easy vs hard

hard to understand vs easy to understand  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like shows that take several views to understand the concept or do you like shows that are simple and easy to get?

• hard
    • easy

I was newly crowned the judge of what people liked so I thought who better to ask than the people that still go to shows nowdays. What do you think. Is it more enjoyable to YOU personally, if you have to see a show several times and read the libretto to understand, or do you just enjoy sitting back and watching the show while enjoying simple but stellar tunes?

I like a mixture of both.

All of one or the other gets boring in and of itself.

It's a rare show that I'll ever grow to love if I don't already like it on the first viewing though. VERY rare, actually. Only a couple I can think of.

The best shows are both. They can be enjoyed on the first viewing, but as they're looked at again and again more complexity is seen.

The best shows are the ones that you can understand first time going, but are able to find new things in later viewings.

I am ok with needing multiple viewings, but the fact is if the judges need multiple viewings, then they aren't judging just based on what they see that day, but rather what they "know (think)" is happening, unless they have a nice checklist for each corps, like :35 I look at A, :47 I look at B, 1:06 I look at C... which I doubt they have. When you have to explain things to the judges to get the points for it, that is just... meh.

More goosebumps please

The best shows are both. They can be enjoyed on the first viewing, but as they're looked at again and again more complexity is seen.

This is the kind of show that gives me the most enjoyment as well. This year I'm diggin' Bluecoats a lot for this reason.

I tend to agree with both, but shows that are too simple cannot capture my attention for more than 1 viewing. So, I would rather have a complex show that I can enjoy multiple times, than a simple show that I can enjoy once. And with DCI's format of qtrs, semis and finals all within 3 days, well, simple shows don't make any sense at all to me.