Who do you think will be the first corps to dispense

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With respect, I was NOT there on finals night but have heard that crap here and there for all the shows I DID get a chance to attend this season.....That, and this is not the only year it has happened.

Just now, not a minute ago (I am as we speak watching 2010 BD on Fan Network) heard a passage in BD's show with a walking bass line and the tubas didn't even have their horns up! What's up with THAT????????

Take a chill pill...everything in the low range musically doesn't have to come from the contras. I do agree some use it too abundantly but that's just poor balance in the charts. The low synth can set a mood if used tastefully and add framework to a sound that it featured. You're way too overwrought about this...but I guess if I carried one of those big son's a #####es around like you...I'd be a little ###### as well! :innocent:

Edited by Plan9

Preview Pic 0f 2011 Cadets from their first camp!

depeche_mode.jpg

:innocent::tongue:

I actually love Depeche Mode,lol.

There was one hornline on Friday night that didn't have the assistance of any synths or amps on the bass line... but we did have an awesome group of tuba players laying it out.

I hope your question doesn't come to fruition as that would be a shame to the activity but your reason for asking does hold validity:(

Edited by SACMellos2010

Man I wish I could've watched the Star Alumni show.....

I agree that this might happen in Open Class first, espeically a young corps. What are tubas, 5K new? A few grand used? Imaging wanting a low brass sound and not being able to find 3-6 players that can carry the tuba, or just putting the money towards something else. Why not just buy a synth and two decent speakers?

I really could see a young corps going out with trumpets, mellos and baris and thats it. It wouldn't even be about giving the spots to other sections of the corps, because most small corps don't fill up anyway.

it will go away when the judging community says to them "it's not needed and is hurting your show"

And with the likes of those who judged semis and finals this year (sans three of them), this isn't going to happen anytime soon.

And with the likes of those who judged semis and finals this year (sans three of them), this isn't going to happen anytime soon.

exactly

We've all heard it by now............nearly every top 12 corps with tuba lines numbering 10 to 20 members has someone on a synth on the front sideline pushing a single key and overpowering them.

Since these synth abilities exist, how long before a corps decides that the extra 10/20 spots are best given to the sop/pit/guard/bari/alto lines since a guy on the front sideline with an electronic toy can completely invalidate their on field contribution with the stroke of a finger?

As a contra player, I HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE when corps double their bass line with a synth. Makes me wonder, why the F even have a conventional bass line to begin with at all?

This, when alot of Corps have been EXPANDING there CONTRA Lines LOL :innocent: Some to 20 "Tubas" No worries.

Edited by Perry S

The problem I have is that in some corps the balance is such that the synths are actually ovrpowering the contras. That is wrong.

At finals during one particular hit I told my friend, "Wow, that hit would have been awesome if it were the brass." *cough SCV cough*

And don't get me started on Crossmen.

You want to use electronics to complement, fine. I can think of three corps that actually did this well. For instance, even the doubling from Blue Knights was only in spots, and was NOT overpowering. I was able to celebrate their brass. Bluecoats = awesome. That was the way it CAN be done, and thanks to them for showing us how.

I hope this bad balance is just growing pains and not a trend of badness, but my experience watching BOA shows tells me otherwise.