "characters" and members on the field.

Go!

Note: inside information is cheating.

Why only these shows?

Why not challenge on BD, SCV, etc...?