Star of Indiana--how did they do?

I'm glad you appreciated our performance Friday. Thank you. It meant a lot to all of us.

I'm sure we were louder this time due to playing on Bb/F instruments instead of G. :)

(i edited since the original word order came across as more than gentle teasing)

I wasn't there to see the show live and so far I've only seen Medea on You Tube. And it sounds awesome! I'm sure it was an incredible experience to be in front of a Drum Corps audience again. For those who have done a DCI Alumni performance, we know how much work and effort is involved and the fan appreciation will ring in your mind for a long time. Congratulations to the Star Alumni Corps :innocent:

As far as the volume, it just sounds to me like it is being played as a louder arrangement than 1993 and the fans noticed it with the standing O. Maybe it's the amount of horns? But as I remember it, and correct me if I'm wrong but musically the show was very reserved and only reached forte once. IMO, I didn't care for that and wished Star would have let it all hang out. To qualify that let me say that I was there in 1991 and 1992 and loved those shows. American Variations is one of my favorite patriotic musical pieces.

Regarding the horns, I think I agree with Rollo. I can only imagine how much more intense this would have sounded in G. But it really sounds great and as a comparison, says to me it is what they are playing these days that is different.

We played this arrangement as true to the original as possible on the Bb/F horns. Same dynamic approach and will tell you as a mellophone section we kept backing off more for the clarity and intonation to allow the passages to speak.

We did let it rip to our tolerance at end of Impending Doom (the intro to Medea) and at the end of Medea.

Glad you enjoyed it. I think the increased standing O was more because the fans enjoyed the performance and missed Star of Indiana but that is just my opinion. No matter what the reason was for the long ovation is was MUCH appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We played this arrangement as true to the original as possible on the Bb/F horns. Same dynamic approach and will tell you as a mellophone section we kept backing off more for the clarity and intonation to allow the passages to speak.

We did let it rip to our tolerance at end of Impending Doom (the intro to Medea) and at the end of Medea.

Glad you enjoyed it. I think the increased standing O was more because the fans enjoyed the performance and missed Star of Indiana but that is just my opinion. No matter what the reason was for the long ovation is was MUCH appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's no doubt ALL of the fans(even the nays), miss The Star of Indiana and wish they never would have gone away. And now that I've listened to some more of the offerings on the Tube, I must say that the talent in the horn line is incredible :innocent:

The star performance was the highlight of my drum corps career, even from side field, and sitting in the circle listening to the opening of Belshazaar is something that I will never forget. (of course, it helps that I knew almost half of the hornline on a personal basis.

From everyone inside that circle, thank you so much star alumni for sending the class of 2010 out with an unforgettable performance.

Than you so much, everyone, for the support and appreciation that has been shown toward the Star Alumni Corps.

As far as the volume, it just sounds to me like it is being played as a louder arrangement than 1993 and the fans noticed it with the standing O. Maybe it's the amount of horns? But as I remember it, and correct me if I'm wrong but musically the show was very reserved and only reached forte once.

There was nothing reserved about the '93 show. There was sarcastic dynamic contrast. The softs were amazingly soft and the louds were very loud. Control was the word that should be used. The original music music of Bartok and Barber itself speaks to the cerebral. It is not about volume. It is a reflections of the emotions and story of the original music. Medea's Dance of Vengeance is the most played piece of the show. It has been played by every iteration of Star (Jr Corps, Brass Theater, Blast, etc) and the arrangement has really changed since the original use (93).

Regarding the horns, I think I agree with Rollo. I can only imagine how much more intense this would have sounded in G. But it really sounds great and as a comparison, says to me it is what they are playing these days that is different.

As much as I know I will get flamed for this: I don't think this would have sounded any less or more loud on G bugles. I was a fan of the bugles then. But, the Star of Indiana sound is NOT determined by the instruments that the player performs on, but rather a unified approach to following the established technique. This was very accurately demonstrated by the Star Alumni performance and every year by Star United.

Certainly, if volume is proportional to mass it would explain an increase in volume...

I would guess that 110 horns helps :)