Whar was with all the groups only marching 4 bass drums at finals?

I can understand injuries happen during the season but I can only remember a handful of corps that ever lost a bass drum during the season and marched finals night with 4. The last one I can remember was Bluecoats a few years ago. ('05 or '06) Last night there were 3 that were down a bass drummer. (Glassmen, SCV, and Cadets)

Coincidence or not, 2 of those corps marched Pete Weber drill and the third is simply the Cadets. Was the drill this season more demanding on the body that it has ever been before?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cadets lost bass drum 3 fairly early on if I am not mistaken. SCV lost drum 5 right after Atlanta? GMen lost drum 1 Tuesday of finals week. Regiment went like two or three straight years there a while back where they lost one. Every year it seems we see a line lose a tenor or two. It is a long grind - maybe should share your secrets?

MIKE

I didn't really notice. As a former drummer I always thought that 4 bass were more efficient than 5, but most perc instructors usually shoot at me when I say things like that. :smile:

It seems like for so many years now, corps play around with all voices in the corps, and add and subtract here and there all over in a seemingly futile attempt to have strength here and there year to year. Timpani and Cymbal lines have sadly suffered the worst, and I agree that bass drum lines have also taken a hit (no pun intended!) Timpani were just too difficult to carry and keep tuned appropriately, so that was understandable. But cymbal lines going still kind of stings a little as they disappear. French horns just went away. Tuba/contra lines have benefited, as have bari lines and maybe a few trumpet lines. Just my opinion - no offense intended - but 20+ tubas? Really? Is that absolutely necessary? Maybe as each year comes and goes, shows will either have a need to or will choose to add or subtract from whatever voice on the field (not in the pit) to accommodate the needs of the show music.

A good bass drum line is cumulatively hands down THE most difficult instrument to make work, in that the splitting of individual measures between players and the complicated riff's and runs really takes the absolute breakdown of notes critical, and the players have to really have it all together. The top two bass drummers are frequently playing the same rudiments snare and tenor drummers are much of the time, but I get the feeling that most drum line instructors aren't working in the lowest bass drum voices anymore, so therefore they have been "downsized."

two cents. :smile:

SCV Bass 5 had a season ending foot fracture prior to Atlanta.

959072762_BbZow-S.jpg

but I get the feeling that most drum line instructors aren't working in the lowest bass drum voices anymore, so therefore they have been "downsized."

No, all three drumlines who marched 4 basses in finals originally marched 5 and wrote for 5. Injuries cut them down to 4 and there was not time in the season to fill those spots (esp tough for Cadets - losing drum 3 sucks)

Interesting points in your post though.

MIKE

Edited by mikekhs

No, all three drumlines who marched 4 basses in finals originally marched 5 and wrote for 5. Injuries cut them down to 4 and there was not time in the season to fill those spots (esp tough for Cadets - losing drum 3 sucks)

Interesting points in your lost though.

MIKE

Wow... :smile: ... not good. That, then, presents a challenge for drill writers to perhaps calm it down a little on the expectations of movement for the bigger instruments doing the running, crabbing and crossover steps, etc etc.

Since my knees have suffered in the recent years... largely due to other activities outside of drum corps as well... I can only imagine what long term/on going strains and injuries may come about for those musicians carrying the biggest instruments.

And thanks BTW... I know you meant "post" not "lost" :doh:

Wow... :smile: ... not good. That, then, presents a challenge for drill writers to perhaps calm it down a little on the expectations of movement for the bigger instruments doing the running, crabbing and crossover steps, etc etc.

Since my knees have suffered in the recent years... largely due to other activities outside of drum corps as well... I can only imagine what long term/on going strains and injuries may come about for those musicians carrying the biggest instruments.

I think it's just coincidence the injuries seemed to strike the battery this season. I didn't notice any unusual new levels of demand being placed on the drum line this year.

Cavies lost tenor finals week as well.

...and Crown lost 2 snares in July as well. I know one was an injury.

Does anyone know the story on SCV only having three marimbas? Injury there?

MIKE