Why do the Judges matter?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do the judges matter INDEED!

Just enjoy the shows and let go of things that are beyond your control.

The judges themselves don't matter all that much - I generally feel that DCI's judges are professionals and do a good job of using the sheets to arrive at scores. Some years I'm happy because a show I like comes out on top, other years not so much, but the judging isn't a big factor in whether or not I enjoy a DCI show or season.

OTOH, the judging criteria matters a lot. You get more of the things that you reward. I think Cesario's promised review of GE is overdue.

I now leave before scores are announced. I could care less who wins, I just want to be entertained (and all 8 did the job for me at Masters) and for the sake of argument, I don't enjoy the DCP favorite, Madison Scouts, this season. Some years my favorite wins, sometimes they don't and if I ever let the outcome effect my enjoyment, I will need to step away from the activity.

Go to the show, eat some overpriced pizza, buy the T-Shirt of your favorite show and enjoy!

dude... :lookaround:

It's true. We get into pretty heated debates about marching band. There really isn't much about drum corps that isn't silly.

Does that make it not a great activity? Of course not. But wen you try to apply logic to drum corps, it's pretty easy to conclude that the activity is a goofy Fun niche at best, ridiculous at worst. But perception matters not, and if YOU love the activity, then what's it matter what the mainstream thinks of drum corps. Or what judges score/rank shows.

Seriously?? Are you suggesting we line up the drum majors and allow the crowd to choose who is the winner by volume of applause? Who did you march with is the first quesion that is begged, on broken knees? And perhaps a clearer definition of "mind blowing, amazing shows", is called for here. When Cavies first started maching their amazing shows they weren't that popular because it was claimed it was too much on the eyes. So what is it you want?

I would suggest perhaps a seperate class of dum corps, oh I don't know, maybe open class where the shows can be more appealing to a simpler fan base. What do you think?

I am of the opinion that dropping the standard to appeal to the "masses" wil be the death of drum corps and encourage the use of gimmicky characters rather then content driven shows...I'll come bak later to see if my views survived or not.

I now leave before scores are announced. I could care less who wins, I just want to be entertained (and all 8 did the job for me at Masters) and for the sake of argument, I don't enjoy the DCP favorite, Madison Scouts, this season. Some years my favorite wins, sometimes they don't and if I ever let the outcome effect my enjoyment, I will need to step away from the activity.

Go to the show, eat some overpriced pizza, buy the T-Shirt of your favorite show and enjoy!

WOW!!! Really, Madison??!!! They did that show when I marched!! In the 70's!!!

Really??? Has DCP become some place where band people and fans come to pretend a comprehension of drum corps?

Seriously?? Are you suggesting we line up the drum majors and allow the crowd to choose who is the winner by volume of applause? Who did you march with is the first question that is begged, on broken knees? And perhaps a clearer definition of "mind blowing, amazing shows", is called for here. When Cavies first started marching their amazing shows they weren't that popular because it was claimed it was too much on the eyes. So what is it you want?

I would suggest perhaps a separate class of drum corps, oh I don't know, maybe open class where the shows can be more appealing to a simpler fan base. What do you think?

I am of the opinion that dropping the standard to appeal to the "masses" will be the death of drum corps and encourage the use of gimmicky characters rather then content driven shows...I'll come bak later to see if my views survived or not.

My thoughts exactly

There is often a big difference between the corps I like and the corps I think should win. For example, in a "fan favorite text poll" I'd pick Blue Stars over Carolina Crown this year. But obviously Crown is the better corps.

I think we should start by cutting off these meetings between judges and corps. If it takes a few meetings to figure out what the show means, it's not accessible enough and should be judged in that respect. You get a lot of judges and staff members who understand what's going on while the crowd gets left out of things.

WOW!!! Really, Madison??!!! They did that show when I marched!! In the 70's!!!

Really??? Has DCP become some place where band people and fans come to pretend a comprehension of drum corps?

Was that sarcastic?

Madison had entertaining music but not much going on. Some easy tricks to get the old-school crowd going. It was...decent.

Was that sarcastic?

Madison had entertaining music but not much going on. Some easy tricks to get the old-school crowd going. It was...decent.

I just read somewhere in this thread that they felt Madison should have won a show they went to recently, I was just, possibly over, reacting to that. :thumbup: