Judges being in shape.

If the fans can't hear it, how important is it?

Maybe in order for the corps to be judged in a pristine environment, we should get rid of those darn fans too.

Seriously???

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we should put the "Green Shirts" on Segways! :thumbup:

28654946_d2ebf02330.jpg

Awesome!!! :thumbup:

I know round is a shape, so now that that is out of the way... :thumbup:

Drum corps has become an elite sport where music and athleticism are combined to achieve some amazing performances and show concepts, but as with any judged endevour there must be adjudicators. Now I suggest that drum corps judges must remain at the same level of physical fitness as those they are judging. Allen K. someone I mached with back in the 70's, yea, that makes him old, is one of those judges. I would say without fear of contradiction that he is quite possibly the greatest example of judges who have kept up with the activity fitness wise. However, I have come to the conclusion that he is the exception. When I see a battery judge running to the safety of the front sidelines because gosh darn it they are getting light headed from running and talking at he same time, I question whether that person is qualified to judge. Would you have football/soccer, another elite athletic event, judged from the sidelines? I didn't think so...

Now...go! Discuss!

Coincidently I recently saw a documentary about the ref crew competing for the job of officiating the 'Club World Cup' football (soccer) match a few seasons back. It showed how much training the refs went through in order to show that they were capable of keeping up with the action on the field, and the shape that those guys (most of them significantly older than the players) have to be in in order to efficiently and correctly make the calls. It was eye opening to say the least, and gave me a lot more respect for those refs keeping up with some of the best athletes in the world.

I have often wondered about the shape of DCI field judges, but what you mention seems to be more the exception than the rule. I don't know many of the judges personally to be able to judge their fitness. I'm OK giving them the benefit of the doubt unless it's clear beyond reasonable doubt that a judge is in no shape to be a field judge.

Check it out, pretty cool. This is from a judge.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/43577101

I know round is a shape, so now that that is out of the way... :thumbup:

Drum corps has become an elite sport where music and athleticism are combined to achieve some amazing performances and show concepts, but as with any judged endevour there must be adjudicators. Now I suggest that drum corps judges must remain at the same level of physical fitness as those they are judging. Allen K. someone I mached with back in the 70's, yea, that makes him old, is one of those judges. I would say without fear of contradiction that he is quite possibly the greatest example of judges who have kept up with the activity fitness wise. However, I have come to the conclusion that he is the exception. When I see a battery judge running to the safety of the front sidelines because gosh darn it they are getting light headed from running and talking at he same time, I question whether that person is qualified to judge. Would you have football/soccer, another elite athletic event, judged from the sidelines? I didn't think so...

Now...go! Discuss!

I just plain don't see this happening the judges that are the most knowledgeable are much older that the kids that they are judging , I can see your point I just don't see the logic , but it is a problem . I got to hand it to Steve Ulincy at the Glassmen show he was right on top of it all and I noticed that Steve had an ankle brace on his right ankle . It was EXTREMELY HUMID at the show and the turf was really wet since a thunderstorm had went through right at start time 7:30 pm and nothing had a chance to dry out because of the humid conditions and yet Steve worked right through it all and the result's were quite accurate from what I can tell from the recaps . One percussion judge is not enough and this is proof !

Let's have police officers who are all in shape first, then we'll worry about DCI judges!

Today, with the tick system no longer in effect and most judges in the box, they can probably get away with a body that was built by Budweiser. :thumbup:

At the risk of some "grenades" being thrown my way -- the only reason Garfield Cadets drum line popped a perfect 20 in 87 was because field perc judge was not in shape, and spent the final 5 mins of their show parked on the front sideline for the most part.

I've listened to the audio several times over the past two decades. Too much dirt from the battery in spots to be "perfect." Just sayin...

:thumbup:

you have this in electronic format? i would love to hear it!