10 keyboardists, 140 color guard.

Oh, bull.

They get this crap from you every year, and it's wrong every year. Take a look at Avon's show for the last two years and then try to come back with that BS.

Or listen to Marcus' winds and tell me who relied more on synths, Crossmen or Marcus HS.

Get off your freakin' high horse folks.

Avon, as much as I love them, does not represent all of BOA (same goes for Marcus). There are great majority of bands that do use that setup. Please do research before getting on your own "high horse."

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

How is my calling out your elitist ######## a "high horse?"

"Most bands" at BOA use that crap? Once again, bull. In the last several years I have been at at least 42 separate BOA events. I watch them warm up. I watch them backstage. I watch them perform. I go to ALL of nationals, working hard to make these kids some memories. What do you do? You spit in their faces. Classy.

Want to know the truth? The vast majority of BOA bands just march and play music. Some of them because that's what they want to perform, other because they can't afford anything else. Lafayette from Louisiana showed up to GN last year and blew everyone away with nothing but horns, drums, and guard. You don't need the extras to succeed at BOA. Most bands that do succeed DON'T have those extras - but those who do use electronics do it a hell of a lot better than the clumsy, hamhanded attempts by DCI groups - Bluecoast excepted.

How is my calling out your elitist ######## a "high horse?"

"Most bands" at BOA use that crap? Once again, bull. In the last several years I have been at at least 42 separate BOA events. I watch them warm up. I watch them backstage. I watch them perform. I go to ALL of nationals, working hard to make these kids some memories. What do you do? You spit in their faces. Classy.

Want to know the truth? The vast majority of BOA bands just march and play music. Some of them because that's what they want to perform, other because they can't afford anything else. Lafayette from Louisiana showed up to GN last year and blew everyone away with nothing but horns, drums, and guard. You don't need the extras to succeed at BOA. Most bands that do succeed DON'T have those extras - but those who do use electronics do it a hell of a lot better than the clumsy, hamhanded attempts by DCI groups - Bluecoast excepted.

I loved Bluecoast this summer. That and waffles. :tongue:

but those who do use electronics do it a hell of a lot better than the clumsy, hamhanded attempts by DCI groups

Well, allow me a question, then . . .and an attempt to make this thread somewhat useful:

If there's so much crossover between DCI and BOA staff-wise (and we both know that there is), why are we seeing such problematic usage in the DCI arena?

Is it the ensemble sound that's difficult to blend with? The equipment? The scoring/judging rubric?

Avon, as much as I love them, does not represent all of BOA (same goes for Marcus). There are great majority of bands that do use that setup. Please do research before getting on your own "high horse."

A majority of bands use ten drumsets, three guitars, two bass and five synths? Sorry to say, but you're a bit out of your freaking mind. I'm going to have to back Henson up here. Is it possible that this is your poor attempt at looking for a scapegoat or influence to pass blame on DCI's attempts at using electronics?

Of the events I have seen over the past ten years, I can count the number of bands that have had more than one drumset or a super advanced electronics setup on both hands and still have fingers to spare. Tarpon Springs, Broken Arrow and a couple of the Texas schools are the main offenders. The VAST majority will either go with a) no electronics; b) amplified front ensemble and soloists; c) one electronic instrument with amplification.

Edited by Musicman1084

Naming bands on DCP is a total waste of finger power.

Naming bands on DCP is a total waste of finger power.

Nuh uh! My cousin's brother's best friend marched snare at Ronald Reagan! So there! :tongue: