Who do you think will be the first corps to dispense

We've all heard it by now............nearly every top 12 corps with tuba lines numbering 10 to 20 members has someone on a synth on the front sideline pushing a single key and overpowering them.

Since these synth abilities exist, how long before a corps decides that the extra 10/20 spots are best given to the sop/pit/guard/bari/alto lines since a guy on the front sideline with an electronic toy can completely invalidate their on field contribution with the stroke of a finger?

As a contra player, I HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE when corps double their bass line with a synth. Makes me wonder, why the F even have a conventional bass line to begin with at all?

Edited by ContraRich77

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm confused. Wouldn't those spots go towards woodwinds.

Since these synth abilities exist, how long before a corps decides that the extra 10/20 spots are best given to the sop/pit/guard/bari/alto lines since a guy on the front sideline with an electronic toy can completely invalidate their on field contribution with the stroke of a finger?

That same "electronic toy" could also, with the stroke of a finger, completely invalidate the sop/pit/bari/alto...so I guess only the guard is safe.

I attended over 10 shows this year and all 3 nights in Indy and I really paid attention in those last 3 shows as to exactly how the synths were being used.

It's my opinion that the use of synths duplicating the tuba voice is GREATLY exaggerated. I'm not saying it didn't happen with some corps, but even the few that used it did so in moderation.

I saw Bluecoats more than any other corps and their use of electronics was, IMO, outstanding...and they did NOT have their synth player duplicating the tuba voice at any point in their show. The 16 tubas they had out on the field were, as the old saying goes, "gettin' er done"!

I honestly don't think we will ever see World Class corps going to small tuba sections...and NEVER dispensing with them.

I honestly only heard the goo from 2 corps on finals night. People will get their volumes in check and tuba lines will be just fine.

With respect, I was NOT there on finals night but have heard that crap here and there for all the shows I DID get a chance to attend this season.....That, and this is not the only year it has happened.

Just now, not a minute ago (I am as we speak watching 2010 BD on Fan Network) heard a passage in BD's show with a walking bass line and the tubas didn't even have their horns up! What's up with THAT????????

Is this a serious question?

In a way, yes!

I don't think any corps would have the testicular fortitude to cut their tuba line anytime soon, but they have PROVEN they can do without it thanks to synths. Dangerous doors are being opened around us left and right. Who's to say what will happen next?

wow this thread kills alot of baby seals

it will go away when the judging community says to them "it's not needed and is hurting your show"

I'm confused. Wouldn't those spots go towards woodwinds.

Yes, the bass clarinet section.