You know drum corps is dying when.............

I will disagree with this, though most everything else you said was close. There are plenty of young people who would enjoy that style of drum corps; There are also plenty who wouldn't. It's certainly not 99% percent.

Also, we all know evolution is not 100% forward and unique from the past. It does ebb and flow, and our definition of evolution is greatly morphed by what we assign personal importance to, even if it's not 100% in the realm of reality.

An exaggeration on my part.

But the activity would be even smaller today than it currently is if the style had remained the same. The evidence is clear in mediums like Orchestra losing more and more attendance.

Edited by geluf

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting turn this thread has taken. My favorite subject.

Here is an article that describes what has become of Jazz music because

it has failed to attract a younger audience: Can Jazz Be Saved?

Fantastic article, thanks for sharing!

Here's another article showing the challenge that Classical music faces in attracting younger audiences:

The Fatal X

They must convince grown people with little or no knowledge of Bach and Brahms and Messiaen why these composers should matter to their daily lives. It’s time to drop the mask of professional aloofness. While the battle for education looks tougher than ever, the media can always be manipulated.

Yet, drum corps continually tries to market itself now as a summer artists retreat, complete with students, faculty and the like. . . .giving ourselves the same sort of aloof pretentiousness that is an instant "meh" to most of the population . . .Generation X especially.

Couple that with what little media presence we had to manipulate (PBS/ESPN) to begin with reduced to paid webcasts for the already-hooked, and we seem to be in a "treading water" pattern as far as interest goes.

In short, where's the "in" for the uninitiated? Not everyone takes a "new friend" when they go to a show.

Yet, drum corps continually tries to market itself now as a summer artists retreat, complete with students, faculty and the like. . . .giving ourselves the same sort of aloof pretentiousness that is an instant "meh" to most of the population . . .Generation X especially.

Couple that with what little media presence we had to manipulate (PBS/ESPN) to begin with reduced to paid webcasts for the already-hooked, and we seem to be in a "treading water" pattern as far as interest goes.

In short, where's the "in" for the uninitiated? Not everyone takes a "new friend" when they go to a show.

Personally, I think that is going to have to be the internet - YouTube, etc. That is where the younger generation hangs out.

That is why I think the activity needs more good composers, so we can promo drum corps music without having to worry

about music rights.

But it is difficult now because there is no single media outlet that reaches everyone. Back in the old days the PBS broadcast

worked reasonably well but they now have a much smaller market share due to increased competition.

Edited by BDUFLS

Personally, I think that is going to have to be the internet - YouTube, etc.

Not if DCI keeps pulling videos off there and going after sites that link to them it's not.

An exaggeration on my part.

But the activity would be even smaller today than it currently is if the style had remained the same. The evidence is clear in mediums like Orchestra losing more and more attendance.

I don't think that drum corps changed to meet the artistic sensibilities of the performer. Most people who march are more concerned with perfecting their performance level. The artistic changes came from a designer/competitive standpoint.

I love the music of Miles Davis, but I personally think the be-bop era is when jazz started to die off. The reason? It was common for jazz musicians (Davis included) to turn their backs on the audience and play to the band members. The audience members eventually felt they were no longer important to the people making the music.

There are parallels to what's been going on in drum corps. If the fans don't believe they are important to those who create the product, there will be dissatisfaction.

Sure as Hades ain't the ticket prices for a person who doesn't know what DC is about.

And that can't be totally blamed on DCI either.... IMO, cheap prices helped fuel public interest back in corsp heyday. Or at least when Drum Corps were mentioned in corps strips (have two of them) or TV shows.