Bando/n00b Stories

I apologize, but upon first read it seemed to me like you were trying to say the same thing the other poster did. I did not read your post carefully enough and realized my mistake after I replied. However, I do want to say that I'm not trying to discredit them. This is just supposed to be a discussion about things that they do that annoy us. I welcome any fan who wants to get into this activity. I just roll my eyes at Bandos and try to educate them. Like telling one who asks why people are "booing" the Bluecoats that they are actually "blooing." That's all I'm getting at.

Define bando. Someone who's only marched band and not corps? If they don't act all googly eyed at a corps or say stupid things arey they still bando? Can someone who's marched corps still be considered bando if they still act like a DB after marching corps? Is a 65 year old person at their first drum corps show who doesn't get why everyone is "booing" Bluecoats, or calls a corps a band a bando?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually laugh at such things as at least they are watching the band..... err corps. :tongue:

Favorites:

Hearing "What school are you with?" during parades. Funny as Hades when they take a closer look and see some of the grey hair in our Alumni-type corps. To be fair we do have some college age members, so MAYBE they were seen first.

Horn instructor (who teachs at a HS) refering to the G contras as "tubas". Response was "Does this look like your band room.. GEESH".

Or when people refer to Bb tubas as "contras" :tongue:

Maybe they need a scorecard for who was what key horns. :tongue:

Never knew that went the other way. Then again I've always played a G corps horn. LOL, played five different configurations (2 horizontal piston, piston/slide, piston/rotor, 2v, 3v) but always G.

Maybe they need a scorecard for who was what key horns. :tongue:

Never knew that went the other way. Then again I've always played a G corps horn. LOL, played five different configurations (2 horizontal piston, piston/slide, piston/rotor, 2v, 3v) but always G.

THANK YOU!!!!! Someone who agrees with me on this.

Forget it then. This was not meant to be a thread where people bash me. So what if I haven't marched corps? Does that make me any less of a person? Or, does it make you elitist for discouting my opinion because I never got the chance to march.

Very mature.

In addition to likewise hating people who use "their" incorrectly....I really hate it when peeple spell incorrectly. :tongue:

I'll share a story:

Who: About 1/2 of my high school drumline.

When: The fall of '81.

Where: Terre Haute, IN - Indiana State Championships

Set-up: At that time, Phantom Regiment sold their Corps jackets to the public. Some of you will remember those black nylon jackets with the white lettering. If I remember correctly, 5 of us in the drumline bought them. We ALWAYS wore them to our competitions. It was part of our hype and we thought it was funny when the other bands drummers gawked at us when we got off the buses.

Busted!!!: We arrive and head to the bathrooms (wearing the PR jackets of course) before we need to change to perform. This guy asks us "When did YOU march?". I look this guy straight in the eye and reply "This summer.". He responds "Funny, I don't remember seeing you on tour." I say "Funny, I don't remember seeing you either." He says "Well that would be impossible as I WAS DRUM MAJOR THIS YEAR!!!" Well, what do I say to that??? We RAN out of there and all the way back to the buses. I was just thankful I didn't get my ### kicked for being a pretender...

So that's my TRUE story.

I'll share a story:

Who: About 1/2 of my high school drumline.

When: The fall of '81.

Where: Terre Haute, IN - Indiana State Championships

Set-up: At that time, Phantom Regiment sold their Corps jackets to the public. Some of you will remember those black nylon jackets with the white lettering. If I remember correctly, 5 of us in the drumline bought them. We ALWAYS wore them to our competitions. It was part of our hype and we thought it was funny when the other bands drummers gawked at us when we got off the buses.

Busted!!!: We arrive and head to the bathrooms (wearing the PR jackets of course) before we need to change to perform. This guy asks us "When did YOU march?". I look this guy straight in the eye and reply "This summer.". He responds "Funny, I don't remember seeing you on tour." I say "Funny, I don't remember seeing you either." He says "Well that would be impossible as I WAS DRUM MAJOR THIS YEAR!!!" Well, what do I say to that??? We RAN out of there and all the way back to the buses. I was just thankful I didn't get my ### kicked for being a pretender...

So that's my TRUE story.

LMAO!!! God bless you for sharing, most people would have taken that story to their grave lol.

When in college I got asked by a freshmen if I marched with the Chicago Cavaliers that were "on TV the other week" (ye olde PBS broadcast of DCI Finals). Then I realized he knew I was with a corps and I was wearing my old Keystone Kavaliers jacket. OK, Kavaliers was mis-spelled with a "C" (long story) and the Keystone part was an outline of a keystone and not the word. But the jacket was purple and not green.

Considering all he knew about Drum Corps was the 1977 DCI broadcast, it wasn't that bad......