Pitchforks and Torches

This is my second thread in a half hour. You can blame the guy in the cafeteria who accidentally put caffeinated coffee where the decaf goes. Let's just say that I'm really hyper right now.

Rewind to 2008: A "movement" occurred throughout drum corps that helped propel (in my unscientific opinion) Phantom to victory. I remember posts on DCP in mid July where many were almost shouting that if Phantom didn't win it would be one of the great travesties in drum corps history.

I personally saw the show several times throughout the season (including the first show of the year), Denver, etc. and I noticed a literal ground swell of excitement for this show. It was destiny in the making. The fans had their pitchforks and torches under their seats and ready to use.

I for one believe that particular show had all the components of a legendary show. One of the key elements was fan support. I think it deserved to win 2008, but there is a part of me that believes the fans made it nearly impossible for it not to win. Does that make any sense?

Fast forward to 2010: I question whether there is a corps this year that can harness the power of the crowd. I haven't seen the same zeal for any of the shows this year that rivals the fanaticism that was shown in 08. Could that change? Perhaps, but it's getting late.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice post Granny. I'm in general agreement with you ... but I think there is another major factor in all this.

PR told a story .......... a great story! In some ways, the story of their show was the story of their season. I won't spell that out .. but it's something to correlate for ones self.

The only corps really trying to tell a story this year that is in the running is Cadets.

Toy Soldier is starting to get that vibe ......... people are starting to back it.

Not so much here on DCP ... there isn't a new thread every day about how this show should be winning, but there is a growing love for what they're doing and it seems to me, the onlookers are just waiting for the performance to catch up to the design. It's getting there, so we'll see how far the kids on the field can carry the people in the stands.

Biggest problem, they have a couple of other corps in front of them and/or tied with them at this point. The tear of terror has to continue in short order for the things you speak of to happen. We'll see .......

I gotta agree with Granny on this one. My only exposure to DCI in 2008 was DCP up until the quarterfinals theater show. I was really looking forward to seeing Phantom Regiment in particular, and was absoltely blown away by the show they put on there. Watching their march from 4th seed, to 3rd at quarters, 2nd in semis and then to win it all at finals was super exciting, totally believable, and dare I say it, destiny. Unless one of the 2-5 corps (or SCV or Madison if that were possible) is able to throw in some sort of amazing addition to their show that blows everyone away, I don't see anyone deserving to upset BD this year. Nobody has the requisite magic in 2010 to pull off a "Sparticus".

I would prefer that the best and most technically superior corps wins, rather than the one with the most pitchforks and torches.

Admittedly bias but objectively observing a growing groundswell of emotional connection, appreciation and support for Mad World; particularly as the guys are totally beginning to execute and sell it. Word on Souvie row (as a soft but typically accurate indicator of fandom) is Cavie merchandise and HSchooler dancing/ovating in stands is WAY up. Similar vibes to '08.

I would prefer that the best and most technically superior corps wins, rather than the one with the most pitchforks and torches.

Well, it looks like you might just get your wish this year.

(BTW: The pitchforks and torches have nothing to do with the show itself, but rather the fans)

This is my second thread in a half hour. You can blame the guy in the cafeteria who accidentally put caffeinated coffee where the decaf goes. Let's just say that I'm really hyper right now.

Rewind to 2008: A "movement" occurred throughout drum corps that helped propel (in my unscientific opinion) Phantom to victory. I remember posts on DCP in mid July where many were almost shouting that if Phantom didn't win it would be one of the great travesties in drum corps history.

I personally saw the show several times throughout the season (including the first show of the year), Denver, etc. and I noticed a literal ground swell of excitement for this show. It was destiny in the making. The fans had their pitchforks and torches under their seats and ready to use.

I for one believe that particular show had all the components of a legendary show. One of the key elements was fan support. I think it deserved to win 2008, but there is a part of me that believes the fans made it nearly impossible for it not to win. Does that make any sense?

Fast forward to 2010: I question whether there is a corps this year that can harness the power of the crowd. I haven't seen the same zeal for any of the shows this year that rivals the fanaticism that was shown in 08. Could that change? Perhaps, but it's getting late.

Unfortunately Phanrom in no way deserved to win in 08. They should have been 3rd. Their visual GE and Colorguard scores should have prevented them from winning the title. The only caption they should have even been top 3 would have been percussion, which they deserved to win. It was a fantastic show, and I have watched it many many times. However a championship show it wasn't. This is my opinion, and I know it isn't necessarily a popular one. They definitely were the crowd favorite that year though, but most of that seemed to be because of the on field killings. Overall Cavaliers probably had many more WOW moments in the drill and visual GE.

This year I think the only show that could overcome Blue Devils is Cavaliers. At the shows we have been to this year, Cavies have definitely had the crowd support, which I haven't seen for them since the early 2000s. It probably helps they haven't won a title in 4 years. Bluecoats also have an amazing show this year, and possibly could have a slight chance for the upset over Blue Devils, although I would predict them probably to end up 3rd.

I personally don't see Cadets any higher than 4th at this point, although they do have a tendency to come on strong at the end of the season.

Well, it looks like you might just get your wish this year.

(BTW: The pitchforks and torches have nothing to do with the show itself, but rather the fans)

Speaking of torches and pitchforks and such....

Is it true that if I go to finals and present the ticket office with your broomstick that I'll get a free ticket in the "Friends of DCI" section ?

< insert rimshot HERE >

Unfortunately Phanrom in no way deserved to win in 08. They should have been 3rd. Their visual GE and Colorguard scores should have prevented them from winning the title. The only caption they should have even been top 3 would have been percussion, which they deserved to win. It was a fantastic show, and I have watched it many many times. However a championship show it wasn't. This is my opinion, and I know it isn't necessarily a popular one. They definitely were the crowd favorite that year though, but most of that seemed to be because of the on field killings. Overall Cavaliers probably had many more WOW moments in the drill and visual GE.

Oh, good lord. It was a championship show. For one...because it won!

However, you bring up something that many of us contend for which is that a championship show is one in which there is more than just technical cleanliness. I think that is one of the fundamental debates on this site and one that will always bring out the best and worst in all of us.

IF drum corps is art, then the visceral connection between the fan and the corps is critical. That is why I think shows that leave the fan sitting in their seat is undeserving of the championship regardless of how "clean" it is. I am one that does not think the "will of the people" should be ignored in drum corps. I realize this is highly subjective, but then again what part of drum corps isn't to some degree?

In 2008, there were some (like yourself) who claim Phantom did not deserve to win; however, I would bet my new false teeth that 95% of the fans in Bloomington thought they did. They felt that way because Phantom did what all drum corps should strive to do which is touch the fan in their deep inward feelings, whether those feelings are anger, sadness, happiness, excitement, etc.

There are others (and they are welcome to their opinion) who believe that technical superiority wins the day. Heaven help us.

I actually don't think the fans had much, if anything, to do with the win. Phantom won because the total of all their scores added up to more than that for the Blue Devils. No one judge knew what the others were giving them or what the result would be. If the judges really felt compelled to throw a victory their way, the result would have been more decisive as they had no way of knowing whatever relative improvements they scored Phantom with would be enough to do it.

For that matter, although I remember most everybody liking the show and a lot of people rooting for them to win, I don't remember much in the way of demands or even expectations they would win. I daresay the majority of us pulling for them were surprised when it actually happened. It's just one of those rare times where the heavy favorite (at least from an entertainment perspective) ended up winning.

It's easy to define destiny retroactively, as all the things that didn't end up happening end up being forgotten and the few that did happen become legendary. 2008 was an incredible finish and one that will be remembered for decades. But if that stuff happened every year, it would cease to mean as much, so I'm OK with it not happening every year.