Random DCA brainstorm thought

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the traditions of drum corps? As we see them? Or as they see them?

It's an open can of worms folks. Look at the DCA isn't dead thread. There are some posters in there who think that what DCA corps are out there doing today aren't really up to to the true traditions of drum corps.....

There will always be situations where people will disagree on just about anything. Depending on which viewpoint puts more people in the stands is what actually determines which serves the greater good. There are those of us who have set the traditions of Drum Corps and have tried to carry on those traditions as best we could. And there are those who wish to set their own agendas by trying to establish their own traditions. Why raise this issue? It is about economics. I think tha trying to merge this thread with the other thread is a bit much and really doesn't serve the purpose of this thread.

But it is more than just what puts people in the stands. If you are considering adding DCI to the DCA mix, it's also about those members too.

I'm sure that if DCA was approached by those non g7 Corps or DCI something could/would be worked out. And on that note, knowing DCA as I do, they will not be the ones to initiate any discussions regarding a merger or absorption of any DCI Corps.

problem...kids want to tour. DCA is not set up to support a touring model. corps will not want to lose kids.

the two models are not set up to coexist under one umbrella without a massive infusion of cash and office staff

problem...kids want to tour. DCA is not set up to support a touring model. corps will not want to lose kids.

Who said DCA has to support a touring model? It isn't DCI that supports that touring model it is the DCI Corps themselves that raise the money to tour, not DCI.

Geez Jeff, for a guy who hates Santa Claus, now you're worried about the kids? Or rather the "magnificent human beings" that are all college music majors. Perhaps if it were open to more "kids" it would work perfectly.

the two models are not set up to coexist under one umbrella without a massive infusion of cash and office staff

That "massive infusion of cash and office staff" would be the DCI model of over spending that has caused much of the chaos they suffer from. DCA doesn't have those same problems. They operate on a much tighter budget. The officers in DCA are paid a mere pitence compared to the officers in DCI. Coexistence is much more then possible considering it would be to the benefit of both organization.

But it is more than just what puts people in the stands. If you are considering adding DCI to the DCA mix, it's also about those members too.

Sorry Liz, I don't really understand what you are trying to say. Could you please be a bit more specific?

You said:

Depending on which viewpoint puts more people in the stands is what actually determines which serves the greater good.

I responded:

DCI members chose to participate in DCI corps for a reason. For what that experience offers them. The touring, the breakneck drill, the acrobatic color guard, etc. Many probably had the choice of going to a DCA corps and they preferred going to a DCI corps. Now tell them that despite what they really want to do they are doing their second choice instead. Many may chose to leave. What puts butts into the seats at DCA and DCI are two different beasts. To me it isn't what determines the greater good. The participants do. They are the ones who keep the corps surviving just as much as audience members do. If it was the audience that determined it wouldn't Sky and the like still be around? No, because the members chose to go elsewhere.

Great Idea....but my sources ( fairly reliable) tell me G7 isn't gonna happen anytime soon. Let's just say some of the supporters have lost their muster to go through with it after all the attention it has received.

You said:

Depending on which viewpoint puts more people in the stands is what actually determines which serves the greater good.

I responded:

DCI members chose to participate in DCI corps for a reason. For what that experience offers them. The touring, the breakneck drill, the acrobatic color guard, etc. Many probably had the choice of going to a DCA corps and they preferred going to a DCI corps. Now tell them that despite what they really want to do they are doing their second choice instead. Many may chose to leave. What puts butts into the seats at DCA and DCI are two different beasts. To me it isn't what determines the greater good. The participants do. They are the ones who keep the corps surviving just as much as audience members do. If it was the audience that determined it wouldn't Sky and the like still be around? No, because the members chose to go elsewhere.

Oh, okay. Thanks for the clarification. The synergistics of both the participants and the audience naturally is important. But the delusions of Hopkins (and those who blindly follow him) is what has caused there to be fewer Corps for "kids" & "music majors" alike to participate in. There are fewer places for them to chose from, unlike the situations that caused Corps like the New York Skyliners to fold. That as just total mismanagement by those who were in power (and still are). It is fiscal solvency that will determine whether or not a Corps will survive. And the use of electronics in all its forms as in use by DCI Corps most certainly is not helping matters. It was stated (by me and others many years ago on RAMD) that Hopkins will not be satified until the only Drum Corps (or as he refers to Drum Corps as Marching Band) left standing is the Cadets and this g7 BS is just another step in that direction. For a guy who caused the Cadets to go belly up not once, not twice but three (3) times he's taking the activity in that direction again. And again, I reiterate, it will have to be DCI and/or its member Corps (other then g7 Corps) that will have to make the overture to DCA because I seriously doubt that DCA will approach DCI. So, that being said, this entire discussion (which I have enjoyed immensely) may all be moot. But I STILL think the ideas/concepts/thoughts on this subject would be in the best interest of both DCA & DCI AND the entire Drum Corps activity in general.

Edited by NYSkyliner

Great Idea....but my sources ( fairly reliable) tell me G7 isn't gonna happen anytime soon. Let's just say some of the supporters have lost their muster to go through with it after all the attention it has received.

Hi Ken,

Guess the latest overture by Hopkins and kin to DCI has fallen on deaf ears. As far as I'm concerned it couldn't have happened to a better bunch of people. :smile:

On another note looking forward to seeing you, Chris (both Nalls & Clavejo), Greg, Tiffany and everybody else in a couple of weeks in Ra-cha-cha.