Why I didn't go last night

I read all the cr...."items" posted here about how this corps is boring, blah, blah, blah. I would never let this planet sway me one way or the other. I pay the money and decide for myself.

And let me tell you - I am #### glad I spent the money! Regardless of the wide gap between BD and the rest of the pack, (and what will be an anticlimactic announcement of the top spot ONLY), this year is really an incredible year for the performances on the field. I don't care if you like each corps show musically or not, these kids, from the bottom scoring corps to the top, are doing a great job of performing the shows they have. And the corps in the top 12 are clearly executing at an incredible level!

And you know what - for all those who come on here and say they don't like this or that, let me say this - there is not ONE show that I did not like!! Not one!!!!! I didn't connect with the music of each, but that does not mean I don't enjoy it, and have a great deal of respect for what they are doing.

I am VERY glad I went to the theater last night, and wish more now than before, that I could have gotten to the oil can to see it live!!

Thanks for letting me post my opinion, and good luck to all the rest of the week!

Mike

Spartans '87

The Foundation Year

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets see, I've traveled to several shows this summer...bought the FN subscription...bought Corps' T-Shirt and hat...paid for the media subscription...and attended the Theater viewings. And it was worth...every...single...cent...

Everyone has a decision on how to spend their time and money...but for me, I thought this summer has been amazing. I've been watching drum corps since '76 and its never ceased to amaze me.

now, back to the Open Class Semi's on the FN.

Cali.

While I mentioned the reviews and opinions expressed here on DCP it also from last year. It was hard to remember much of the music lst year. Alot of corps didn't leave an expression. My daughter "Liked it" but wasn't "when is the drum corps thing coming on again" which hurts because before I marched I would check the TV guide in the supermarkets every week for 2 months just so I wouldn't miss the Telecast on PBS.

I'm not giving up on the activity yet. I don't like the direction but I'm still living with the hope that people realize that sometimes, less is more and the new thing isn't always the best thing.

Not sure my connection will handle the fan network. I'm going to try it Saturday for the finale FREE webcast so I can decide whether or not to buy next year. Thanks for the $0.02 though.

Well, after trying to watch the live retreat feed tonight I have made up my mind regarding the FAN network for next season. I was able to see a couple of frames then it would say "the video you are trying to watch is currently unavailable; please try again later"...so I would reload and be able to see a couple more frames. and so on...

I won't pay the money for the FAN network just to see a frame at a time.

Usually this is the only time I get to see the corps all year. My daughter and I go and my son and I before that. This year I really wasn't looking forward to it. I've been reading all year how XX corps is dull, this show is boring, Drum Corps has died, etc, etc.

I didn't want to see 12-13 corps that would ruin the activity for me. I grew up watching the shows of the 80's and early 90's and that is my drum corps. I'm not saying one is better then the other but thats what I like.

Lets put it this way, I didn't want to look behind the curtain because I don't want to see what the wizard looks like. I know things change but right now, from what I read its not close (with the few exceptions) of what I would spend my money on. And its a shame. I really look forward to spending time with my kids talking about something that I did back in the day. But when you see a show today its nothing close.

Maybe next year when more corps follow what Madison did (8 position jump) and go back to thier roots I'll go watch a show. Until then I'll keep my money in my pocket.

Just one man's opinion.................

And now we know.

How nice for you...and I guess us.

Well, after trying to watch the live retreat feed tonight I have made up my mind regarding the FAN network for next season. I was able to see a couple of frames then it would say "the video you are trying to watch is currently unavailable; please try again later"...so I would reload and be able to see a couple more frames. and so on...

I won't pay the money for the FAN network just to see a frame at a time.

You have a full season of people getting flawless video from all of the live shows, and you're not going to listen to that and instead base your decision on DCI's website getting slammed?

Your loss.

I'm somewhat with you now, OP.

I don't consider myself old at all (31). I've been going to world class semis and finals since 02 (sans 03), seeing a couple shows a year, and buying fan network subscriptions. After the last couple days, I have the feeling that my interest will soon wan. I don't want to be "that guy," but it looks like I'm getting there. I've always taken the approach of "either a specific corps entertains me or it doesn't, and that's cool." Fewer and fewer corps are falling in the "entertaining" category for me. And for the record, I know that corps don't design shows for Kash Barker, but it always happened that I was entertained by the product in most cases. If the trend continues, it'll be hard for me to justify my investment in finals week (and I can't even justify it by seeing a different locale given the contract with Indy).

However, I'm not just saying this to you on DCP. I plan on crafting a letter to DCI, something I have never done. Somebody will read it, maybe nobody important, but maybe it'll be counted in the "dislike" pile. And maybe for my "dislike" letter, there will be 10 "like" letters, and that's okay. But it's worth letting the powers-that-be know your opinion. Sure, let us know your opinion (even though Lance will ridicule you for it, then let known his own opinions - good job, Forum Support Team member), but remember that we don't count in the grand scheme - let DCI know your opinion.

Emotionally, this FINALS set a new record for me. I teared up 4 times Saturday night.

1. Madison's "Rhapsody in Blue"

2. The beautiful tunnel exit by Phantom Regiment.

3. The end of Cadet's Toy Souldier, when Little Geoffrey pulls into a marching uniform.

4. The mellophone fall at the end of Crown's show.

"The Brady Bunch" no longer airs on Friday night prime time.

We no longer call the 1-800 number Sunday morning to get the Finals scores.

Embrace change. Welcome it with abandon.

Edited by DeanInChicago

I am also from the "old world" where late 70's early 80's style corps got me hooked on the activity. Over the years I have gone to a dozen or so finals through the 80's, 90's and 2000's. But I gotta say that last nights finals were perhaps the best exhibition of musical excellence and best overall top 12 that I have ever seen. Sure I wish we could eliminate the low end synth for volume purposes, but sometimes it is used very effectively.

I'm not a fan of LOS but think it was improved this year over last (though that may be because my seat was much better!).

I'm sorry the OP elected to not give these shows a chance, they were truly spectacular....

You have a full season of people getting flawless video from all of the live shows, and you're not going to listen to that and instead base your decision on DCI's website getting slammed?

Your loss.

Maybe, but I can live with that loss when I don't have the money to begin with. Anyway, how was everyone else's experience last night with the finale feed?