Random DCA brainstorm thought

So having your corps fold and sitting at home all summer would be better? Besides, there are corps that still don't do a full tour, Gold, Impulse, Thunder just to name a few. Those members seem fine with it.

and how many of them that aren't doing any kind of tour would be? quite honestly, if the membership doesnt want to do it, what are ya gonna do? hold a gun to their heads and say "you must do this!"??????

sorry, but nothing pointed out in this thread shows any logic in trying to merge the two together.

they are different beasts, and should remain as such. I think you'd get people from both circuits intimately involved to agree

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and how many of them that aren't doing any kind of tour would be? quite honestly, if the membership doesnt want to do it, what are ya gonna do? hold a gun to their heads and say "you must do this!"??????

sorry, but nothing pointed out in this thread shows any logic in trying to merge the two together.

they are different beasts, and should remain as such. I think you'd get people from both circuits intimately involved to agree

If they don't want to do it then they don't join that particular corps, just as it is now. The members would know what they are getting into when they sign up, it isn't like they are all of a sudden going to say in July, oh we changed our mind and are only going to do the DCA weekend shows now.

If they don't want to do it then they don't join that particular corps, just as it is now. The members would know what they are getting into when they sign up, it isn't like they are all of a sudden going to say in July, oh we changed our mind and are only going to do the DCA weekend shows now.

then...IMO...you'll have even fewer corps than we do now.

tell me how that's better for the activity?

What shows are they going to tour to? DCA can't afford to pay or sponsor nightly shows, pay judges, etc. What tour is it you speak of that they can do if they wish?????

Empire Statemen have gone on tour out of the country on 2 occasions. DCA had nothing to do with their financial arrangements. The same way that DCI has nothing to do with the financial arrangements for any Corps under their umbrella with regard to touring. Each Corps in both DCA and DCI tour at their own expense.

Well those are the people we need to educate..."What is drum and bugle corps? Where were we? Where did we come from to get to here?" I started that post in DCA with the idea that most people would agree and that would be that. Well, I guess some people have other ideas. Everyone has their own opinion.

What are the traditions of drum corps? As we see them? Or as they see them?

It's an open can of worms folks. Look at the DCA isn't dead thread. There are some posters in there who think that what DCA corps are out there doing today aren't really up to to the true traditions of drum corps.....

Jeff,

A respect your thoughts but I will disagree. I think to offer them a 2 week tour at the end (leading up to championships is plenty. Remember, kids today have a lot to do (that's what I hear from others as well as my own students). That's what they say but what I see is....hanging out with their friends, partying, maybe work, video games and Myspace and Facebook. I believe if handled right, it will work.

Mike.....kids want to tour. going weekend only is going to chase kids away from marching...then those corps are dead with no kids.

and no one said the dci model for "office" would be the model to do so. But if you wish to incorporate all of these extra corps, it's going to take more than running the circuit out of someone';s basement.

DCA has more than it's own fair share of issues right now. How about we let DCA focus on DCA. if show sponsors want to include junior corps in their shows. more power to them. but DCA does not need to get in the business of trying trying to run all age and junior corps too.

Jeff,

A respect your thoughts but I will disagree. I think to offer them a 2 week tour at the end (leading up to championships is plenty. Remember, kids today have a lot to do (that's what I hear from others as well as my own students). That's what they say but what I see is....hanging out with their friends, partying, maybe work, video games and Myspace and Facebook. I believe if handled right, it will work.

i'd love to agree...but the evidence is out there to show otherwise Keith. Sat beside some wonderful folks in Indy whose son marched Boston. their son had marched somewhere else last year, and they pointed other kids he marched with all week long in other corps.

so I asked "why did they all leave if they loved their old corps?"

the answer for every kid was "they wanted to do the full tour".

the DCA model works for kids who do not want to do a full tour or pay that much. given that Open Class is half of what is was 10 years ago, I'd say the DCI option of doing it is not as popular.

if you want to get those kids involved, get them into DCA corps. The part time level on the DCI side of things is sadly becoming extinct, because it does not have the appeal it used to....and without regional circuits, it never will

So having your corps fold and sitting at home all summer would be better? Besides, there are corps that still don't do a full tour, Gold, Impulse, Thunder just to name a few. Those members seem fine with it.

As well as Jersey Surf, Teal to name a couple more. These are the DCI Corps that would suffer the most and probably have to fold if this g7 thing becomes reality. OR they could approach DCA (as could the non g7 DCI Corps) asking for some type of alliance. But based on an earlier post by Taters, he has it on fairly good authority that g7 probably won't happen any time soon. So, as I've been saying all along, the point is moot.