Whar was with all the groups only marching 4 bass drums at finals?

Legend has it that the other drumline members essentially ripped his uniform off his body after they came off the field and beat the bejeezus out of him. I cannot confirm the accuracy of this account, but I did hear it from one who marched in another finalist bass line that night.

For anyone not familiar with the story, it's my understanding that a bass drummer was arrested for shoplifting the morning of finals (they had a free morning much like we did at SCV back in the day). After being released later in the day he somehow got himself to finals, snuck his uniform and drum off the truck, and ran onto the field just as they were starting their show and it was too late to do anything about it. This could be one of the most notorious acts in drums corps history and if anyone has a more accurate account I'm all ears (or eyes in this case)!!!

Not 100% certain, but I'm PRETTY sure that this is urban legend.

Edited by BigBadMadMan

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was drugs.....but hey, that's how the telephone game is played.

Not 100% certain, but I'm PRETTY sure that this is urban legend.

which would make it an awesome urban legend...

i'm pretty sure every drumline member in northern CA has heard that story..."legend" has it he ran on the field as they were starting, and ran back off when as soon as the show was done...

"legend" has it he ran on the field as they were starting, and ran back off when as soon as the show was done...

2000 in Maryland. That did in fact happen.

MIKE

thought so... what i was told is that the rest of the bassline had also spent the whole night before re-working the book for 4 ppl

what i was told is that the rest of the bassline had also spent the whole night before re-working the book for 4 ppl

Also true.

When dude ran out at the last minute, I just assumed they had broken a head and made a quick switch.

AND THEN, the stories started...

MIKE

watching a video of their warmup that night right now on youtube...the story is in the comments section...lol

If I recall correctly, last year wasn't pretty either. Crown seemed to have drumline holes here and there all season long until finals week, when I guess everyone sucked it up. I'm pretty sure Hoppy blogged about needing a new bass drummer in June of last year too.

BD marched 5 basses in 93. They marched 4 in 88.

I think it's just coincidence the injuries seemed to strike the battery this season. I didn't notice any unusual new levels of demand being placed on the drum line this year.

Is that a pic of the incident?

No just showing 4 in Atlanta.

Michael Boo's might be to blame however. :sad: