2010 Finals Booing?

I can see it now

Scene : Courtroom

And so Mr. DCI fan, you were removed from the stadium for booing ?

yes your honor, but I wasn't BOOING, I was BLOOING at the wrong time

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, just for the heck of it.....what if YOUR cheering and applause is offensive to me ? What if I think everyone should be quiet during a performance ( or scores) ? If you try to enforce moral beliefs ( such as not booing) you're gonna end up with the ACLU really screwing things up.

Unless the laws are changed, we can not legislate how people react to a performance. The ACLU would fight this tooth and nail.

I'm all for electric cattle prods, but I'm not King........yet

I support freedom of appreciation as much as freedom of unappreciation.

Nobody's "forcing" any beliefs. People are just pointing out the childish, temper tantrum cry-baby behavior of people who boo. Even my eight year old knows better than to show that much disrespect to performers in public (and honestly, he knew that in 07 when he was five and really didn't like Cadets at all).

Would you go to a symphony concert and boo their performance just because you didn't like their programming?

I did not Booo 02 Cadets, 05 Cadets, '10 BD, etc. But remember 99% are not booing the lids, they are booing the result. In a way, they are booing the judges

STOP BOOING ALL THOSE CORPS HATS, PEOPLE!

I would never boo a corps, but to say booing is classless? In September of 2009 at the first performance of Tosca, at the Met the crowd booed the director so loudly that the Met closed the curtain. So even the haute art goers boo.

Having said that, we are dealing with amateurs vs. professionals. Maybe each designer, director, judge, etc should be recognized after the performance so they can be booed.

Edited by mlubandgroupie

Could it possibly be that people were showing their appreciation for the live blogging?

I would never boo a corps, but to say booing is classless? In September of 2009 at the opening of Tosca, at the Met the crowd booed the director so loudly that the Met closed the curtain. So even the haute art goers boo.

Having said that, we are dealing with amateurs vs. professionals. Maybe each designer, director, judge, etc should be recognized after the performance so they can be booed.

And this is exactly the freaking point. If you want to boo the director of the Met, you're booing someone who is being paid a large sum of money to put on a show for you. In drum corps you are booing 150 young adults who sacrificed upwards of $3000, countless hours of practice, and their entire summer to try and entertain you. While I'm not one of those people that thinks every corps deserves a standing ovation, I think booing - for whatever reason, at whatever time - is completely out of place at a drum corps show.

I'm not saying you can't do it, but I will definitely think less of you for it. I wish I had been in the stands at finals so I could've confronted some of the boo-birds personally and asked them if they'd like to go down on the field and boo the members to their faces. You can say you're booing the design team, but that's not how it comes off, and the only people you're hurting are the members. Go on DCP, send an angry e-mail, just find some better avenue to express your displeasure.

Disclaimer: I didn't watch the feed from tonight's retreat.

Now, in 2006, if I remember correctly, the crowd boo'd Carolina Crown's placement/score. Here, in 2010, we have the crowd booing the Blue Devils (or I guess, The Cavaliers) placement/score.

Are these two events different, or are they equally "classless"? I ask because I don't remember people being up in arms about the 2006 situation, and also because, since I didn't see the live feed, I don't know if the booing began when Cavies were announced 2nd.

Legit questions... just curious as to some people's thoughts...

2010 DCI Drum Corps will clearly go down as " THE YEAR OF ANGRY AND MAD PEOPLE ", imo.

The top 3 placing Corps of BD, Cavs, Bluecoats all had an angry, mad, hostile and agressive angst vibe to them. The look on the guard was of of open anger and hostility, and agressiveness. ( whether warranted or not ) I don't think this is even debatable that this was the aura created in the overall emotion created on the part of the top 3 placing Corps.

This is more than symbolic. The G-7 off the field proposal was filled with divisiveness and open hostility generated from the top Corps to their colleague Corps.

The booing of the DCI winner demonstates that the Corps emotion transmitted to the audience came back to the Field Corps as well.

2010 finds the US as a Country that is angry and frustrated. DCP has has had more anger displayed this year than before( look at 2008 , by comparison)

DCI Corps " mirror " that anger mood .

The DCI Champion Blue Devils, Cavs ,Bluecoats all captured the mood of the country very well this year with their shows.

Edited by BRASSO