Rules Change proposals for DCP-I XV

Proposal: Elimination of finals week caption changes during the off season

Rationale: By eliminating the caption week finals changes, we create the possibility that a max set at finals might not indeed make finals due to poor scoring Quarters or Semi scores. This will create a risk vs reward situation in caption selection.

Example... You have 2005 INT for brass with a cost of 17 points. INT scored an 19.1 at finals and is a prime caption for value but at quarters, INT scored an 17.2 in that caption. You are know stuck with INT 05 and their 17.2 for quarters, you can not use INT 04 (17 points) and their 19.2 at quarters (but scored a 17.8 at finals) and simply change at the next round.

By removing the caption change, you have a risk of not making finals despite having the best caption set for finals. History has shown this to have happen on several occasions in FDCI.

Effect on the activity: Balance to the league and new strategies come into off season play.

Submitted by: Cloudhype, Mystré

No more races to the max set (or the concept of the max set changes). I like it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Effect on the activity: Mystre doesn't jump from 30th to 5th in finals week. :innocent: Actually, gives rookies a chance to play without feeling overshadowed by the greatness that is Mystre, Kadence, The plethora of Knights, and the Lakers. :thumbup:

Submitted by: Toby, Great Lakers/WYAA

Who you callin' a plethora????

Den there fightin' words! :tongue:

I've never been called a plethora before.

Proposal: During odd-seasons, instead of picking a corps/year combo for each caption, we can take an average finish for the last 5 real years and have that as the basis for a corps' captions. The year generated for a corps would be based on random selection by the system.

Rationale: No more selecting just "the best" and riding them out. Makes off-season a bit more realistic, and allows for some more random finishes.

Effect on the activity: Mystre doesn't jump from 30th to 5th in finals week. :innocent: Actually, gives rookies a chance to play without feeling overshadowed by the greatness that is Mystre, Kadence, The plethora of Knights, and the Lakers. :tongue:

Submitted by: Toby, Great Lakers/WYAA

I like the idea of "average for the point value" but I never like "selection by the system"... In the end, the players selections should decide the winner, not the system.

A little wrinkle to the "caption worth" that changes from season to season might be a good idea.

Proposal: Predetermined amount of Caption Changes

My proposal would allow corps to have a alloted amount of changes to use per season. Once a corps had used them all up, they were locked with those captions for the duration of the regular season. The alloted number of changes could be finalized by committee (but less than amount of weeks) . However, I feel that the graduated point increase should stay in place as we know it. That would prevent people from choosing the max number of points from the outset. However, with this change you would also be able to make unlimited caption changes per event during the regular season. During finals week, we would keep the same system of possibly changing 2 captions per day as we currently abide by.

Rationale: To increase the Strategy involving Caption Changes and when to change captions.

Effect on the activity:

From a gameplay standpoint, this would change the way corps directors look at making changes. This would also eliminate the "1 per week" rule for caption changes. Directors would also have to plan changes in advance since there would be less changes than weeks (a midseason rewrite). Corps may choose to save thier changes until late in the season, allowing more corps to have success early in the season.

From a Technical standpoint, There is already coding for changes that is used during finals week. This could be rewritten to be a total number for the season.

Submitted by: James Hensley, California Knights

!!! REVISION !!!! For LIVE SEASONS

After consideration, I would make a max number of Individual caption changes for the season. The formula would include a time clock of sorts... example: In a 11 week season, each corps would get 40 caption changes for the season (4 per wk no finals wk). However, every week, 2 changes would exprire leaving a max of 20 captions changes before finals week.

Bump, any more suggestions or discussion? Voting will happen Wednesday and end on Friday.

Proposal: Prelims bye for top-seeded WC corps

Rationale: In order to cut down on the "split-venue" effect at finals, I propose that the top-12 ranked World Class corps heading into finals week (based on the "Season Rankings" that hostrauer is currently organizing) receive a bye for prelims. This would also add a bit more mystery and suspense to finals week, not knowing what certain corps "would have scored" on the first day of competition.

Corps receiving a bye would still be able to change captions between prelims and quarterfinals per the current rules system, new rule changes to the contrary notwithstanding.

Proposed by: Matt Briddell, director of Kadence

Proposal: Prelims bye for top-seeded WC corps

Rationale: In order to cut down on the "split-venue" effect at finals, I propose that the top-12 ranked World Class corps heading into finals week (based on the "Season Rankings" that hostrauer is currently organizing) receive a bye for prelims. This would also add a bit more mystery and suspense to finals week, not knowing what certain corps "would have scored" on the first day of competition.

Corps receiving a bye would still be able to change captions between prelims and quarterfinals per the current rules system, new rule changes to the contrary notwithstanding.

Proposed by: Matt Briddell, director of Kadence

NO go on the bye for me, and chances are, I would get a bye.

Proposal: To remove the rule that prevents the DCPI director from fielding a WC corps during the live season.

Rationale: As the proposer of the original rule that made the DCPI Director unable to field a corps , I don't see the need to keep the DCPI director from fielding a corps during the live season where the captions are picked by educated guesses and not scores from contest from seasons past that is stored on a spread sheet. During the live season, there is no conflict of interest

This is only for a world class corps as in many cases, WC corps are using captions during finals that are from "non generated" scores. In other divisions, a director has to frequently use captions that are indeed generated due to the fact that a respective caption comes from a corps that does not advance from Quarters or Semis.

Effect on the activity: Allows the people that work hard to run the league to join in on the fun during the live season. The rule keeps in place the old standard of not allowing them to compete in the off season where a perceived "conflict of interest" my be seen by directors and prospective directors.

Proposed by: Cloudhype, director Mystré

I appreciate it... but I will shoot that one down. I dont want there to be any conflict.