Is it ok to "boo"

To Boo or Not to Boo  

204 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it's acceptable to boo?

• Yes
    • No

I think that booing is inappropriate. I understand trying to communicate dissatisfaction with a hope to affect change. I'm sure those who say they are booing are directing it at the corps leadership. I understand, but in so doing you generate a great deal of collateral damage.

This is one case where I would encourage the disgruntled to opt for other means. Send a letter and begin it with, "I chose to not boo, even though I really wanted to, but I have something to say to you in this private correspondence..."

Whats you mailing address ?

< insert rimshot HERE>

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, its pretty split. that was surprising, but i agree, there's nothing wrong with anyone expressing their feelings in the form of a vocal. (IMO of course)

I'm with you. That's why when that fellow from South Carolina called out 'You lie.' in a totally different setting, I was loving it. Even in that setting, you betcha, it was great. Wish somebody had done it to the last fellow, too.

I may not agree with what you have to say, but I respect your right to say it. And you'd better respect my right to ridicule it.

I'm actually stunned by these results. I thought there was almost a consensus on this site that booing is not okay but I guess more people support it when they can anonymously vote and not publicly defend their opinion.

I'm actually stunned by these results. I thought there was almost a consensus on this site that booing is not okay but I guess more people support it when they can anonymously vote and not publicly defend their opinion.

Kinda like voting in an election. But that's the thing about booing...it's not anonymous when you're in the minority doing it.

Edited by Achilles

Kinda like voting in an election. But that's the thing about booing...it's not anonymous when you're in the minority doing it.

And just as when people take a political opinion I expect if you hold an opinion you should be able to defend it publicly. I see a lot of people on here saying why they believe booing is unacceptable but there is nowhere near equal representation for the pro-booing crowd.

When you're just some random face in a huge crowd booing it is pretty anonymous unless you yell MY NAME IS _____, A RESIDENT OF ______, AND I AM IMMATURELY JEERING A YOUNG, PERFORMANCE GROUP. Sure some people around you will see you and probably think less of you but many won't know who you are and the members on the field getting booed do not see who you are.

I suspect respondents are answering the question "Should it be permissible to boo" instead of "Should booing be accepted" or better yet "Is booing appropriate". I agree with you -- the recent consensus on DCP on this topic seemed to be that booing in not acceptable behavior from a drum corps audience. IMO the results from this poll are misleading.

No. For me, it's not just a matter of civility; it's about ineffective communication. Booing the corps on the field only sends a message that you're booing the corps on the field. There's no way for them, or anyone else, to "interpret" what those boos are supposed to mean, so in the end, all it does is make the booers feel better for about five seconds, and the booees feel bad for a lifetime.

If you don't like the show design, loathe the G7, whatever, fine. Nobody's infringing on your right to communicate. Write a letter or pick up the phone and take it up directly with the designers and administrators. Don't take it out on the performers who have no control over any of that.

I don't care what you think about a corps, or their program.

It is NOT, under ANY circumstances, OK to boo the efforts of hard working kids who have busted their ##### off all summer and paid out of their own pockets to entertain YOU.

EVER!!!!