Whar was with all the groups only marching 4 bass drums at finals?

In my day "TYMPS" were CARRIED!!!! using snare slings and legrests No pit back then if you played it you CARRIED IT!!!!!!!!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And how much was a gallon of gas? Just kidding.

MIKE

In my day "TYMPS" were CARRIED!!!! using snare slings and legrests No pit back then if you played it you CARRIED IT!!!!!!!!

Thanks for that fact. Now what does that have to do with anything?

. . . and how many miles did you have to walk through the snow to get to school? :thumbup:

Back when men were men and sheep were nervous, right? And you left out that all shows were marched UPhill in the snow every year, too.

:thumbup:

Funny thing about back then... I remember I brought a snare stand to practice once to put the snare drum on while practicing. Man, I was almost kicked out of the corps for even THINKING that was acceptable back then... seriously. And NOW days... when drumlines are just playing and not marching the music... :thumbup:

I had the idea first. Too bad only I know that. :thumbup:

The Blue Devils SHOULD HAVE lost a bass drummer on finals night back in 2000. I always wondered what happened to that kid when they finished performing that night.

Legend has it that the other drumline members essentially ripped his uniform off his body after they came off the field and beat the bejeezus out of him. I cannot confirm the accuracy of this account, but I did hear it from one who marched in another finalist bass line that night.

For anyone not familiar with the story, it's my understanding that a bass drummer was arrested for shoplifting the morning of finals (they had a free morning much like we did at SCV back in the day). After being released later in the day he somehow got himself to finals, snuck his uniform and drum off the truck, and ran onto the field just as they were starting their show and it was too late to do anything about it. This could be one of the most notorious acts in drums corps history and if anyone has a more accurate account I'm all ears (or eyes in this case)!!!

The Blue Devils did march 4 in 93 if I recall correctly. I think that was an ongoing battle that whole summer.

Also, the Cadets have lost tenor players during numerous summers.

MIKE

Wow... :sad: ... not good. That, then, presents a challenge for drill writers to perhaps calm it down a little on the expectations of movement for the bigger instruments doing the running, crabbing and crossover steps, etc etc.

uno_motorcycle_segway.jpg