You know drum corps is dying when.............

Well, is drum corps not a band of marching musicians? I think it's fair to call them a marching band then. It's like the whole square/rectangle thing. Every drum corps is a marching band. Not every marching band is a drum corps.

Anything I might say in response would brand me a dinasour. Instead I'll just concede the point.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez Louise. Can the mods just create a "Dinosaur Complaints" sub forum, similar to the World Series forum, where those who want to say that drum corps today sucks can go grouse about how much better it was back whenever they marched?

:tongue:

I don't really care for the OP's intent here, but to those complaining that some of his items aren't true, that was kind of his point. Some of them are true now, others are reasonable guesses about the direction of the activity.

As for Blast, the best thing Will Cook did with Blast was to leave DCI before he tried it. I never saw it, but I'm sure it was great. But there's also value in having rules and restrictions and competition and continuity and music made solely by humans and not electricity.

Well, is drum corps not a band of marching musicians? I think it's fair to call them a marching band then. It's like the whole square/rectangle thing. Every drum corps is a marching band. Not every marching band is a drum corps.

Just for fun and to throw some more fuel on the fire...

You say one is the other but the other is not the one. So how do you distinguish drum corps when all marching bands are not drum corps?

When someone asks about what you do (in this idiom) do you say "I go watch marching bands that are drum corps"? How does that clarify the answer to the questioner? :tongue:

(I have my own answer so don't try to tell me what to say. I'm asking about your answer to the question.)

This whole argument has been stupid for all time, and yet so many, trying to prove how smart and enlightened they are try to tell the rest of us how wrong we have been for all these years. *sigh*

Edited by garfield

The challenge is to find innovative music that engages the crowd rather than alienating it. Blue Devils were fantastic this year - their execution was a thing of beauty. But the show didn't really reach out and grab you.

I remember a time when I had to make sure there were no young kids near me when Blue Devils came on, because there was a good chance that at some point during the show I would reflexively jump to my feet and start screaming profanity involuntarily. They hit you with so much fire you couldn't help yourself. This is similar to the all-but-forgotten concept of "throwing babies."

This year, the primary response of the audience was polite applause.

To me a large part of drum corps is about grabbing the audience and giving them those explosive moments. That seems to happen less and less.

People are sick of BD winning and they want "anyone" else to win. If you listen to the "unmentionable" site videos of the 2010 finals presentations, you actually hear, "anyone but BD" said from the videographers over and over. So....taking the 2011 BD production "Moses crosses the Red Sea" complete with parting water would produce the same result. The truth is... you won't love BD again until they lose for a while....it's how it's done around here. And BTW, BD knows that and it doesn't change a thing....in fact, it inspires them!

As far as the topic is concerned....DC isn't dying, it's evolving.

Edited by Plan9

Geez Louise. Can the mods just create a "Dinosaur Complaints" sub forum, similar to the World Series forum, where those who want to say that drum corps today sucks can go grouse about how much better it was back whenever they marched?

Geez Louise. Can the mods just create a "Bandos Complaints" sub forum, similar to the World Series forum, where those who have no clue what real drum corps is and think that the esoteric, non-accessible, arranger/instructor-centric, feminized, mezzo-piano dominant, snore inducing shows that pass for drum corps today can go grouse about how much better it would be if they could shut down those on DCP who continually remind us how intense, emotional, memorable, and truly "Live & Loud" drum corps once was?

Well, Geez, this confuses me considering you and I just had a discussion over on that other thread that irritates you so much... :tongue:

But on point, can the mods also create a thread where all the sugar-pumped noobie bandos can go and over-hype, freshman flute-player-like, how much they LOVE all the Miley Cyrus, smoke-machine, fake music blasting gizmos that DCI is now giving them? "Cause, like, my DAD, like NEVER got to walk through, like, SMOKE! He's, like, so OLD and all, I'm SOOO glad I didn't, like, dance and stuff, back in the OLD DAYS, like 1980! You know?"

Geez Louise. Can the mods just create a "Bandos Complaints" sub forum, similar to the World Series forum, where those who have no clue what real drum corps is and think that the esoteric, non-accessible, arranger/instructor-centric, feminized, mezzo-piano dominant, snore inducing shows that pass for drum corps today can go grouse about how much better it would be if they could shut down those on DCP who continually remind us how intense, emotional, memorable, and truly "Live & Loud" drum corps once was?

Here's the fundamental difference. There really is no "Bando Complaints".... those of us on the other side of the argument aren't beating up Madison for being traditional...we love it! BUT..we also love other stuff as well....new ideas, new sounds, new visual concepts, new ways of exploring music. We appreciate it all, and don't grumble everytime someone tries something new. And most of us don't think DC is dying, but "some" of the dinos need it to appear to be dying so they can use that as leverage to stop some of the new things and get DC back to the way it was.

Well said! :tongue: