End of the season thought on Crown

I can explain. It's there because I like it. :)

The Promise of Living is a great song, and Crown plays it magnificently.

Yes, that may be the case, but it makes absolutely no sense (to me) with the theme they're presented.

Even though this wasn't my favorite Crown show, what they presented earlier in the season had me thinking they could possibly take down Cadets, Cavies and Bluecoats. Now, I'm not so sure, but hell, they've had some rehearsal days so we'll see what happens.

I'M AT FINALS!!!

I said their show, i didn't say their music.

That's what their show is. A musical performance. Set to drill. With minor storytelling in the color guard.

If you don't find the iota of a story they try to present compelling...

...don't pay attention to it.

Yes, Mahler, Khatchaturian, Marquez, and Elgar make absolutely no sense. Uh-huh.

Thematically, well, no, they don't . . .watch the show from that perspective (reminding yourself that they forced this storyline onto the music) and try to follow the "story".

It would be better if they took a page from Bluecoats this year and went for a mood/aspect rather than trying to force feed a "second chance" idea into it that is largely ignored anyway through most of the show.

In the long run, though, I'll have something for heavy rotation for the iPod, so that's really all that matters to me. :tongue:

So as finals approaches and I reflect back on the season it really bothers me what happened to Crown over the course of the past 2 months. I feel like they abandoned the pursuit of technical/performance perfection in lieu of striving for design cohesion (which I don't feel they've achieved). In the beginning of the season they played and marched their ##### off and were at the top of the game in terms of performance, but as the season went on and people started to question how they were getting the theme of their across. In my opinion their show makes absolutely no ####### sense. You have a main character 'the chick', who is fought over by two guard guys, then 2 corps members, then 2 guard guys again, and finally ends up with 'peter pan'.

W.T.F. Crown.

This is the perfect example of a very talented corps being wasted for the pursuit of GE.

I think the ending is the worst part too - I enjoy P.O.L. but it has no place being in this show. Can anyone explain to me why it is there? And yes I know this is their Sec2nd Chance show and that it harkens back to 09, but it just doesn't fit. They're trying to ram a nonexistent storyline down our throats and it's getting in the way of some beautiful drum corpsing.

I love their sound, love the body, love the drill, love the guard - hate the emphasis on the characters (and you know that when the DVDs come out it's going to be chalk full of closeups of them)

[/end rant]

You are acting like their performance levels have dropped since the beginning of the season.

They have only gotten better, and have simply added a layer of "theme" on top of their beautiful musical and visual program.

If you did not know the theme, would you even notice what the guard are doing?... I know I wouldn't. It baffles me that some people watch a drum corps show and spend the whole time trying to figure out what's going on instead of actually enjoying amazing spectacle of the performance.

I'm wondering what happened to people just watching and enjoying a show. Why does everything have to have a "story" now? They play great music, do great drill and visuals, and other stuff I can't think of because I'm packing for Indy.

instead of actually enjoying amazing spectacle of the performance.

Thank you GE sheets and scores. This is the crux of 90% of the arguing that goes on on this board. That's what many want to do and feel isn't being done anymore in DCI.

You are acting like their performance levels have dropped since the beginning of the season.

They have only gotten better, and have simply added a layer of "theme" on top of their beautiful musical and visual program.

If you did not know the theme, would you even notice what the guard are doing?... I know I wouldn't. It baffles me that some people watch a drum corps show and spend the whole time trying to figure out what's going on instead of actually enjoying amazing spectacle of the performance.

Their performance levels haven't dropped per se, but they have slowed down compared to other corps at the top. I feel all the changes were a distraction and took time away from improving their performance captions

It baffles me that some people watch a drum corps show and spend the whole time trying to figure out what's going on instead of actually enjoying amazing spectacle of the performance.

I understand your point . . .but what about those that have seen a show eight, ten, fifteen times?

In a way, the bloom is off the rose, and you start to look at things besides the overall impact (which, I agree, should be what you try to take in and enjoy, especially on a first read) and try to figure out where the weak and strong points are. I liken it to a business proposal that you might constantly tweak, and re-evaluate over the course of the project, even after implementation.

Analysis of these shows . . .even by armchair quarterbacks like ourselves . . .provides a jumping off point for ambivalent folks to re-evaluate a show and possibly grow to like it, homers to see that their team isn't always invincible . . . and gives us all something to talk about in the off-season. :tongue: