Indianapolis Attendance

With that logic then have all the corps at every show, yet have less shows and money will follow. Right?

Hmmmm, here is a thought: Go to a weekend only show format for both WC and OC. One ticket purchase gets a person into a full two-day weekend show schedule. On Friday, the first half is half of OC corps and the second half is half of the WC corps; on Saturday the same thing. Except during Finals week, performance schedules could be by random draw so that there would be fan incentive to go to both nights. During the week, all of the corps could be dispersed into the surrounding communities rehearsing their contest shows and providing some entertainment (for slight fees of course) at local businesses, art fairs, community events, etc... Housing would have to be worked out, that is for sure. However, and I know it is only an imaginative idea, but would it work to a) increase the fan base; b) increase revenue; and c) increase the number of people watching OC corps?

Edited by Stu

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't you email this idea to Bob, Dan, and Sue at DCI and get their input? What would it hurt? You cannot assume that they have really given this "lower prices / increase revenue and attendance" idea that much attention.

I've spoken to some people there already in the last few months. I know notes were taken :dontgetit:

The only show that sometimes had all the top corps was DCI Midwest, and many years, it was far from having all the corps. DCI East came close a few times, and Ypsilanti's Preview of Champions did a couple times, (if my memory isn't faulty on that one). But there are huge regional shows that everyone knows year in and year out will have all the World Class corps (with the exception of one or two that haven't gone out on tour yet) and those shows didn't exist back then. We didn't have Atlanta and San Antonio and DCI East wasn't set up as a requisite stop on the way to the World Championships as it is now. That may account for more people being drawn to the championship shows than before.

in most years, they ran two regionals in the same day in areas far apart...85 the exception in Allentown. 80 may have been close to full, I'll have to look. Yet.....Allentown still had great crowds

I tend to disagree but not completely…I do think a lower ticket price may get a few extra people in the seats but I doubt a lot, enough to be worth it... they do have lower priced tickets for finals anyway

I mainly disagree because people travel to finals and its several days (well, for some, I did it 1 day this year and flown in for just 1 day in the past). So when you look at transportation, lodging, food, time off work…that ticket price becomes rather minor compared to the total spent

Part of what I found so bothersome about the Rosebowl was I shelled out a lot of money and bought a top tier ticket package early and still got stuck in what I thought were bad seats. I would have gladly paid a lot more for a better seats, I didn't drop a few grand to sit on the 20 and listen to the lights buzz but yet....

I would expect the regionals to be more price sensitive because I assume most people have a smaller overall outlay of cash…doing it as a day trip or just an over nighter so the ticket price would be a bigger percentage of the overall cost

living in Chicago, $125 bucks for a ticket seems very reasonable and Chicago is a part of the Indy market

you may be right, and travel is often an issue, but I hear about the actual ticket cost more than then actual travel costs when talking to people. And you are right, seating for those prices is a HUGE reason why folks got disgruntled.

let's also not forget, the Dome is also a turnoff to people. I'm hesitant about returning to it.

in most years, they ran two regionals in the same day in areas far apart...85 the exception in Allentown. 80 may have been close to full, I'll have to look. Yet.....Allentown still had great crowds

Do you have numbers that show much higher Allentown attendance in the 80's?

Hmmmm, here is a thought: Go to a weekend only show format for both WC and OC. One ticket purchase gets a person into a full two-day weekend show schedule. On Friday, the first half is half of OC corps and the second half is half of the WC corps; on Saturday the same thing. Except during Finals week, performance schedules could be by random draw so that there would be fan incentive to go to both nights. During the week, all of the corps could be dispersed into the surrounding communities rehearsing their contest shows and providing some entertainment (for slight fees of course) at local businesses, art fairs, community events, etc... Housing would have to be worked out, that is for sure. However, and I know it is only an imaginative idea, but would it work to a) increase the fan base; b) increase revenue; and c) increase the number of people watching OC corps?

I think any regular season show should have OC corps. including the last two weeks of the season, and not throwing them on a tour of midwest small towns

Here is a different take on why there might be so few people attending DCI Finals in recent years:

If you live in TX, LA, or NM and can see 'all' of the WC corps in San Antonio, why pay the extra expense to go to Indy Finals?

If you live in AL, GA, TN, SC, NC, or FL and you can see 'all' of the WC corps in Atlanta, why pay the extra expense to go to Indy Finals?

If you live in the northeast and can see 'all' of the WC corps in Allentown, why pay the extra expense to go to Indy Finals?

If you live in the northern middle States, and can see 'all' of the WC corps in Minneapolis, why pay the extra expense to go to Indy Finals?

In our case you are right! We went to Bloomington 2 years ago and had a great time, thought it was a nice venue and area to vacation in. Last year we went to Indy and again we had a great time on this vacation but we felt the venue was poor not only accustically, but also the NFL concession prices were a concern for us. I paid $18.00 for nachos, a coke and M & M Peanuts. We, without regrets, decided to go to Minneapolis this summer instead of back to Indy. Unfortunately some of the show was rained out but we liked it so much that we will go to Minneapolis every year that it has a comprehensive lineup rather than Indianapolis. We had a great vacation there and found that it's a very nice venue - plus we don''t have to drive through Chicago!

I think Drums Along the Rockies was the other show, but if not, someone will correct me.

Do you have numbers that show much higher Allentown attendance in the 80's?

Fred Windish may, i'll send him a note. I'm not sure if Allentown cracked 10k per night this year, but I think it only has once since the event moved back to JBC after it was rebuilt.