You know drum corps is dying when.............

Very nice stuff here and obvious heart felt. But.... to complete your logic (your point/your opinion) it must be assumed that whoever reads this believes your premise that "the crowd' behaved as you suggested in response to BD in the last two years. And setting it up by saying that it must be cool to be BD, too bad the crowd doesn't like em'! Hog wash! You may not, JR may not, et al Dinos may not, but there are many who do love and appreciate current BD; as well as their amazingly creative shows and extraordinary level of performance. There is simply no one at their level right now, both in design and execution.

Now, if you couple your "classic drum corps" expectation with the venues of the mid-west that are ready for a new champion (ABBD) you will always get a portion of the audience that's dissatisfied. In fact, you could actually feel the crowds migrate as the competitions approached Indy moving their support from BC to Cavies (sort of like political parties do when they know one or the other has the best shot at challenging the incumbent :rolleyes: ). BTW, taking nothing away from your great 90,000 stand "O" moment (congrats), but my guess is that it was a home game!! Right?? That's my point, crowds sometimes react to prevailing attitudes and not necessarily to what they're seeing on the field. Sort of like that "away" team player that does an unbelievable play and the home crowd goes...meh! I hope you get what I'm saying here...you don't have to like BD 2010 (Jeff! :tongue: ), but putting your dislike with their production and their somewhat muted reaction at LOS together is no clear indication of anything! Therefore, your final sentence is nothing more than a pure insult to a corps that is both loved and enjoyed by a large audience (perhaps not you) and obviously the judges!

So, I'm glad for you that you have figured it all out ...you say things are worse because of who is winning today...I say things are better....hopefully we can agree that in truth, they're just different.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you really know that what remains of Drum Corps is dying when those who still participate refer to those people who had once marched or judged or instructed or managed it during the years in which it was most active and popular as "dinos".

No other competitive activity that I'm aware of so callously dismisses its veteran contributors, and thereby its history.

No other competitive activity I'm aware of is so pretentious to assume that the times in which they operate mark the very pinnacle of their activity's achievements.

that's true, and sadly, always part of drum corps' culture. I respect those doing it now as much as those past, even if i don't like some of both

And you really know that what remains of Drum Corps is dying when those who still participate refer to those people who had once marched or judged or instructed or managed it during the years in which it was most active and popular as "dinos".

No other competitive activity that I'm aware of so callously dismisses its veteran contributors, and thereby its history.

No other competitive activity I'm aware of is so pretentious to assume that the times in which they operate mark the very pinnacle of their activity's achievements.

And to add to this I'll emphasize that it's coming from not just current marching members (the youngin's) but also from a considerable number of staff and leadership. Such willingness to dismiss that which came before and create something "new" can be compared to a ...

Wow... I guess tongue in cheek is a dying art form. The original post gave me a chuckle..... cause I know the dinos of my marching years complained of the innovations that were intoduced.

Boo, you crack me up. Cheddar to you. Well aged cheddar.

• 3 weeks later...
In our local area 2 of the 3 band directors in our town came from drum corps. I am still a booster for our band and our director marched with a corps from Iowa, I think it was Knight Express? and also, his wife marched with another corps, I can't remember where right now. So, maybe it is all becoming one.

I read many people are wanting more entertaining shows. When I was in Indianapolis this summer, there was just something about some shows that made them more exciting to me. I believe the passion of the performers is this intangible something that can be felt by the crowd. So, when the kids believe in their show, when they are entertained by performing it, I think it makes a difference. I really felt a difference when Madison was on the field than I did when other corps either higher or lower than them were on the field. Sure, each show is different, but I think selling the members on their show, might be an important consideration some corps are missing.

Very well put!

It is lonely at the top, and after the incredible `09 rendition of the BD,you can`t help but admire what they did in 2010.They certainly did not play it safe,and really produced an amazing piece of art! As a spectator, all I could say was,"wow," as with so many other year`s BD shows.I`ve been going to DC shows for 32 years,and I`ve tried to turn people on to DC for most of those 32 years. It has always perplexed me, as to why I haven`t been more successful at recruiting new fans.

The first time I was blown away by them it was a combination of power and sychronization that really grabbed me. Thus, the all brass "in your face," nature of DC, combined with the incredible precision were the main ingredients that characterized the activity for me. If 2010 was the first year I saw a big time show, I probably would be impressed by the same elements that impressed me in 1978, and it would still be the BD on the top of the heap.

I still found the 1978 show to be more entertaining. So perhaps it isn`t as important what they do, as much as, how they do it?

It is lonely at the top, and after the incredible `09 rendition of the BD,you can`t help but admire what they did in 2010.They certainly did not play it safe,and really produced an amazing piece of art! As a spectator, all I could say was,"wow," as with so many other year`s BD shows.I`ve been going to DC shows for 32 years,and I`ve tried to turn people on to DC for most of those 32 years. It has always perplexed me, as to why I haven`t been more successful at recruiting new fans.

The first time I was blown away by them it was a combination of power and sychronization that really grabbed me. Thus, the all brass "in your face," nature of DC, combined with the incredible precision were the main ingredients that characterized the activity for me. If 2010 was the first year I saw a big time show, I probably would be impressed by the same elements that impressed me in 1978, and it would still be the BD on the top of the heap.

I still found the 1978 show to be more entertaining. So perhaps it isn`t as important what they do, as much as, how they do it?

This is how...

51zs7NxW+HL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I have to argue here. Anyone who knows anything about baseball knows how Ty Cobb was treated in retirement. Same, to an extent, could be said of Pete Rose and Ferguson Jenkins certainly lost the first ballot HOF because of a marijuana conviction.

What do all three of these examples have to do with drum corps...

Well, all would have been needless distractions if they were front on stage. They maligned the current version of the game. I guess I could add Denny McClain to this pack...he much maligned the game after he retired.

So, the game of baseball has changed in the 40+ years I've been a fan. Lowering the height of the mound was one of the biggest changes. I didn't like that change. And I hate the DH in the American League. I can't stand it.

So, in drum corps...the game has changed too. So, yeah, I get what you are all talking about.

After the strike in the 1990s, baseball was all but dead. So, they "juiced" the game up a bit. Now, attendance is up to it's highest level ever. But, some fans never came back after the Dodgers left Brooklyn, or the clear or creme scandal, but hey...I get it. Life and everything in it changes. Some changes are for the better, some for the worse and it all depends on your vantage point which is which.

Sky is falling everybody. Chicken Little said so.

I guess I could add Denny McClain to this pack...he much maligned the game after he retired.

Yes.... but he did serve up No. 535 to Mickey Mantle on a silver platter in 1968. :lol: