Will the friends of DCI plan work?

Will the friends of DCI plan work?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Will the friends of DCI plan work?

• Yes
    • No

I took a look into what it comes to become a friend of DCI today out of curiosity's sake. Its quite a hefty cost to become a "friend". Now I have a simple question, will it work? Are regular fans going to show up to finals to see empty seats between the 40's because there aren't enough people willing to throw $1000+ at DCI or will the whole system pan out just the way DCI wants it? Please share your comments on this.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I took a look into what it comes to become a friend of DCI today out of curiosity's sake. Its quite a hefty cost to become a "friend". Now I have a simple question, will it work? Are regular fans going to show up to finals to see empty seats between the 40's because there aren't enough people willing to throw $1000+ at DCI or will the whole system pan out just the way DCI wants it? Please share your comments on this.

Ummm...what plan are you talking about? Is there something new?

The email I got last month said that Friends levels are the same next year as this year and last year.

And to pick a nit, when you say "regular" fans, do you mean non-Friends members? I didn't know I'm a "irregular" fan. :worthy:

Edited by garfield

Friends of DCI was formed in the early 80's and has been a huge success. Friends have donated thousands of dollar each year to DCI and most support individual corps also. Once all the Friends request for tickets have been met DCI opens up the left over seats to the corps to sell. No seats within the 40's go unsold at the regionals or chapionships. I normally sit in the Friends section but I have never been a Friend of DCI since I prefer to donate directly to corps. If you want good sits

guaranteed being a Friend of DCI is the way to go. The order of preference for DCI tickets is big sponsors get free tickets first, Friends of DCI have to have their requests for tickets in by a certain date. Corps get to order tickets next in whatever sections they want. Last in order is the general public in all sections.

After all these years there is no mystery on how tickets are distributed. I got my seats on the 50 this year the same way I did 35 years ago.

Edited by dcifanforlife

Friends of DCI was formed in the early 80's and has been a huge success. Friends have donated thousands of dollar each year to DCI and most support individual corps also. Once all the Friends request for tickets have been met DCI opens up the left over seats to the corps to sell. No seats within the 40's go unsold at the regionals or chapionships. I normally sit in the Friends section but I have never been a Freind of DCI since I prefer to donate directly to corps. If you want good sits

guaranteed being a Friend of DCI is the way to go.

See, I was unaware of this. I did not know that you could be considered a friend for direct donation to a corp. I thought all the money had to go directly through DCI.

Ummm...what plan are you talking about? Is there something new?

The email I got last month said that Friends levels are the same next year as this year and last year.

And to pick a nit, when you say "regular" fans, do you mean non-Friends members? I didn't know I'm a "irregular" fan. :worthy:

Yes, non-Friends. Sorry for the poor wording.

See, I was unaware of this. I did not know that you could be considered a friend for direct donation to a corp. I thought all the money had to go directly through DCI.

You can't become a Friend of DCI by making a direct donation to a corps. Corps get tickets from DCI for Championships and the corps makes a slight profit from the sale of these "Corps Block" tickets.

You can't become a Friend of DCI by making a direct donation to a corps. Corps get tickets from DCI for Championships and the corps makes a slight profit from the sale of these "Corps Block" tickets.

So the corps block seats are in the friends of DCI section though?

So the corps block seats are in the friends of DCI section though?

No they are not. The Friends of DCI seats are basically between the 40s in levels

2-5. Only folks who are Friends of DCI (I believe at the bronze level and above) can order those seats in advance. There is no "discount" on the price of the seats. The advantage of being a Friend is that you get to order your tickets first (I've already placed my order for 2011) and thus have the opportunity to get the best.

If the Friends of DCI do not buy all of those seats they are then made available to the public...at the same price.

Is this year the first year they are basically putting a limitation on those seats to only friends?

Yes, 2010 is the first, but I'm sure ALL seats between the 40s will be sold. I for one have no problem with DCI providing this benefit to the people they give them extra $$$ support. That's true of almost all professional events (athletic,theater,music) as well.