So was the sound better in Indy this year?

You should move to the center. The 15 wouldn't be a good place to listen to Drum Corps from if you were in the world's most perfect Drum Corps stadium...

Yeah, seriously. I remember seeing 2004 Finals from way up top ~25-30 yard line in Mile High, and I could barely hear anything. While clearly the dome messes with what we're used to as far as stadium acoustics, I've never really enjoyed seeing a drum corps show sitting outside of the 40s because you really can't hear much unless the stadium's really small or the corps is on your side of the field.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, seriously. I remember seeing 2004 Finals from way up top ~25-30 yard line in Mile High, and I could barely hear anything. While clearly the dome messes with what we're used to as far as stadium acoustics, I've never really enjoyed seeing a drum corps show sitting outside of the 40s because you really can't hear much unless the stadium's really small or the corps is on your side of the field.

except there isnt an unlimited amount of seats available in the center.

Heard some interesting discussions about this at the stadium. There's some serious financial considerations with opening the roof. Apparently, opening/closing it costs about $10k each time.

I'm sorry but I think you got some bad information. I simply don't believe it could cost $10,000 just to open/close the roof. That's preposterous. If I'm wrong, I'll kiss a monkey on the lips.

I'm sorry but I think you got some bad information. I simply don't believe it could cost $10,000 just to open/close the roof. That's preposterous. If I'm wrong, I'll kiss a monkey on the lips.

I had the same reaction to that post... except I'm not risking kissing a monkey on the lips if I'm wrong. :sad:

It's possible it costs $10,000--or they charge a promoter $10,000--to cool the place down, in air conditioning costs, in that kind of hot humid weather, after they close the roof, assuming it's gotten real hot and humid inside. It's a stretch, in my mind, but possible.

Another possibility is that DCI has to pay $10,000 for workers to set up or remove the black curtains, because those can't be up when the roof is open due to the possibility of wind damage.

But $10,000 just in labor and utility costs for moving the roof, one way? That doesn't make sense. There were some stupid design decisions and compromises to get this dome built, but if they designed a roof that costs ten grand to either open or close, never mind the HVAC costs to reset the temperature, that would be beyond stupid.

Edited by Peel Paint

Compared to last year, the sound was better. Comparing the three nights, when they added the large back and endzone drapes, the sound improved dramatically!

I actually have come to enjoy hearing the last note after a cut-off reverberated around the stadium for 3 seconds or so.

What I do miss is the bass drums. They are just muddy.

I don't know the sound difference from the stands, but the sound from Stars Wednesday dress rehearsal to Fridays show was very different to me. At rehearsal they were beginning to cover the seats and the drapes were not up. Sound was clearer wednesday than friday...my opinion.

Compared to last year, the sound was better. Comparing the three nights, when they added the large back and endzone drapes, the sound improved dramatically!

I actually have come to enjoy hearing the last note after a cut-off reverberated around the stadium for 3 seconds or so.

What I do miss is the bass drums. They are just muddy.

In addition to the drapes, a whole lot of bodies were added Friday night....just sayin'.

This topic is a sore spot with me. I've been to finals in Indy the last two years and the "sound" in the cavern called the Lucas Oil Stadium is abysmal at best. Whether or not it was slightly better this year than last, or slightly better in some seating sections than others, the fact remains, the reverberation and lack of sound quality definitely detracts from this fan's enjoyment of the show. Also, I question whether opening the roof would improve the sound given the walls and enclosed nature of the stadium. Three years ago at the finals in Bloomington, the sound was great, as it is at all outdoor shows I have attended. I understand DCI may prefer to have finals at Lucas Oil for financial reasons, weather related reasons (no rainouts in the dome), air conditioned comfort, etc. Also, it seems to me, attendance at the finals event this year was good, so changing venues in the near future is unlikely. Nevertheless, I lament the lack of sound quality at finals. Am I in the minority, or do the rest of you fans feel the same way?

This topic is a sore spot with me. I've been to finals in Indy the last two years and the "sound" in the cavern called the Lucas Oil Stadium is abysmal at best. Whether or not it was slightly better this year than last, or slightly better in some seating sections than others, the fact remains, the reverberation and lack of sound quality definitely detracts from this fan's enjoyment of the show. Also, I question whether opening the roof would improve the sound given the walls and enclosed nature of the stadium. Three years ago at the finals in Bloomington, the sound was great, as it is at all outdoor shows I have attended. I understand DCI may prefer to have finals at Lucas Oil for financial reasons, weather related reasons (no rainouts in the dome), air conditioned comfort, etc. Also, it seems to me, attendance at the finals event this year was good, so changing venues in the near future is unlikely. Nevertheless, I lament the lack of sound quality at finals. Am I in the minority, or do the rest of you fans feel the same way?

Isn't this like spitting into the wind?

Indy is the new home for Drum Corps finals except for 2014. That year, I venture DCI will go west...probably way west for finals. Other than that, Indy is where finals are going to be. So complain as we might about the sound (by the way...Indy is way better than SA or ATL) Indy is the home for DCI finals.

Oh, wait...this is drumcorpsplanet. Take back everything I just said and excuse me. Please rant on.

I was hugely disappointed with the sound last year - no so much this year - possibly due to more realistic expectations. I was in Section 139 for the first two nights. Sound was perfectly fine for me there and I think better than last year. I was in Section 540 for finals and found everything to sound a bit muted - not as much echo as I expected or remember from up high last year. I was in Section 240 (where I sat for World Class most of last year) for Open Class semis and it was better than I remember from last year - but the worst of the locations this year as well.