Random DCA brainstorm thought

Just what could be worked out? There would have to be 2 separate sets of rules. DCA currently has no electronics, and DCI corps have invested heavily in it. Unless of course DCA approves electronics this voting caucus.....

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just what could be worked out? There would have to be 2 separate sets of rules. DCA currently has no electronics, and DCI corps have invested heavily in it. Unless of course DCA approves electronics this voting caucus.....

Well, like I've been saying, DCA would have to be approached about these ideas by DCI and/or DCI member Corps, they will not be the ones to initiate them. That being said they would have to agree to DCA rule regarding electronics. At present DCA does not allow electronics. And if the DCA member Corps vote to allow electronics they will be left with 2, maybe 3 Corps who could possibly afford them, no one else would be able to "keep up with the Joneses". What happened to DCI will happen to DCA. And as I have already stated that the DCI Corps could save themselves hundreds of thousands of dollars by not having to invest in electronics any longer. They could sell the electronic equipment they presently have to the g7 Corps (hopefully at inflated prices to REALLY set the screws to those greedy ########) and have extra money in hand. And again by keeping their competition schedule on a regional basis save even more thousands of dollars. Again, personally, I think it would be a win-win situation for DCA and any DCI Corps that would do so. And I think it would be a tremendous shot in the arm to the entire activity.

Edited by NYSkyliner

I don't think it would be fair to the kids. I don't hear them complaining about the use of electronics, just the spectators. Additionally, their numbers are based on different numbers than DCA (150 vs. 128). I think that the separation is good. They are their own group. I don't see a place in DCA for them.

Didn't read all the posts here but......

Great idea!

The junior level would have to have their own championships at an earlier date.

Addition of more adjudicators.

Keep things regional until championships...maybe the week before allow for a tour by each corps.

Push for each corps to sponsor a show and do a home-and-home type show. "You come to my show and I come to yours."

Just a couple ideas.

The main thing I'd just like to see some out of a possible post-G7/WSoDC scenario would be that the relations between DCA and DCI would improve, and that maybe, just maybe we'd be able to have some real mixed contests again here in the NE like the Dream and Hershey Spectacular again.

As for a DCA corps making a jump to DCI and going touring, it'd be on the order of someone racing sprint cars at their local dirt track, having some local success and deciding they wanted to go run the full World of Outlaws schedule- a huge jump in budget, equipment, dues, etc. Not just a small jump. I have a guess most DCA units are happy with the fact they can make their ends meet and have success doing what they're doing right now.

I also think they fill an important niche that needs filled- not every kid can afford to tour, but wants to experience corps. It's done this very well for decades, and I'm hoping it will continue to do so.

Edited by BigW

These corps are going to want to save money and having electronics is an additional expense. If they want to maintain their status they would have to abide by DCA rules...whatever those would be if this were to ever happen.

I would hope that their goals would be to grow as a sub-organization of DCA, uphold the tradition of drum corps and to encourage growth of the activity around the country. This would be a great way to develop new corps. Assisting in the education of future corps.

These corps are going to want to save money and having electronics is an additional expense. If they want to maintain their status they would have to abide by DCA rules...whatever those would be if this were to ever happen.

I would hope that their goals would be to grow as a sub-organization of DCA, uphold the tradition of drum corps and to encourage growth of the activity around the country. This would be a great way to develop new corps. Assisting in the education of future corps.

I don't think it would be fair to the kids.

How so? Do you think what is presently going on and has gone on in the past has been fair to all of the kids who can't participate in Drum Corps because of what has been wrought on them by a few greedy ########?

I don't hear them complaining about the use of electronics, just the spectators.

It isn't just about spectator dissatisfaction (although removing electronics would probably have a major impact on more "fans in the stands"), it's more about economics. And let's face it, in these economic times we're ALL suffering.

Additionally, their numbers are based on different numbers than DCA (150 vs. 128).

That really isn't that big of a deal. I think that could be negotiated.

I think that the separation is good. They are their own group. I don't see a place in DCA for them.

Thanks for your thoughts Liz, I always appreciate them. Maybe not agree all of the time but vive le difference. :smile:

Edited by NYSkyliner

BINGO!!!! :smile::tongue::blink::whistle::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Edited by NYSkyliner

What are the traditions of drum corps? As we see them? Or as they see them?

It's an open can of worms folks. Look at the DCA isn't dead thread. There are some posters in there who think that what DCA corps are out there doing today aren't really up to to the true traditions of drum corps.....