Amps

I don't think they did. There are many reasons the CYO went by the wayside in many more ways than just drum corps. Every church used to have one, now you can barely find one in a county around here.....Is that DCI's fault too?? :smile:

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i had to jump in here. since 1972 you had many jr. corps go under. they were small church sponserd corps . in ny, nj, pa mass and so on there were thousands of jr corps. they are all dead & gone now. and sr corps is losing great corps all the time. so don't tell me the activity is fine. it's not. it's getting smaller. it's all about mega corps with lots of money. i know things will evolve as they always have but i have to tell you as they have we have lost many coprs along the way. and let's not forget the crowds that used to come out to DCA show's for instance. bridgeport....14,000 people. dream an easy 20,000. tournament of drums 12,000-22,000, baltimore 18,000......DCA in rochester 18,000-22,000. is it growing or losing?we all need a reality check here. i know all the apoligist's will jump all over me but these are facts. you can either except the truth or live in a dream . it's your choice. these are the facts and they can't be ignored. the new breed will do as they must but don't be surprised if the numbers continue to drop. it's very sad. prior to 72 was the glory days of drum corps and that is a fact. by 1975 it was starting to wane & wax. tell me how many corps are there now and how big are the crowds? just think about it before you all jump all over me.

You are 100% right in EVERYTHING you say but not 1 of those outcomes is because of anything that chaged in Drum Corps BUT EVERYTHING to do with the times and the world we live in now. Did DCI contribute to alot of it YES, I believe it did. You can say change , style, synths, kazooz, dance whatever you want is the reason for some of the demise of Drum Corps BUT I don't believe that at all. Drum Corps was a large local, VFW, LEgion , Church, community activity and none of that exsists now and not just in drum Corps in other activities also.

I do think it's alive and well within our very small niche but is it the drum corps we remember? No , it's not, will drum corps be the same 20 years from now as it is now? NO, it wont, but you know neither is your local CYO kids activities, little league, boy Scouts ( dont get me statrted there..lol ) MAybe it's a shame the world is different, maybe not, maybe kids are missing out on what we experienced But I also remember saying that at a diminished thanksgiving table a few years back and the few kids in the family that didnt have 10 million other things they wanted to do the ones there never stopped texting. Sad but true.

Not to mention the elimination of American Legion, the VFW and all the CYO corps.....oh wait a minute, maybe DCI did have something to do with that......hmmmmm?????

Do you not think DCA's requirement of, if so many DCA corps are in a regionally sponsored show,it had to be, a DCA show, didn't kill RCA?

Do you not think DCA's requirement of, if so many DCA corps are in a regionally sponsored show,it had to be, a DCA show, didn't kill RCA?

That's a new one on me.... We did a lot of DCA and RCA shows 75-77 and given the choice and distance wasn't too bad we always took the DCA show because it paid a lot better. Lot of the RCA shows in the middle of nowhere died off because costs rose and the sponsors couldn't raise the ticket prices too much or they'd loose too many butts in the stands. (Off the top of my head, thinking of the PA Coal Region Tour we took.)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

And what does that have to do with the topic of amps? Please, let's stay on topic.

And what does that have to do with the topic of amps? Please, let's stay on topic.

Hmmmm...... if DCA gets plugged in will they go indoors "just in case" 2006 Ernesto makes another appearance.... or 1975 Finals Monsoon at the end.... or the year we never really had a Finals in the 80s or so (can't remember).

DCI causing the demise of drum corps doesn't have anything to do with allowing amps in DCA but it went there without notice....

I'd bet if you called or e-mailed the top 10 corps directors directly you'd find out real quick if electronics were on the verge of being approved this go around.

'course they're pretty busy right now with the season and all, but still that'd be a fast way to find out vice waiting until after rule meeting.

I'd bet if you called or e-mailed the top 10 corps directors directly you'd find out real quick if electronics were on the verge of being approved this go around.

'course they're pretty busy right now with the season and all, but still that'd be a fast way to find out vice waiting until after rule meeting.

Maybe, but I think the Cavaliers have been a great example of how a director may say they don't support a rule, but go along with it in the end anyway. They didn't support Bb's and waited a year before jumping on the wagon. Then they didn't support amps, but had them the first year they were approved. Sometimes directors will tell you whatever is in the best interest of the corps' PR.