DCI story on CNN.com

True.

But the music needs to be more appealing if the fan base is to grow.

And that's fine. I think drum corps is certainly cyclical. I remember these same conversations happening around 2002 with Frameworks, and it made a fan friendlier swing.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd think you'd have a hard time getting 18-22 year olds of now to march a 70's (whatever decade) style show and enjoy it

I'm not talking take it all the way back to that style. I'm just saying, stop messing with something that people already like/love.

When you put it this way, and if we're relating it to Mr. Hopkins, take into consideration that the guy absolutely LOVES Starbucks both as a coffee and as a company. Now, Starbucks essentially has already done to the cute coffee shop institution that Hopkins would like to do to drum corps. Starbucks took the simple idea of serving good coffee and turned it into what it is today...frappucinos, mp3's, smoothies...just a host of things that really aren't the norm in a 'coffee shop' and have ultimately tarnished the brand. Every time they introduce something new, they get further and further away from what they really are. A coffee shop. Even though it is still successful, it is pretty much a joke in the industry. However, like a phoenix, the backlash of Starbucks and their shenanigans is the rise of the indie coffee shop and the small batch roaster. Those two things would probably not exist if Starbucks didn't turn itself into a glutenous corporate monstrosity.

So, I guess what I'm saying is if it does happen...this G7, woodwind, et al shenanigans...well...maybe it's a good thing and, once it happens, the little guys will finally have some breathing room to do something better??

Maybe.

Does this even make sense?

However, isn't Starbucks the most popular coffee shop thing? Aren't we all talking about popularity?

When you put it this way, and if we're relating it to Mr. Hopkins, take into consideration that the guy absolutely LOVES Starbucks both as a coffee and as a company. Now, Starbucks essentially has already done to the cute coffee shop institution that Hopkins would like to do to drum corps. Starbucks took the simple idea of serving good coffee and turned it into what it is today...frappucinos, mp3's, smoothies...just a host of things that really aren't the norm in a 'coffee shop' and have ultimately tarnished the brand. Every time they introduce something new, they get further and further away from what they really are. A coffee shop. Even though it is still successful, it is pretty much a joke in the industry. However, like a phoenix, the backlash of Starbucks and their shenanigans is the rise of the indie coffee shop and the small batch roaster. Those two things would probably not exist if Starbucks didn't turn itself into a glutenous corporate monstrosity.

So, I guess what I'm saying is if it does happen...this G7, woodwind, et al shenanigans...well...maybe it's a good thing and, once it happens, the little guys will finally have some breathing room to do something better??

Maybe.

Does this even make sense?

of course it makes sense. It is EXACTLY what happened in 1972 that led to the birth of DCI.

A group of corps got fed up with the way the VFW ran corps competitions and they broke off and started DCI.

It amazes me that DCI cant see that they have now become the VFW and history is on the verge of repeating itself.

I have to completely agree with this. Some of the biggest drum corps fans I know are woodwind players and the lack of woodwinds on the field doesn't seem to bother them. I have seen woodwind march brass, guard, in the pit, and as drum major. If they want to march drum corps and already have a musical background the jump is not that incredibly difficult to make with a little practice.

As such, I don't see adding woodwinds as expanding the fan base that much. It would, however, cause many current fans to leave the activity. I just don't see what this can add.

AMEN! I AGREE COMPLETELYWITH THIS.

Wow, DCI has been around since 1972 and it takes some drama for it to make CNN?

The secret's out now. All this G7 stuff was just staged to generate publicity and break into the mainstream media. Mission accomplished!

So it's true, then....this G7 plan can reach a "new audience".

I'd think you'd have a hard time getting 18-22 year olds of now to march a 70's (whatever decade) style show and enjoy it

I have to disagree. I had the opportunity a year ago to spend time teaching a show-style marching band here in the Dallas area. One thing that struck me the most was, if I were to turn my back and just listen to the music, and not notice the marching style or drill team/dancers instead of a color guard, it sounded remarkably like 1970s drum corps in terms of arranging style. Visually there are a lot of differences but it's got that same vibe about it--and this style is massively popular at least in the southern half of the country.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT TO SAY THAT DRUM CORPS SHOULD DO THIS STYLE OF SHOW. My point is simply that the activity is what you make of it. If corps are going to do shows that push more into that old-school vein, it's the activity being what it is that will attract participants. It is, to again steal a phrase from a friend of mine, the thrash-punk division of the classical world, or at least it's supposed to be. Members enjoy corps because they want to march corps, not necessarily because it's some sort of ultra-cutting-edge super-artistic endeavor or anything like that. My friends and I that were rookies together saw being in drum corps as being one of the best and hardest-working, and that has nothing to do with show style.

The one thing I disagree with is getting rid of electronics. I don't think they should be taken away completely, but I think how they're implemented into the show needs to change drastically. Right now, you're right - they're just being used to boost bass parts and duplicate other parts, and they don't really add anything interesting to the show. I would like it if people started using electronics in a manner similar to which the Bluecoats are doing. Take the baritone solo, for instance - it's played into a mic that doesn't just make it louder - it adds a unique and interesting effect that couldn't be done acoustically.

Good points.

I don't see the need for miked brass just for the sake of miking a brass solo... but that Bluecoats thing was different. Like you say, it created a new effect. I liked it.

The Cavaliers' "trio into the microphone thing" I didn't get at all. The players were already up front... why not just turn the horns toward the audience and play, like soloists have been doing since...well.... forever?