The World Series of Drum Corps

Rather than changing DCI from within they are creating a situation where they don't have to share the revenue from these shows with the rest of DCI. If that weakens DCI or other corps (how could it not?), then the power grab is accomplished, whether the board voted on it or not.

Are the performance fees and such at regular shows split between all 24 corps or just the 5-8 corps performing?

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I see your point, I think there's one additional point to consider: Given the G7 comments I heard at the Erie show (and the vehement emotions behind them), I don't think it's an exaggeration to predict that if the G7 proposal were to be implemented, people who normally would follow those corps would boycott anything they did. There's that much vitriol among the fans regarding this proposal. I honestly thought this reaction was just a DCP thing, but was amazed at how many people were aware of this proposal, and are utterly dismayed by it and its ramifications.

Agree with dbc03 - at this point, all that's left of the original proposal is the Super Show concept, and what kind of American thinks that it's wrong for those with ability and ambition to go out and maximize on their abilities? If they succeed, they've proved their point, and if they fail, then they'll have bear the shame of that failure.

It's time for some sort of intervention here, since the activity clearly has two competing mindsets at play within DCI.

As a compromise, I'm not sure why the 7 wouldn't agree to

1. Weeknight only "super events" in the major markets (Omaha is not a "major market"), as the big cities are the areas that are most likely to be able to support two or three DCI shows in a single season. That would leave the weekends free for the regular DCI schedule. Cavaliers drew 2,200 to Naperville last night to watch one dress rehearsal run*; it shouldn't be a problem for a bill of all seven of them to sell 5,000-7,000 seats around Chicago, Philly, SF, or central OH on a Tues or Wed night.

2. A promise to use the events to promote the whole activity rather than just themselves, giving DCI space in the souvenir area to set up its own interactive exhibit about drum corps, and reaching out to local OC corps to appear in exhibition and offering them discounted premium tickets they can re-sell at a markup to use to help raise some funds themselves.

If these events can maintain the basic financial framework of being co-operative events for the seven while being utilized by DCI to push ALL of the activity at the same time, seems that it turns them into win/win. The corps see some additional revenues to offset their additional expenses,and the events serve as advertisements for the regional events and Finals week.

* - oh; the primary method of communicating and marketing the event was Facebook. Social media works.

Edited by mobrien

Why is it different? Excluding Murfreesboro and the night show at 1 day regionals/semis/finals the lineup for every show is determined before the season. This is just another set of shows in that regard.

That's true, and they certainly are within their power to set up such shows. Short term it will probably help the G7. Long term if they undercut DCI, they are just hurting themselves. Small-scale part-time drum corps can survive on member contributions. The G7 might survive on their own. The middle ground will disappear fast without the top-end sharing the wealth. And when it does, the G7 will have a far smaller talent pool to draw from.

How? You can't just hand wave and say corps are going to be hurt by this

There are now nine shows on prime dates that other corps can't be a part of. These aren't additional shows. They are replacing shows the G7 corps might otherwise have attended. The revenue from the world series shows will all go to the G7, not DCI, and therefore not to any other corps. The audience at competing non-G7 shows will be smaller, as well. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see how that can't hurt every other corps.

Are the performance fees and such at regular shows split between all 24 corps or just the 5-8 corps performing?

My understanding was that most of the net income from ticket sales goes to the performing corps, and some goes to DCI which spreads it around. I could be wrong. Regardless, fewer shows that pair Mandarins and Cavaliers means less money for Mandarins.

what kind of American thinks that it's wrong for those with ability and ambition to go out and maximize on their abilities? If they succeed, they've proved their point, and if they fail, then they'll have bear the shame of that failure.

Sometimes maximizing your abilities means cooperating with others who are less able.

Why is coming up with a new idea depressing? Isn't it worth a shot to try something new? Don't people now admire Star for trying 'drum corps on stage' and creating something new and exciting many years ago?

First, it is not a new idea - greed is as old as humankind.

Second - it is not worth a shot to try something new if that new thing is at the expense of others. This is a direct frontal assault on DCI as an organization and all other corps that fall under the DCI umbrella.

Third - Star went off and did their own thing. They did not try to co-opt DCI for their own purposes.

Though I don't necessarily see the World Series concept as being a move that's good for drum corps, I think it's worth pointing out that some people are trying to play both ends of the argument:

1. These corps are too big for their britches, and they're not as popular as they think they are, and

2. If they pull out, lots of other corps will suffer because of the reduced revenues at DCI engendered by their defection.

Well, it's one or the other.

Actually, no it isn't. This proposal is a plain-and-simple money grab, not because of the mythical "draw" of these corps, but because of their demand to seize all the proceeds from selected events.

Let me put this in terms you can understand. Say the Blue Knights, Colts, Academy and Pacific Crest got together and decided that instead of running 9 DCI-sanctioned events like they usually do, they are going to dictate the terms of business for their events in 2011. While still availing themselves of the services that DCI provides in macro-marketing, training judges and contest coordinators, creating a logical summer-long tour, dealing with licensing issues, website creation and maintenance, etc., these corps now demand all the profit from their shows go to them directly, with no DCI revenue sharing. Of course, these four corps still expect their revenue-sharing from all the other DCI shows, some of which they do not participate in. Does that sound fair and reasonable to you?

Well, I finally got a show in North Carolina . . . :tongue:

No - they are just taking over the Charlotte show which has been run for years by Crown. It will probably be in Ft Mill or Rock Hill - South Carolina.

Edited by BOBSMYTH