Will BD 2010 Be Forgettable?

Important Note: You really can apply this to any and all corps that produce shows that are not so "fan friendly." It just so happens that the Blue Devils are the lightning rod right now.

I saw an internet link to the most recent issue of Halftime Magazine and they list their top five legendary drum corps shows. As I read, I saw a general trend: 4 of the 5 were crowd pleasing shows. So as I ate my vegetable beef soup last night, I thought about DCP (that's all of us) and the shows that are frequently cited as "favorites." As best I can recall, the vast majority are shows that the masses enjoy (this includes drum corps fanatics as well as the regular folks in the stands).

My question to you who know much more about drum corps than I do: do you think in ten years people will cite "Through a Glass, Darkly" as a legendary show? It just seems to me like the odds are stacked against them. This leads to a secondary question: Does that even matter?

Sidenote: If you think back over just the past five years, would you list any of those shows as "legendary"? If so, which ones? And if not, are there shows that you think will be remembered in ten years by more than just a few people? If so, which ones?

BTW: Here is the Halftime List:

#1. 1993 Star (Barber and Bartok)

#2. 1984 Cadets (West Side Story)

#3. 2008 Phantom (Spartacus)

#4. 1989 SCV (Phantom of the Opera)

#5. 1988 Scouts (Maleguena)

P.S. Interesting to note the years of these "legendary" shows.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This should get interesting.

I think people remember shows that create a deep emotional connection for them; be it the slightly angry vibe of Star of Indiana 1993 or the kick-your-teeth-in passion of the Madison Scouts 1988 show.

Using that as a barometer for what might be qualified as "legendary" under this list . . .I don't know that any of the shows since Phantom Regiment 2008 qualify. The fact that "Spartacus" came from behind to win, and ended the season on such an emotional high ascribe almost a mythic quality to it.

In short, when the next one that is "something special" comes along . . .I think we'll all know it on a certain level.

Interesting that Star 93 is on there. Based on the trend of the others, I feel like Cadets 93 would fit better.

Important Note: You really can apply this to any and all corps that produce shows that are not so "fan friendly." It just so happens that the Blue Devils are the lightning rod right now.

BTW: Here is the Halftime List:

#1. 1993 Star (Barber and Bartok)

#2. 1984 Cadets (West Side Story)

#3. 2008 Phantom (Spartacus)

#4. 1989 SCV (Phantom of the Opera)

#5. 1988 Scouts (Maleguena)

P.S. Interesting to note the years of these "legendary" shows.

Will what be forgettable? :lookaround:

The only one of those shows I'm not familiar with is '84 Cadets. Sorry. I am "youngin'" and my knowledge base is a bit sketchy pre-1995. Even though it's only 2 years old, Phantom '08 is the most intense drum corps experience I've ever had. I was through the roof with that show and I was on Staff for BDB that year. Legend implies age, but I have no doubt it will be remembered as one of the all time greats.

I would add:

1996 Phantom (Defiant Heart)

1995 Scouts (Drum Corps Fan's Dream? I was never clear on whether or not that was really the name of the show)

2002 Cavaliers (Frameworks)

Interesting that Star 93 is on there. Based on the trend of the others, I feel like Cadets 93 would fit better.

Those top 3 shows in '93 (Phantom, Cadets, Star) were all pretty awesome. But Star was a game-changing show, IMHO.

Edited by atlvalet

1975 MADISON SCOUTS!!!!!

1994 27th LANCERS-I would put that as #1 on the list!!!!!

Those top 3 shows in '93 (Phantom, Cadets, Star) were all pretty awesome. But Star was a game-changing show, IMHO.

Agreed. I just thought it was interesting that all five years on this list are years where two corps dominated all season, but 93 is the only year where GM didn't pick the winner.

I saw an internet link to the most recent issue of Halftime Magazine and they list their top five legendary drum corps shows. As I read, I saw a general trend: 4 of the 5 were crowd pleasing shows.

Not surprising, considering the list was created with DCP input:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=136405

Naturally there's going to be some selection bias in the results.

I'm going to assume you don't consider Star 1993 to be a crowd-pleasing show.

Seems to be a matter of personal opinion that will probably lead to arguments just based on what's been posted here the past few weeks. Some will see it as one of the best shows ever put on the field, and the rest will probably ignore it on their CD's and DVD's because they think it is boring.