Random DCA brainstorm thought

Who said DCA has to support a touring model? It isn't DCI that supports that touring model it is the DCI Corps themselves that raise the money to tour, not DCI.

Geez Jeff, for a guy who hates Santa Claus, now you're worried about the kids? Or rather the "magnificent human beings" that are all college music majors. Perhaps if it were open to more "kids" it would work perfectly.

That "massive infusion of cash and office staff" would be the DCI model of over spending that has caused much of the chaos they suffer from. DCA doesn't have those same problems. They operate on a much tighter budget. The officers in DCA are paid a mere pitence compared to the officers in DCI. Coexistence is much more then possible considering it would be to the benefit of both organization.

Mike.....kids want to tour. going weekend only is going to chase kids away from marching...then those corps are dead with no kids.

and no one said the dci model for "office" would be the model to do so. But if you wish to incorporate all of these extra corps, it's going to take more than running the circuit out of someone';s basement.

DCA has more than it's own fair share of issues right now. How about we let DCA focus on DCA. if show sponsors want to include junior corps in their shows. more power to them. but DCA does not need to get in the business of trying trying to run all age and junior corps too.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike.....kids want to tour. going weekend only is going to chase kids away from marching...then those corps are dead with no kids.

Then if the Corps they belong to can tour, let them. What is the big deal. There are Corps in DCA that travel out of their regions to perform at distant shows. DCA doesn't make any determination as to whether they can or can't. If the DCA Corps can affort it, go for it.

and no one said the dci model for "office" would be the model to do so. But if you wish to incorporate all of these extra corps, it's going to take more than running the circuit out of someone';s basement.

No, what WAS said was, "the two models are not set up to coexist under one umbrella without a massive infusion of cash and office staff". And my response to that was, "That "massive infusion of cash and office staff" would be the DCI model of over spending that has caused much of the chaos they suffer from. DCA doesn't have those same problems. They operate on a much tighter budget. The officers in DCA are paid a mere pitence compared to the officers in DCI. Coexistence is much more then possible considering it would be to the benefit of both organization." While no one is expecting this to be run out of someone's basement, it doesn't need all of the extravagance that DCI has burdened itself with.

DCA has more than it's own fair share of issues right now. How about we let DCA focus on DCA. if show sponsors want to include junior corps in their shows. more power to them. but DCA does not need to get in the business of trying trying to run all age and junior corps too.

Once again Jeff, I've said right along that it would have to be DCI and/or its member non g7 Corps that would have to approach DCA not vise versa. And again, I've stated that this is moot. And not sure when it happened but are you speaking as a member of the DCA board because it sure sounds like it.

i'm not a member of the DCA Board Mike. I'm a realist. Yeah I have some insights on how both sides operate, and an understanding of what makes each circuit tick.

sure the officers make a small amount if any at all. but you also have to factor in the costs of setting up judging in more areas, training, marketing, championships options etc. Think that money will grow from trees?

really the best thing the two circuits can keep doing is get along like they have, and be ok with corps from both circuits appearing at each others shows if it makes financial sense to the show host.

because, to be honest, one thing I think DCI does better is you have one set price for running a DCI show, as opposed to negotiating seperately with each corps one on one. I know one recent DCA show host that switched to DCI because IT WAS LESS EXPENSIVE the DCI way.

as for as corps touring.....Mike...this is the part you don't get, or do not want to get.

if their memberships say "no we want to stay as is", it's a moot point. Why do kids leave Surf or OC corps to go march WC corps? they want to do the full tour.

what corps director in his right mind is going to say "we'll just switch to DCA junior" knowing full well they won't get kids to march?

oh and btw, having seen every corps in Indy this past weekend, in both classes, there are for more "kids" out there who arent college aged music majors than you wish to believe. I know you hate DCI, and that's fine, I have my issues with them too on multiple topics. <edit>

Edited by Danielle

as for as corps touring.....Mike...this is the part you don't get, or do not want to get.

No Jeff, the part YOU don't get is that there is NO rule in DCA that says that a Corps can NOT tour if they so wish. It's has been done on many an occasion.

if their memberships say "no we want to stay as is", it's a moot point. Why do kids leave Surf or OC corps to go march WC corps? they want to do the full tour.

what corps director in his right mind is going to say "we'll just switch to DCA junior" knowing full well they won't get kids to march?

See above.

<post edited>

Edited by Danielle

What shows are they going to tour to? DCA can't afford to pay or sponsor nightly shows, pay judges, etc. What tour is it you speak of that they can do if they wish?????

of course Mike you're always right. but hey keep making false stereotypes. it's not arrogance Mike, it's factual knowledge.

there's a difference.

No Jeff, the part YOU don't get is that there is NO rule in DCA that says that a Corps can NOT tour if they so wish. It's has been done on many an occasion.

See above.

Edited by Danielle

What shows are they going to tour to? DCA can't afford to pay or sponsor nightly shows, pay judges, etc. What tour is it you speak of that they can do if they wish?????

don't try to use logic. I noticed one other thing I pointed out was totally ignored.

that a recent DCA sponsor swithced to a DCI show, because it cost LESS to do it that way.

for all the bashing DCI gets on cost, this should be an eye opener

i'm not a member of the DCA Board Mike. I'm a realist. Yeah I have some insights on how both sides operate, and an understanding of what makes each circuit tick.

sure the officers make a small amount if any at all. but you also have to factor in the costs of setting up judging in more areas, training, marketing, championships options etc. Think that money will grow from trees?

really the best thing the two circuits can keep doing is get along like they have, and be ok with corps from both circuits appearing at each others shows if it makes financial sense to the show host.

because, to be honest, one thing I think DCI does better is you have one set price for running a DCI show, as opposed to negotiating seperately with each corps one on one. I know one recent DCA show host that switched to DCI because IT WAS LESS EXPENSIVE the DCI way.

oh and btw, having seen every corps in Indy this past weekend, in both classes, there are for more "kids" out there who arent college aged music majors than you wish to believe. I know you hate DCI, and that's fine, I have my issues with them too on multiple topics. But please, don't stereotype so blindly, you make yourself look bad and uneducated.

OC can't support themselves if DCI says see ya, the money just isn't there. So given the choice, if the director said to their corps, we can either do the weekend only thing or fold the corps, I think a lot of the kids would say, lets do the weekend only thing.

i'm not so sure on that, based on the survey DCI released back around early June of questions asked to the members.

the tour and the experience, even at the OC level is a big draw. it's one of the few, IMO, good marketing plans DCI has implemented.

OC can't support themselves if DCI says see ya, the money just isn't there. So given the choice, if the director said to their corps, we can either do the weekend only thing or fold the corps, I think a lot of the kids would say, lets do the weekend only thing.

i'm not so sure on that, based on the survey DCI released back around early June of questions asked to the members.

the tour and the experience, even at the OC level is a big draw. it's one of the few, IMO, good marketing plans DCI has implemented.

So having your corps fold and sitting at home all summer would be better? Besides, there are corps that still don't do a full tour, Gold, Impulse, Thunder just to name a few. Those members seem fine with it.