Cadets Championship drought?

Following their 2005 DCI Championship, The Cadets have experienced something of a drought with 2011 the earliest they can possibly end it, equaling a 6-year span.

2007 was, as I and others have maintained, STILL one of the finest units ever fielded in drum corps history. And I maintain that it took 2007 BD to snag the Championship from 2007 Cadets. A little less energetic performance by BD and this thread doesn't exist.

2009 and 2010 have certainly been well-received, entertaining shows (LOVE 2010!).

But my question is...what is the previous longest span between Championships for The Cadets from 1983 to 2005? I'm guessing 2000 to 2005, but maybe I've got my years wrong? Thanks for clarifying.

And lastly, BD had sort of a rough go of things while Star of Indiana was around. While BD won in 1986, Star's first competitive year (IIRC), BD was shut out in the Gold Medals department (before they even used the term in DCI!) until Star left DCI effective for the 1994 season, also a Blue Devils' undefeated season.

I would say that The Cadets' current drought compares to BD's from 86 to 94, and to be fair, I suppose that you'd have to include Phantom Regiment's span between their first (96) and second Championships (08). Madison's gap between 75 and 88, while longer than any of these, doesn't rank as highly in my book because Madtown always had the reputation of playing to the crowd and not giving a rip what the recaps said. Now, if/when DVD and Mason deliver another Championship, 20+ years will certainly rate right up there, especially given the entertainment quality of so many of those 20+ shows!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Following their 2005 DCI Championship, The Cadets have experienced something of a drought with 2011 the earliest they can possibly end it, equaling a 6-year span.

2007 was, as I and others have maintained, STILL one of the finest units ever fielded in drum corps history. And I maintain that it took 2007 BD to snag the Championship from 2007 Cadets. A little less energetic performance by BD and this thread doesn't exist.

2009 and 2010 have certainly been well-received, entertaining shows (LOVE 2010!).

But my question is...what is the previous longest span between Championships for The Cadets from 1983 to 2005? I'm guessing 2000 to 2005, but maybe I've got my years wrong? Thanks for clarifying.

And lastly, BD had sort of a rough go of things while Star of Indiana was around. While BD won in 1986, Star's first competitive year (IIRC), BD was shut out in the Gold Medals department (before they even used the term in DCI!) until Star left DCI effective for the 1994 season, also a Blue Devils' undefeated season.

I would say that The Cadets' current drought compares to BD's from 86 to 94, and to be fair, I suppose that you'd have to include Phantom Regiment's span between their first (96) and second Championships (08). Madison's gap between 75 and 88, while longer than any of these, doesn't rank as highly in my book because Madtown always had the reputation of playing to the crowd and not giving a rip what the recaps said. Now, if/when DVD and Mason deliver another Championship, 20+ years will certainly rate right up there, especially given the entertainment quality of so many of those 20+ shows!

How about "droughts" for Cavies and SCV? The Madison and PR "droughts" could hardly be thought of as any sort of trending statistic, since they only won 2 titles each. Just think of Kingsmen's drought if you want to go down that road.

My only correction would be that Star entered the field in 1985.

While this has been a bit of a drought for Cadets, I don't see it ending anytime soon. Crown and Bluecoats have effectively forced their way into the Elite of competition. Cavies are once again effectively nipping at the heals of BD. PR is also showing promise of resurgence. There's a lot of big dogs at the top of the pack. Because of this, I find BD's run quite amazing. It's just a matter of stepping up execution from these top corps. This will make it all the harder for Cadets to get the gold in the near future. That said, you can never count them out.

I like waffles

They went four in a row without winning from 93 to 98 and 00 to 05. So yeah, five years now without winning is the longest. I don't think that's terribly meaningful. Cavies dominated the early 00s and BD has dominated since. And with heavy pressure from Crown (who have placed above Cadets three years in a row now) and now Bluecoats, the Cadets need to do something really phenomenal to win, and although their past two shows have been very solid, they just didn't have the something extra to put them over the top. Little Jeffrey ain't gonna do it.

It's no coincidence that Hoppy is working to create an imovable drum corps elite that includes the Cadets. The man is anything but stupid, and IMO is recognizing that the Cadets brand in and of itself may not be enough to keep certain "outsiders" from giving them a run for their money in the years to come.

It's no coincidence that Hoppy is working to create an imovable drum corps elite that includes the Cadets. The man is anything but stupid, and IMO is recognizing that the Cadets brand in and of itself may not be enough to keep certain "outsiders" from giving them a run for their money in the years to come.

Yup, he's wanting to close the door since two more just got let in and there are a few more knocking.

Span between wins for most recent and consistent DCI winners includes current non winning streak and longest streak between previous wins

SCV

99 - 2010 - Current non winning streak 11 years

89 - 99 - 9 years - Won in 10th year

81 - 89 - 7 years - won in 8th year

Cavaliers

2006 - 2010 - current non winning streak 4 years

95 - 2000 - 4 years - won in 5th year

Cadets

2005 - 2010 - current non winning streak 5 years

00 - 05 - 4 years - won in 5th year

93 - 98 - 4 years - won in 5th year

BD

Current Champion

86 - 94 - 7 years - won in 8th year

Phantom

2008 - 2010 - current non winning streak 2 years

1996 - 2008 - 11 years - won in 12th year

Madison

1988 - 2010 - current non winning streak 22 years

1975 - 1988 - 12 years - won in 13th year

Yeah, it must be rough when a corps experiences a drought from winning DCI. I'm so sad about that. I mean, how many years without a title is concerning? Seven? Nine?

:tongue:

How about NONE. Is NONE considered a drought? Those dang non-winning out of the G-7 PIA loser corps. I wish they'd all just go away and take their droughts with them.